PDA

View Full Version : Vinegar and water

wingman
08-21-2015, 10:38 AM
Water and Vinegar
A vinegar-and-water solution can be effective in keeping parakeet cages spotless, hygienic and fresh, according to Susan Chamberlain of BirdChannel.com. This is because of vinegar's natural disinfectant properties -- it can do away with any bacteria that may be lingering in your bird's cage. The water component of the mixture simply serves as a solvent. If your parakeet's cage is unclean, bacterial infection is always a nasty possibility.

Household Cleaning Products
A lot of household cleaning products are aggressive and can bring upon fatal consequences in pet birds. Because of that, it is crucial to abstain from employing them -- whether inside of or surrounding your pet's living area. Just because it works in parts of your home doesn't mean it's OK for your bird. If you ever have any concerns or specific questions regarding safety in cleaning products marketed specifically for cage cleaning, consult an avian veterinarian first.

Mixture
If you're looking to conduct a basic cleaning of your parakeet's cage, a blend of a single cup of white vinegar for every gallon of tap water is beneficial. If you put this mixture into a misting container, you have an easy and practical way to spruce up your bird's cage.

Droppings
Aside from use in overall cleaning jobs, undiluted white vinegar also can be useful for removing tough and persistent remnants of bird droppings throughout your pet's cage. Simply submerge a cotton pad in some white vinegar and allow it to rest over the yucky stuff for half an hour or a little less. Pet supplies stores also sell spray products made to quickly eliminate lingering bird droppings. If you make a point to clean out all of the cage's droppings on a daily basis, however, they won't have sufficient time to harden.

spiritbird
08-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Great post Charlie. It is important to know that if you are fighting a specific organism like I was when my budgie had yeast to look up the cleaner you are using to see if it is effective in killing that organism. This way you can be sure your efforts will work. Heinz is putting a stronger vinegar on the market called "cleaning vinegar" which has a higher percentage of acetic acid.

Mare
08-21-2015, 09:27 PM
Vinegar is my go to cleaning agent around animals. It's also good for us humans to ingest. I like to drink a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar, every morning, with a cup of warm water. Good for my innards. :)

Mr Peepers
08-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Vinegar is my go to cleaning agent around animals. It's also good for us humans to ingest. I like to drink a tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar, every morning, with a cup of warm water. Good for my innards. :)

It helps keep gallstones away as it helps dissolve them!

Birdbabe
08-22-2015, 03:56 AM
Also good for keeping drains and plumbing clean, sprinkle about half a cup of baking soda in the drain, add a cup of cheap white vinegar, let it foam and do its thing for about 10 or 15 minutes, then run hot water down,.for 2 or 3 minutes,,, do this once a month.

Mr Peepers
08-22-2015, 06:45 PM
Also good for keeping drains and plumbing clean, sprinkle about half a cup of baking soda in the drain, add a cup of cheap white vinegar, let it foam and do its thing for about 10 or 15 minutes, then run hot water down,.for 2 or 3 minutes,,, do this once a month.

I do this often! I don't use bleaches or cleansers to wash tubs and showers sinks toilets etc. I just use a strong vinegar and baking soda. A cup or more of vinegar in a bowl in a few rooms of the house helps remove odors in the air, this can be placed in the den and won't affect SPX where regular air sprays can harm him.

King Parrot
10-05-2015, 05:02 AM
Using vinegar with water is rare idea in parrot diets plan. I never listen before it but it seems a fantastic idea to nutirate your parrot. In the region where climate remain temprate through out the year these tricks are not follows. Can you tell me this vinegar item is best for the parrot of temprate climate

spiritbird
10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
It is unfiltered vinegar. The label usually says "with mother". [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] Humans can consume this also. Generally mixed 2 tsp. per quart of water.