PDA

View Full Version : Bringing a new Conure Home

PBsmom
08-20-2015, 02:20 PM
Not sure if this should go here or in the toy forum, but oh well. We've decided to welcome a Conure into our family. I currently have a cockatiel but since this month is the 1 year mark since our other beloved bubby passed on, we decided it was time for a new bird and found a wonderful Dusky that seems will be a good fit. We've never had a conure before and our cockatiels really don't play with toys. In 9 years of owning Phelix he's yet to actually play with a toy I've given him. I have no idea what he does all day to keep himself busy. So on to my question, what is YOUR conure's favorite toys and treats? We want to stock up on a variety of different toys so we can rotate them and see what our new buddy likes, so need some ideas for toys and treats that have been a hit with other conures! :pinkgrin:

Mare
08-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Hello and Welcome, PBsmom! We do have one more Kendra in our group of crazy bird people, I'll try and keep you girls straight. I don't have a conure but have always wanted one. I understand that they are very smart and quick. I think I might try some of those slotted balls with a little bell inside, just a start. We do have some conures on here, hopefully someone will chime in!

spiritbird
08-20-2015, 06:25 PM
Welcome Kendra. Conures are fun birds and can be a bit head strong at times. Has your cockatiel met your conure yet? Conures love just about any toy but they are especially fond of shredding toys. Here are a few: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mr Peepers
08-20-2015, 07:44 PM
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new conure. I've seen conures playing with everything and anything, like spiritbird says they do like shredding toys. The larger solid plastic cat balls with a bell inside are well liked, rope boings and play gyms, conures enjoy sitting up high on play gyms and playing with ladders and toys you place up high for them.

PBsmom
08-20-2015, 09:56 PM
Yes I'm very excited! I live w/ my sister who's cockatiel is the one that passed so this will technically be her bird, but we both care for them and interact with them. My tiel has not yet met the conure, but I'm sure he won't like him/her. He's a crotchety thing. I think he has little man syndrome. He's always been kinda petite for a cockatiel and has short little legs and he just hates the world (but loves me and we are extremely closely bonded). I found a website with lots of toy parts so we're going to try building some toys for the new baby I think. It's definitely cheaper!

spiritbird
08-20-2015, 10:50 PM
For me making bird toys is a challenge to my old hands. You have young hands and it should be a good experience. Please show us the toys you make.

kendrafitz
08-20-2015, 10:55 PM
Hi Kendra and welcome!! I don't know anything about the little guys. My only experience is with my GW. Just wanted to say hi and welcome to the group!

PBsmom
08-22-2015, 02:35 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! We brought the baby home today. His/Her name is Marvel. Marvel hasn't been sexed so we'll find out the gender later. S/he is VERY cuddly already and was glued to my sister from the time she held him/her at the store until we HAD to put him/her in their cage to settle in a bit. I also briefly introduced Marvel and Phelix, who eyed each other suspiciously for a couple seconds then ignored each other completely. That may change, but today I had one on each shoulder and neither really noticed the other, which is perfect. I know Phelix like the back of my hand and he's cool with other birds if they ignore him, but if they try to play or bug him he'll get after them. We ended up buying some toys and had some older ones we sanitized for Marvel so there's LOTS in their cage but I will post the homemade toys when I get them made. I'll attach a pic of Marvel with my sister and Marvel's cage (which, due to the angle, looks a little smaller than it really is).

spiritbird
08-22-2015, 12:04 PM
Your conure is adorable. Important to note that conures are very active birds and need a much larger cage to live in. The cage in the photo is really too small. Flight cages are best because they have room to exercise more. I am giving you a link to a very nice cage. If you check in every day the price can be lower. I have seen it as low as $139. with delivery. I have this cage and it is very nice with the correct bar spacing. Please make every effort to get this bird in a larger cage.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]|%20Cages%20&%20Stands-_-0380cb4e-95d8-4cd5-862d-a3b6df21df3e&gclid=CL2TqqfSvMcCFcESHwodriwCsA&kpid=1489577

PBsmom
08-22-2015, 04:04 PM
From what I have consistently read, my cage is within the recommended guidelines for conures of his size. :/

Mr Peepers
08-22-2015, 06:40 PM
From what I have consistently read, my cage is within the recommended guidelines for conures of his size. :/

Will your conure be out of the cage spending a good deal of time on a play gym and with you? A larger flight cage offers tons of room for them to exercise while they climb and jump/fly from toy to toy and food dishes if you are at school or work and the bird needs to be housed for several hours a day.

