PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Hook

spiritbird
08-30-2015, 07:47 PM
I was sitting in a chair reading and looked up to see Kobe struggling and hanging from the hook of a boing. He was perfectly silent which is unusual for him. I immediately got up to have a look and saw that his toe was caught in the hook. I could not get to him properly so I took the boing and Kobe out of the cage together and managed to release his toe. He is OK and is not even favoring his foot. If there is a hole in something in the cage he seems to manage to find it.
I never noticed this hook was different from all of my others. So please check all of your hooks and be sure it is not the kind that has a small hole on the curve of the hook.

kendrafitz
08-30-2015, 10:06 PM
Wow! I would have been a mess. Glad that he is OK and will check my clips. Thank you for the heads up!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PlaxMacaws
08-31-2015, 12:04 AM
That's one of those cheapo Chinese quick-link imitations. I'm not sure about the ones with the small hole on the narrow side like in your photo... but that's the type that come with the majority of hanging bird toys from many sources. I'm glad Kobe is okay!

spiritbird
08-31-2015, 12:20 AM
With big bird people it will not be an issue.

PlaxMacaws
08-31-2015, 02:14 AM
With big bird people it will not be an issue.That's correct. The issue with large macaws is they tend to bend those small links into pretzel shapes and crack the sleeves apart - which is dangerous :(. Salsa has cracked those threaded sleeves on them into smithereens a couple of times in fact. I won't even allow him near them anymore.

Mare
08-31-2015, 04:16 AM
Wow, I'm glad Kobe is okay and you were home to help him! The only issues I've had with nails getting stuck is on the rope perches and only with Amigo. If he is stuck in his cage, without getting out for more than a day, he will chew apart one of those 2" diameter perches within hours. The hanging strings are scary because he gets his nails stuck in them. We go through a lot of rope perches around here :)

spiritbird
08-31-2015, 12:43 PM
If these hooks are not said to be stainless steel there is no way to know what the metal is. There are so many dangers for the littles and the bigs in the bird world. I guess there are in the wild also.

PlaxMacaws
08-31-2015, 02:29 PM
If these hooks are not said to be stainless steel there is no way to know what the metal is. There are so many dangers for the littles and the bigs in the bird world. I guess there are in the wild also.That's true. Unless lab analysis were involved. The one in your photo is not stainless steel. I have quite a few of them like it in a drawer. They are made from a cheap base metal material and then flash plated, often with nickle. The underlying metals may well contain zinc. There are no safeguards or concerns in China.

spiritbird
08-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Wish I could remember which toy this hook came on. I would write them a nasty note. I have a plastic baggie full of hooks and none of them have a hole like this one does.

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-06-2016, 12:36 AM
Get your fasteners from a yacht chandler or mountaineering store, that way you will know that they are strong and safe. :th_smile:

spiritbird
02-06-2016, 01:16 AM
Since I only buy bird items on TNT now all hooks are sturdy and safe. Got a sale on the store and the bonus in the box was a very safe looking bell. My birds are testing it for the owner. I bet you cannot find a SS safe bell in a pet store.

Penny
02-06-2016, 02:07 AM
When I first started making my toys it was so important to me to find safe parts, I'm glad I found a supplier I can trust.

spiritbird
02-06-2016, 03:54 AM
Yes that is important. Can you share photos of the toys you make in the toy forum?

Albert
02-06-2016, 09:26 PM
Do not trust anything that comes from China. Trust me. I am over there in the industrial manufacturing area around Shenzhen twice a year, and that's to make sure that our manufacturers do not cut corners. Honestly in China cutting a corner is not considered something evil or bad, it makes the manufacturer just a smarter businessman. A whole different mental mindset.

Lady
02-06-2016, 11:29 PM
Goodness Dianne, I'm glad you noticed Kobe and he is ok.
There is quite a bit of a challenge for us when we purchase items for our birds. It is always a good idea to watch them when they are playing with anything new or something they've had around their cage for a bit. At a certain point there are toys I almost hate to toss but if I feel she may get hurt in some way if she destroys it any further I just have to toss it.

Penny
02-06-2016, 11:35 PM
Yes that is important. Can you share photos of the toys you make in the toy forum?

I sure can! I'm even putting a few more designs online tonight. I'm excited to share them in the toy forum. :cool: