PDA

View Full Version : A new member :)

Mare
08-15-2015, 02:52 AM
Look who I brought home today! She has no name..yet..suggestions are welcomed!
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

kendrafitz
08-15-2015, 12:24 PM
Yayyyy! Congrats! How did she end up coming with you? She is so sweet looking...so happy for Chip that he has a new friend!

PeachyDoll
08-15-2015, 01:13 PM
Mare she's a beauty. How old is she? There's a Moluccan on youtube named Jellybean, I always thought that was an adorable name, might be too long a name for your flock who have 5 letters or less in their names.

Then there's: Dulce, Luna or Chica (if you wanted to stay with the Amigo theme)

I'm not really good with names.

Has she met Chip? How did they react to one another? I can't wait to see more pictures of her!

spiritbird
08-15-2015, 01:31 PM
Since your lovely photo shows your new bird in the sunshine how about Sparkle? If male it would be Sparky. If you want another A name how about Athena? Personally I like the name Sierra to represent the area where you live.

Mare
08-15-2015, 04:23 PM
You guys are so creative, great names, ALL! I LOVE Jellybean, so cute! Jellybean it is!! :). She is a pet store special. Yeah, I know I said I would not buy from one but she was too sad, I couldn't leave without her. She was in a cage too small with many other tiels, TOO many other tiels and she sat on the floor of the cage by herself, not enough perches. Half the birds didn't have any tail feathers and I discovered why when the girl came in to pull this little one out..she grabbed them by their tail feathers!!

I have her separate from the others, for now. She's very quiet, doesn't move around much and I've not seen her eat or drink, yet. I'm hoping she's just scared and taking time to adjust to the new place. I'll get her in for a vet check next week.

She's young, quite a bit smaller than Chip, the girl wasn't sure of her exact age (stupid pet shop people..they piss me off!). Anyways, she's cute as a bug, alert and will step up without too much fuss. Her wings are clipped and that's ok for now, I'd like to get her really tame before she starts flying. I'll get more pics up, soon!

Jellybean says, "thanks for the nice welcome aboard"!!

Lady
08-15-2015, 04:38 PM
Yay for you and the rest of your flock. Jellybean is a cute name. Sad the pet shop person picked them by their tail, that must hurt and surely is why their feathers are missing. I think if I saw that happen I would have to call their corporate office and remind them how important it is for their business to have folks who have training. Really sad that they let uneducated staff touch animals without knowing how.

PeachyDoll
08-15-2015, 05:48 PM
That is so sad that the pet store picks the birds up by the tail.

I know Jellybean will live a spoiled, happy life in your home Mare!

Mr Peepers
08-15-2015, 05:49 PM
Congrats on the newest addition Jelly Bean! She looks like a sweet thing.

wingman
08-15-2015, 06:01 PM
I was thinking cinnamon girl! To much Neil Young music in my youth?

Mare
08-15-2015, 06:13 PM
Haha, Cinnamon girl is cute, too, Charlie..love Neil Young! She is sweet, Nick..she's starting to relax a little, is moving around her cage and has started to eat some. She and Chip have been carrying on a long distance dialogue!

Alice, the shop I bought her from is privately owned. I've complained to the owner before about the keep of their birds but he just doesn't care, it's gross. Thankfully, he's quit keeping large parrots..THAT was the worst,,I had to quit going in there, it would upset me to tears at the conditions these poor birds had to live in.

PlaxMacaws
08-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Aww, another mouth to feed :). It's great that Chip will now have a companion. It sounds to be quite a good start for Jellybean and you, Mare :D

Mare
08-15-2015, 10:45 PM
Thanks, Tony! I've been slowly and patiently working on getting her use to my hand coming at her so she can step up from inside her cage. The way these birds are drug from their pet store cage..it's no wonder they are hand shy! She's doing a lot better, she's learning that I'm not going to hurt her and I'm NOT going away so she's giving in and I think is starting to enjoy the attention :).
She's doing a little feather dust shake here.

Mr Peepers
08-15-2015, 11:12 PM
She's beautiful such a soft gray and almost a cinnamon coloring. Her crest is up and she's looking interested at you and that little box thing that clicks. :th_biggrin:

PlaxMacaws
08-16-2015, 02:14 AM
Aww gee.... she's sure pretty and cute. And for that matter she's pretty cute, too!

PeachyDoll
08-16-2015, 02:21 AM
Isn't she just precious. How wonderful she is trusting you already. Look at those little feets!!

I feel the same way about pet stores Mare but I also know that I wouldn't have been able to leave her behind on the floor of the cage either. You saved her.

I noticed in the first photo the irregular/natural perch. Rosie much prefers those to the smooth uniforms perches. Makes sense that birds prefer the natural perches as that is what they are used to in the wild.

spiritbird
08-16-2015, 04:17 AM
She really is irresistible. Do you want her in your siggy or a new one?

