PDA

View Full Version : new editor buttons - including hash tag workaround for members using custom fonts

plax
08-17-2015, 05:28 PM
I've added 3 new message editor buttons. ​#announce ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) ​

The one with the Facebook "f" will wrap tags around a Facebook video ID number to embed the associated video into a post.

The one that's labeled "# TAG" will allow hash tag names (entered in posts by members with custom fonts) to become fully active hash tags upon post submission. A member merely need highlight the hash tag name (including the leading # symbol) and then press the "# TAG" button once. The highlight will immediately disappear. The tag name will then become active once the message has been submitted. Note: Add your hash tags at the head of your message body (as I've done on this post), not at the end! Those members not using custom fonts need only type their hash tag names to make them active within submitted posts - there is no need for them to use the toolbar button.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I've also enabled the 'Recent Hash Tags' sidebar block.

If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and answer them.

EDIT: I've also centered the Quick Reply action buttons (i,e., 'Post Quick Reply', 'Go Advanced', 'Cancel'). I did so for the same reason that I moved the post footer action buttons slightly to the left: because they were conflicting with the anchor link zone on the extreme right side. There's no need to change the location of the counterpart action buttons on the Advanced Reply editor or on the Quick or Full editors, since nothing interferes with them in their current positions.

Mr Peepers
08-17-2015, 07:39 PM
Excellent! Thanks for all the hard work you've been putting in here. Looks great and works great too. :th_smile:

spiritbird
08-17-2015, 11:40 PM
Like the new placements. Reply seems to be working faster.

plax
08-18-2015, 02:13 AM
For several days, I've been trying to come up with a way to allow # tags to become active in posts that contain custom font formatting. I finally came up with my method for doing it yesterday. So now I feel better about moving on to other things :D

Mr Peepers
08-18-2015, 04:30 PM
I really like the centering of the post QReply and Go Adv, and Cancel. :th_smile:

Lady
08-19-2015, 03:36 AM
So now I feel better about moving on to other things :D

Other things???? :th_faint: You have been doing so much around the site (upgrading and adding fun stuff) that I think it's time for a day off :).

Thanks Tony, for all you do!!
I too like the new arrangements.

plax
08-19-2015, 04:20 AM
You're all welcome, of course :)

The hash tag system may take some getting used to (including for me). I think once each of us becomes used to using it, doing so may become a more frequent thing. Please note that you can't enter a hash tag name that includes the "#" symbol into the fields on your hash tag subscription page. The system will indeed accept the names, but the names won't result in activated hash tags. Additionally, the default behavior when a member submits a hash tag word within a post is that the member is not automatically subscribed to that hash tag. The member thus must subscribe to the hash tag manually (if desired, that is).

One change is that I've moved the hash tag sidebar block up one space. It's now directly under the 'Visiting Members' block.

Enjoy!

Lady
06-05-2016, 07:29 PM
Plax, just re reading and trying to work with learning how to use the hash tag. Seems it didn't work when I tried it earlier.

Go figure the #tag worked here, but the mention didn't show.

Lady
06-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Oh so I'm guessing that I have to just type gripe after hitting the key.....

Let's see if that works :).

Nope, so let me hit the # key on my keyboard and type gripe.......

#gripe ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) then hit the key above....

now I got it.

plax
06-05-2016, 08:44 PM
Plax, just re reading and trying to work with learning how to use the hash tag. Seems it didn't work when I tried it earlier.

Go figure the #tag ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) worked here, but the mention didn't show.Alice: Make sure that your Switch Editor to Source Mode tool button is not highlighted before you click on the # TAG button.

Lady
06-05-2016, 09:44 PM
When my cursor is hovering over the first box it says switch to WYSIWYG Mode.....so am I already in source mode?

plax
06-05-2016, 10:22 PM
When my cursor is hovering over the first box it says switch to WYSIWYG Mode.....so am I already in source mode?No, you are not. If you were it would say "Switch Editor to Source Mode". Click it once and the highlighting on the button will turn from blue to white. That should fix your issue.

