PDA

View Full Version : Hygiene of the Cage

spiritbird
09-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Since my two birds have been mostly cage bound because of clipping wings I have to feed them everything in the cage. This causes the need to make sure the mess that is left is cleaned properly. How many members feed the human foods inside the cage? I will attempt to train them to eat the chop and other foods in another area after they are flying again.

Hygiene - A very important requirement. Parrot dropping contain many different enzymes and urates. All of these can "go off" and all can cause problems if not cleaned up properly. Fruit left in the cage soon decomposes at room temperature, the fungi and bacteria is invisible to the naked eye for a long time before any odour or visual signs of decomposition show. Discarded seed, pellet even water can contain harmful bacteria and disease. To avoid all these dangers, cages must be kept clean. The tray should be cleaned at least once a day, and the whole cage cleaned once a week and wiped down with a specific avian disinfectant. All food bowls should be cleaned and disinfected daily

What is your cage cleaning routine?

Lady
09-01-2015, 11:59 PM
Great information there Dianne,

When we start our day Lady gets a clean bowl of fresh filtered water and some bountiful harvest blend. After work she gets a quick paper change and sweep of her tray and a fresh clean bowl of water as well as fresh raw veggies. About two hours later when it's time for me to eat and I have set aside some human food for her she will eat it on a paper plate. Once dishes are done I remove any leftovers and wipe her cage using a rag of grape seed extract and water. If she desires a treat she has to come out of her cage to eat.
Sometime I switch up and give her a treat before the human food is ready, but again she has to come and get it from me rather than eat it in her cage.

spiritbird
09-02-2015, 12:47 AM
GSE is supposed to be great for cleaning. A breeder I knew washed her hands with it before she touched her baby birds.

94lt1
09-02-2015, 12:51 AM
I take a harsh path on this..i use a chemical called super clean and very hot water to clean the birds cages..and make sure to thoroughly wash and rinse after scrubbing...and reassembly.. Of course the birds are no where near their cages until this is done..

Lady
09-02-2015, 12:58 AM
94lt1

Sounds like a weekly/monthly thing, I wouldn't have the time to do that daily. But then again you have many more birds than I do.

94lt1
09-02-2015, 03:26 AM
Weekly..as far as daily..we change their papers and scrub the bottom of the cage.. Well..probably every other day..
Food dish and water dish are washed and food changed and filtered water given..their treats are given outside of the cage..