PDA

View Full Version : Avian Flu and Parrots

spiritbird
08-23-2015, 05:09 PM
Good reading on this subject here: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Avian Flu and Companion Birds

As of now, the risk of contracting avian flu is not particularly high for captive, housebound birds in the U.S. There are, however, two factors which could cause the risk of infection to come into play. The first would be if a bird is allowed a lot of outdoor activity and contact with wild birds. To minimize the risk, do not allow your pet outside without the safety of his cage. If you place your bird's cage outside, be sure watch your bird closely, and keep animals and wild birds away. The second risk factor is the ever-increasing sale of wild caught birds into the pet trade. On top of causing the birds severe trauma during their capture, transport, and sale, this practice could play a role in introducing any number of horrendous diseases -- including avian flu -- to people's homes and aviaries. Hopefully we will not have this second risk in the US. If you are in the market for a new bird, please seek a reputable and experienced breeder to ensure that your new pet is captive bred and healthy.

spiritbird
08-24-2015, 12:42 PM
Bumping this bird related thread. The article written by Sally B is most interesting and anyone who lets their bird outdoors should be informed.

:bump:

Mare
08-24-2015, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the post, Dianne. I do know the risks of allowing Amigo to roam free, my vet has mentioned it , also. So far, so good is all I can say.