The amount of outside cage activity your bird has daily is how you can decide on what size cage is good for it.

Lady
08-22-2015, 06:43 PM
Hi Kendra~

Welcome to the forum. Marvel is very cute and I'm sure s/he will bring you both years of fun, laughter and lots of love.

PBsmom
08-22-2015, 07:31 PM
I guess we have a name change lol. The family was discussing it and Marvel just wasn't rolling off the tongue....so s/he will be known, from this moment forward, as Nikolai (Niko). Anyway, we are VERY hands-on bird owners and because our hours are different, the birds are out for SEVERAL hours a day. Basically if we're home, they're out. So s/he will get plenty of exercise. We are also keeping his wings clipped for safety so won't be flying anywhere in his cage or out. His cage is perfect for him to be able to navigate and do lots of different things. It really IS bigger than the picture makes it look.

spiritbird
08-22-2015, 10:46 PM
Depends on the guidelines you are reading. They are different. It also depends on the size conure you have. I would never put a conure in the size cage you have.
Sorry to disagree with you. At a minimum, consider sized bird cage that is 24” wide, 24” deep, and 24” tall. Also watch for bar spacing. Typical bar spacing ranges are 5/8 inch to 3/4 inch wide. What are the measurements of your cage?

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
08-23-2015, 12:02 AM
PBsmom ... What are the dimensions of that cage? In your photo, it looks to be about 2 feet (24 inches) wide and a little more than that high. Just curious.

colbon2
08-23-2015, 02:08 AM
Welcome! Wonderful bird. I have a Rose crown conure named Zoey... She loves chewy toys and shredable toys. She has a large A and E Victorian cage. Or I have flight cages. If it's something you can afford later I would consider getting a bigger cage, but if money is an issue the cage is okay as long as the bird gets out of cage time. Love your birds though. Keep us updated on how the little one develops.

PeachyDoll
08-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Hi Kendra :th_welcome2:

Niko is a cutie for sure. I've always found conures have a little mischievous look on their faces. I hope you get a chance to post some photos of your cockatiel as well.

You can tell you love birds, he has so many toys, perches and goodies. I'm always shopping for goodies/toys for our bird. It's like shopping for a baby :pinkgrin:

Mr Peepers
08-24-2015, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! We brought the baby home today. His/Her name is Marvel. Marvel hasn't been sexed so we'll find out the gender later. S/he is VERY cuddly already and was glued to my sister from the time she held him/her at the store until we HAD to put him/her in their cage to settle in a bit. I also briefly introduced Marvel and Phelix, who eyed each other suspiciously for a couple seconds then ignored each other completely. That may change, but today I had one on each shoulder and neither really noticed the other, which is perfect. I know Phelix like the back of my hand and he's cool with other birds if they ignore him, but if they try to play or bug him he'll get after them. We ended up buying some toys and had some older ones we sanitized for Marvel so there's LOTS in their cage but I will post the homemade toys when I get them made. I'll attach a pic of Marvel with my sister and Marvel's cage (which, due to the angle, looks a little smaller than it really is).

I missed this post with you and Marvel up close and personal, very cute!:th_smile:

How is he adapting to you and his new home? Is he calling to the other bird/s and having fun with all your attention?

colbon2
08-24-2015, 11:16 PM
Oh yeah My conure also loves straws i purchased a wacky whirler online and twirled a few straws and made my own toys all my birds love straw toys I haven't met a bird yet that didn't like straw toys or whicker ball toys... Just thought i might share more ideas!

Even the bird I bird sit a few times a year ...who apperantly doesn't like toys actually played with my wicker ball toys and straw toys while he stayed with me... he is a green cheeck conure

Maddy
08-24-2015, 11:26 PM
Marvel is adorable! I love the name! :)

I have Green Cheek Conures, and some of their favorite toys are things they can shred (finger traps, palm strips, cupcake liners), noisy toys like bells, thin wood, and simple foraging toys. They love sunflower seeds (but not too many, because they aren't too good for them!), nutriberries, millet, and lots of fruits and veggies.

Mare
08-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Sounds like Niko, it is! Love the name and what a cutie!!