PDA

View Full Version : Blue and Gold Macaws

PeachyDoll
09-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Yesterday I was out and about and passed a storefront and there were 2 Blue and Gold macaws in a cage/aviary. I went inside to say hello, pretty birds etc. One was much larger than the other by 30%, the chest width and overall body and head. I don't know how the macaw folks here do it! He was terrifying, although I don't know if the larger one was a he. The tail was significantly longer and he was telling me how it was, kicking out his wings. getting a little feather raising and perhaps giving me the stink eye. The smaller B&G did not pay me any attention.

I wasn't close to their aviary but I backed away when I thought he/she was posturing, I didn't want to upset them and I wasn't sure about reading his/her behavior. What a magnificent creature though. I'd never seen a macaw in person and they are not for the faint of heart. Looked to be about 2 1/2 times the body size of Rosie, or maybe I was in shock at the wing span.

Are the males larger than the females?

spiritbird
09-01-2015, 08:01 PM
Most birds are big to me because I have had littles for a while now. Thanks for posting.

Lady
09-01-2015, 11:37 PM
Wow, they sound magnificent! As you know I only have a mini mac so I'm in awe as well with the bigger Macs.

kendrafitz
09-02-2015, 03:34 PM
For me, the best way to read a macaw is their eyes along with body language. Eyes pinning is interested/excited or annoyed. If eyes pin with a mohawk back off. Full head neck fluff is happy (or getting ready to poop with Rosie).

Macaws do find it funny to scare people with lunging. They are just big goofy feathered cuddle bugs...With a slightly twisted sense of humor imo.

The funny thing is I find small birds scarier than macaws. Macaws slowly apply pressure which gives you a chance to get away without blood shed. You can insert your thumb and index finger in their beak to get them to open it. Little birds seem to just go for blood...lightening quick, they are not fooling around!

I am really not sure if males are bigger or not. Rosie is on the small side. Her vet said she should not get heavier than 1200 g for her frame. I don't think she has gone over 1100. She seems thin to me but the vet says she is fine. She is more praise driven than food driven.

Mr Peepers
09-02-2015, 05:00 PM
I'm curious the cost of the macaws, did you see how much they wanted for one?

PlaxMacaws
09-02-2015, 06:26 PM
What Kendra said is pretty accurate. But as with other species, each macaw is an individual with a unique personality. So it's not always possible to read them correctly or predict what's next. For the most part, though, they are indeed big goofy feathered cuddle bugs (as Kendra has characterized them :)).

With large macaws, males are often a bit on the bigger side, boasting larger heads and beaks with overall heavier structures. But that's not always the case. I've encountered some pretty huge female macaws too. And there are some fairly small males around as well.

Cedardave
09-03-2015, 01:18 AM
Macaw prices in Canada range from about $2500 to $3000 from a breeder.Hyacinths from one breeder go for a whopping $20000!!!!

Mr Peepers
09-03-2015, 04:08 PM
Macaw prices in Canada range from about $2500 to $3000 from a breeder.Hyacinths from one breeder go for a whopping $20000!!!!

I've seen some crazy high prices on kijiji lately for macaws and greys. But then most birds on that site are usually costly, I can go to a breeder and buy a male singing canary for $40 but on kijiji they are advertised $120 and higher for a standard canary. Crazy.

Lady
09-03-2015, 10:51 PM
Mr Peepers

Here, Petsmart wants $149.99 for a Canary.

Mr Peepers
09-04-2015, 05:35 PM
Mr Peepers

Here, Petsmart wants $149.99 for a Canary.

That's a store, all pet stores here would ask a high price for a canary or any other bird that's where they make their money.

kijiji is like craigslist, its a site like buy and sell of mostly hobby and show breeders trying to sell off extra stock so I don't understand them trying to sell a canary bird for $100 or more, when I can find a breeder who isn't on kijiji and buy a canary for $40.

These same show and hobby breeders don't sell a canary to a pet shop for $100 and up, the stores can easily find cheaper breeders so they can make money. Sad reality.

Lady
09-04-2015, 11:48 PM
Sad reality.

So true!

I didn't know what kijiji was tho, till now.

PeachyDoll
09-25-2015, 03:39 PM
I saw the 2 Blue and Golds again yesterday. They are in a non pet shop and not for sale. They were sharing a food bowl and I was able to speak to the owner for a few minutes about them. The larger one is indeed the male. He was in a much better mood yesterday and the female was more animated and was floofing her head and more vocal. As I left their necks were intertwined and they were snuggling. The owner said they were 28 years old. Those tails of theirs are something and I watched as they lifted and manoeuvered them to clear their perches to sit in the opposite direction.