PDA

View Full Version : hash tag inclusion

plax
08-19-2015, 05:56 PM
​#announce ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​

Some helpful guidelines for those who wish to use hash tags...

1. If you are using a custom font, you must be certain that the 'Switch Editor to Source Mode' button on the editor toolbar (extreme top left) has not been pressed. If the button is highlighted, you'll need to click it to turn off source mode. If you don't do this the '# TAG' tool button will do nothing when clicked.

2. If you are using a custom font, do not place a hash tag at the end of your message! Doing so will confuse the parser by making it think that your hash tag is the only text within your message and you will most likely receive a "your message is too short" error. With custom font formatting enabled, you may however place your hash tags at the beginning of, or anywhere within your paragraphs. This should allow your messages to post normally and result in activation of your hash tags.

3. For those members using default text mode (i.e., no custom fonts), hash tags should simply work. If they don't, please let me know and describe the circumstances.

Note:
There may be other quirks and practices relevant to hash tag posting which we have yet to learn. As I've stated before, we can learn such things together :)

Mr Peepers
08-19-2015, 06:02 PM
#hotdog! ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

:th_biggrin:

Lady
08-19-2015, 08:34 PM
​#plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​,

Humm, so under the miscellaneous options in the general settings is it best to have the dot at basic or standard rather that Enhanced? Or doesn't that matter.....

Looks like I need more practice~

After editing this post many times, I think I got it!

plax
08-19-2015, 09:12 PM
​#plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​,

Humm, so under the miscellaneous options in the general settings is it best to have the dot at basic or standard rather that Enhanced? Or doesn't that matter.....

Looks like I need more practice~

After editing this post many times, I think I got it!Your options as far as which editor to use are really a matter of personal preference. Sometimes the best thing to do is experiment with each of them :)

PeachyDoll
08-20-2015, 01:01 PM
#amigo ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

because he deserves his own

Lady
05-06-2017, 08:52 PM
Boy we hardly use all these wonderful short cuts much these days. I still like to use the mention button, but I wasn't very good at the hash tag thing :).

PlaxMacaws
05-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Boy we hardly use all these wonderful short cuts much these days. I still like to use the mention button, but I wasn't very good at the hash tag thing :).Well, I'd be willing to bet that you're better at using both of those features now than I am, Alice. I almost never use them anymore ... so you've undoubtedly had more recent practice ;)

Lady
05-07-2017, 12:47 AM
Well I think maybe I'll tag some of our more seasoned members to see if it spikes an interest.

Dragonlady2
05-07-2017, 12:52 AM
Well you have spiked my interest, but I just had a "duh" moment. Got to figure this out again.

Lady
05-07-2017, 01:01 AM
​#Dragonlady2 ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​,
I hear ya! I have to keep trying to figure it out till I can remember how.... when I do get it right!

PlaxMacaws
05-07-2017, 01:48 AM
​#Dragonlady2 ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​,
I hear ya! I have to keep trying to figure it out till I can remember how.... when I do get it right!If you get stuck on something, I'll try and help. Obviously, I am the one who added all of this stuff and initially tested it. But it's probably a good idea that I refresh my memory on a few things ;). If I remember correctly, one of the main issues with using hash tags and mentions is that those of our members who utilize custom fonts must follow some rules to get them to work. The hash tags and mentions must be added outside of the font formatting tags to become active. And that's where the buttons I added should help.

I have a suspicion that you're going to become our 'go to' person for some of the procedures for these features, Alice :th_wink:

Lady
05-07-2017, 02:19 AM
That would be okay by me ​#plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​ as long as I keep using them to keep the "how to" in my head.

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-08-2017, 06:14 PM
Like all new stuff, I will watch with interest for twenty years to see if it is worth me learning about it. Whatever happened to Skype? :)

Lady
05-09-2017, 01:32 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

PlaxMacaws
05-09-2017, 02:26 AM
Alice, your description sounds correct to me. Here's how I would describe the user tagging and mention options.

Thread user tags (placed within the User Tag List above each thread) are for alerting all the listed users to activity within the particular thread.

@username mentions are alerts for the specific users named that are placed within the post body.

#hashtag names are for grouping posts from different threads into common groups.

Those, as you've explained, are in addition the the normal post quoting notifications. So there are plenty of options to get someone's attention. Overkill perhaps?

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-09-2017, 02:41 PM
So, if I add #plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) to a reply, what exactly happens?
ditto plax

plax
05-09-2017, 03:05 PM
So, if I add #plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) to a reply, what exactly happens?

Please be aware, though, that anyone using these options who has modified their font style from its default will need to take extra steps to make certain the tags and mentions they use will activate properly. Alice is becoming our resident expert on those steps :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
05-09-2017, 06:59 PM
First of all what will I notice and secondly will it work on a name with character spaces or will it just pick up Casper's and save them the nuisance of typing in the extra words?
And what happens if they forget the apostrophe?

plax
05-09-2017, 09:23 PM
First of all what will I notice and secondly will it work on a name with character spaces or will it just pick up Casper's and save them the nuisance of typing in the extra words?
And what happens if they forget the apostrophe?It will mostly do what I described in post #15 ;)

EDIT:

plax
05-09-2017, 09:40 PM
Casper's 2nd best friend The custom fonts have always presented a problem. The default font works somewhat smoothly.