PDA

View Full Version : Black Palm Syndrome

spiritbird
08-27-2015, 10:18 PM
I just learned about this from a member here and was doing some reading about how difficult it is to raise healthy baby black palm cockatoos. Given the following information I have a question for palm people.
Does this syndrome exist in the wild or is it only with the domestic birds?

The most difficult of the psittacine birds to breed, black palms lay one egg per clutch. The babies hatch easily, but chick mortality is high. They often die around 1 year old, just as they finish weaning. These deaths are often labeled “black palm syndrome.” The chicks appear healthy but suddenly show signs of illness. Results from diagnostic tests and necropsies come back inconclusive — illness unknown. Black palm syndrome also occurs in weaned juveniles and adults.

zeus
08-27-2015, 11:39 PM
Thank's for the plug Dianne :th_smile: I have a feeling it only occurs in captivity. Just a guess. I don't see this mentioned anywhere in the wild. I was not able to take Zeus home till he was about a year old also. He was the first born in two years. I had a reservation for him before he was born.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

kendrafitz
08-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Gorgeous photo of a handsome Zeus!

That is very interesting. Poor babies, I am glad that Zeus' breeder was so careful and sent him home after the danger period.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

zeus
08-28-2015, 03:41 PM
Thank's Kendra :th_smile:

plax
08-28-2015, 07:14 PM
It's truly a shame that the little ones have such a rough go of it :(. Hyacinth chicks have a similarly difficult time remaining alive and passing through to adulthood. But the Black Palms are obviously faced with even a greater struggle in that regard. It makes me appreciate their magnificence all the more!