PDA

View Full Version : Dangers of Stunting Growth in Handfed Psittacines

spiritbird
08-17-2015, 08:50 PM
I agree with what this author is writing. Its something many of us may not even realize. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] If you scroll down to the bottom of the page you will see a control for enlarging the page.

Recently I had a conversation by e mail with someone many people may know. I was asking about supplies on stand by for feeding chicks if there was a problem. This person stated that chicks should be pulled at 2 weeks for hand feeding or else they would be wild. I really do not think this is right. There are many things the parent birds need to teach the chicks before we humans intervene. Its kind of sad to know that we are raising baby chicks without them ever being exposed to their parents - from incubator to being sold for the pet trade. I cannot imagine they would be very healthy after not having the benefit of "natures way". What do you think?

Mr Peepers
08-17-2015, 09:50 PM
I have show breeder friends in the UK who don't pull their chicks from the parent birds until they start popping out of the nest box at 7 - 8 weeks old. The chicks are still bugging their parents for a feed but they are well capable of eating on their own and do so.

These breeders handle the chicks daily and check for things like splayed legs or if the crop is full and are continuously monitoring what's happening with a group of breeding birds some times in numbers of 10 - 20 pairs. The chicks are all laid back calm and hand tame at 8 weeks due to the breeders care.

The only time a breeder will hand feed is if a chick is not getting enough food or might have a health issue he needs to keep a close eye on. Show breeders also will hand feed a chick/s if the parent birds are harming and plucking the chicks.

The breeders let the parents do the work and job they are suppose to do, that's feeding the chicks/keeping them warm and safe. The breeders touch and daily monitoring of the chicks each day creates calm chicks that will easily become anyone's hand tame pet or a proud show bird standing tall in a show cage not fearing the noise of people and activity around it.

All breeders have different views of how their birds should be handled. It's up to the breeder and what they are trying to achieve with their breeding outcome. As there is a great difference between professional show breeders and people who breed to sell birds as pets to the market or sell birds to pet stores.

spiritbird
08-17-2015, 10:26 PM
Those are responsible breeders .

Mr Peepers
08-17-2015, 10:49 PM
Those are responsible breeders .

Show breeders are very intense with their birds, take budgie breeders for example. If a show breeder has 5 pair - 10 birds nesting with chicks he is hoping for a good turn out of maybe 3 - 4 birds that MIGHT be contenders for a show bird. Those 3 - 4 he will keep. Yet he might have 30 chicks from this breeding period.

He will keep a few more maybe another 6 on top of the 3- 4 birds he will really wants as he needs to re-breed color characteristics and quality back into other birds.

This means he still has 20 new chicks to deal with, some he will trade/sell and deal to a few to other show breeders. These show breeders want chicks and parent birds with winning color & quality to cross breed into their own stock to create that amazing winning budgie!

Now the show breeder still has 10 or more chicks on his hands he doesn't need. Some will go to a pet shop, a bunch will be sold or given away to people who want a hand tame calm bird as a pet.

People love the larger show birds and are happy to buy them as a pet as they are calmer and can handle a loud house with kids and noise because this show breeder took the time and effort to hand tame his chicks so he can assure his stock will move on and not be a burden to himself and his hobby.