EDIT:

Lady
06-05-2016, 11:46 PM
Well you sure know your stuff so I'm sure it will work now. ​​

#PlaxMacaws

Lady
06-05-2016, 11:48 PM
Good grief........I'm have much practice to do #gripe​​

Lady
06-05-2016, 11:49 PM
lol............ #ugh​​

Okay now I'm wasting post time. I'll try again after I reread and maybe go to the test threads :eeeek:

plax
06-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Good grief........I'm have much practice to do #gripe​​Alice: 1) Remove the highlight from the A/A tool button (so it says "Switch Editor to Source Mode"), 2) type your tag word and then drag a highlight across it, 3) click the # TAG tool button one time (your highlight will vanish), 4) hit the submit post button. Tell me how that works for you :)

kendrafitz
06-06-2016, 05:15 PM
Well, I tried it several times and ways. I am going to give after this last try:

​#hashtaghater​​​hashtaghater​​

plax
06-06-2016, 06:46 PM
Well, I tried it several times and ways. I am going to give after this last try:

Yeah, I don't blame you. It's certainly not a requirement that you use hash tags within your posts, Kendra ;) But I do wonder why they aren't working for you. If they're not working for you on your computer, there has to be a step you're either missing or misinterpreting. My guess is that you missed the following warning from my original post:

Note: Add your hash tags at the head of your message body (as I've done on this post), not at the end! Those members not using custom fonts need only type their hash tag names to make them active within submitted posts - there is no need for them to use the toolbar button.You can actually embed the tags into your text as well. They just can be at the end.

But oh well :indecisiveness:. Thanks for trying :)

kendrafitz
06-06-2016, 06:52 PM
Tony, I will try again when I go upstairs. Rosie is napping in my room and I don't want to disturb her. She had her shower which generally relaxes her a bit and I think may make her a little sleepy. Disturbing the sleepy queen could result in her yelling her unhappiness with me very loudly. ;) I try to avoid that if at all possible.

I originally tried with it in mid post. But I forgot this time, so that may be the issue.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

plax
06-06-2016, 07:03 PM
Tony, I will try again when I go upstairs. Rosie is napping in my room and I don't want to disturb her. She had her shower which generally relaxes her a bit and I think may make her a little sleepy. Disturbing the sleepy queen could result in her yelling her unhappiness with me very loudly. ;) I try to avoid that if at all possible.Fully understandable! It's not a biggy, though. I won't lose any sleep if you want to drop it ;)

I originally tried with it in mid post. But I forgot this time, so that may be the issue.Could be :)

Lady
06-07-2016, 12:14 AM
Well let's see what can I ​fuss​ about now? Had a pretty good Monday and I made it to PP to see how my fid friends are doing so, I guess I don't really have anything to fuss about :).

Lady
06-07-2016, 12:16 AM
LOL, guess I do have to​ fuss.​ I just don't have the hash tag thing down.

Okay kendrafitzI'm with you, lol.

Lady
06-09-2016, 12:10 AM
HUH???? SO I was doing it correctly??? :happy-feet::happy-feet::happy-feet:

EDIT:

Tony, it's all good, we all have days like that. Hope the cloud lifts soon for you :joyous:.

plax
06-09-2016, 04:38 AM
Alice: You have to be in WYSIWYG mode in order for the # TAG button to do its thing. You were correct about the fact that you were not in WYSIWYG mode.

Lady
05-06-2017, 08:56 PM
​ ​#​plax​.....just seeing if I remember how to do this. Which I'm sure I forgot.

Lady
05-06-2017, 08:57 PM
#plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) not sure if this is right either.

Lady
05-06-2017, 09:02 PM
:happyfeet:

uh oh where did happy feet go? :happy-feet:

guess I broke something...

plax
05-06-2017, 09:18 PM
​ ​#​plax​.....just seeing if I remember how to do this. Which I'm sure I forgot.If it's any consolation, I'm sure I've forgotten a lot about this stuff, too, Alice ;)

plax
05-06-2017, 09:22 PM
#plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) not sure if this is right either.Yay! That worked :)

Lady
05-06-2017, 09:25 PM
:th_biggrin:Yup it sure did. Now if I can just remember how I did that!!! Just kidding, I just have to use it more often so it will be like riding a bike :).

plax
05-06-2017, 09:36 PM
:th_biggrin:Yup it sure did. Now if I can just remember how I did that!!! Just kidding, I just have to use it more often so it will be like riding a bike :).The same applies for me... what we don't use, we may lose :th_eek:

Lady
05-06-2017, 09:39 PM
#plax ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) I agree repetition is the key for me too.