Mare
08-17-2015, 08:49 PM
Thank you for asking, Dianne! I would love to add Jellybean to my siggy! Let me get a few more pics to chose from, ok?

I prefer a natural perch too, PeachyDoll. This cage she is in is just a starting cage..once she can fly, I will let her loose with Chip. Amigo's and Sassy's cage are all natural and rope perches. Amigo likes to rip his ropes to shreds (not good) but he loves to perch for the night on them.

Nick, I took that pic with my iPad..big/flat box! :)

On a different note..look who broke through quarantine boundaries to check out the new chick on the block?! I was on the phone and I hear Chip flapping down the hallway! The chirps and whistles of joy ensued! Vet check on Weds. I hope she's good.

spiritbird
08-17-2015, 09:11 PM
Oh my Chip will not be able to stay away from her now. Life is a little more interesting for him since Jelly B came along.

PeachyDoll
08-17-2015, 09:34 PM
Chip is going to be a very, very happy boy. Yeah for the 2 of them!!

Mr Peepers
08-17-2015, 09:35 PM
Well doesn't she look interested as well? Chip you naughty boy!

kendrafitz
08-18-2015, 12:36 AM
So happy Chip is taking a liking to his new friend!!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Zoo mom
08-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Jellybean is a cutie. Chip says "She invited me for a visit. If you understood cockatiel, you would know owns that.

PeachyDoll
08-19-2015, 04:56 PM
Mare How's the cutest little Jellybean on the face of the planet? How's the rest of the flock receiving her?

Mare
08-19-2015, 10:51 PM
Jellybean is doing well, she is ready to be with the "others" :). I've been working with her stepping up and letting me touch her on the head and back. She's a bit temperamental but I just power through and she settles in to my attentions, she gets better about it every day.

Her vet check is actually on Thurs., not today. I've decided to check out the vet who is local to me, rather than drive the hour to my bird vet an hour's drive from here. This local vet is the only one in town known to work with birds and although he isn't avian certified, I've heard he's good. I thought I would check him out on Jellybean :)

spiritbird
08-19-2015, 11:02 PM
Has Amigo met her?

Mare
08-20-2015, 12:31 AM
No, Dianne, Amigo has only heard her voice. She seems to be very healthy (to me) and after tomorrow's check I will probably introduce her to the flock. The only bird loose in the bird room is Chip, I already know he's all good with this new addition :)

Mare
08-21-2015, 09:54 PM
Vet check went well with Jellybean, I like the doctor, who's new to me, and he says she's in good health. I didn't go with the blood tests, though. I'll keep her quarantined for one more week, then introduce her to the flock. She is wanting to be back there and they are wanting her there!

I'm having a hard time getting her to eat anything other than her seed. She will munch just a tiny bit on her pellets but won't attempt her chopped up veggies and rice. Do you think I should pull out her seed completely..?..I'm not sure. Chip loves his veggies and rice and pellets. Maybe once they are able to eat together, Jellybean will learn how it works. Any thoughts?..

PeachyDoll
08-22-2015, 12:56 AM
Hopefully Chip will take Jellybean under his wing and show her the ropes of eating yummy fresh fruit and veg.

Glad the vet appointment went well.

spiritbird
08-22-2015, 01:18 AM
When she sees the other birds eating good food she will be more likely to eat it. I would have gone with getting blood tested since she was on a poor diet. Check out my new posting on protein.

Lady
08-22-2015, 01:19 AM
Mare

For what it's worth I would keep trying the veggies and rice. I think your right about when she sees Chip enjoying them. I have read that it is even good to give them just one type of veggie to see which one they prefer, but if you know what your mix is made of and have a good idea of how much you give then I'm sure you can tell what she ate the most of.
Birds are funny critters, some like raw of one item and cooked of another.

Mr Peepers
08-22-2015, 01:31 AM
Once Jelly Bean sees Chip munching his fresh food she will willingly jump in and join him, monkey see monkey cockatiel doooo!

She's new to your home and new foods so you shouldn't worry too much that she's not interested in your fresh chop yet, it usually takes a little time for a bird to accept new things. I'm glad she sounds like she's doing well and the flock are happy to have her with them. :)

PeachyDoll
08-26-2015, 07:31 PM
Hi Mare, how's Miss Jellybean doing? At the end of the week will it be time to introduce to all the flock members?

Mare
08-26-2015, 11:01 PM
Jellybean is doing GREAT, PeachyDoll, thanks for asking! :). I moved her and her cage in with the other bird brains, this morning, and Chip is in HEAVEN! He flew right to the top of her cage and started to serenade her and give her the wolf whistle, cute stuff. I got her out on my fingers and gave her a quick tour of the room, introduced her to Sassy and Amigo and as I go to leave the room with her, Chip flew to my shoulder and came out to the living room with us!

Sassy was quiet when I brought Jellybean up to her cage, she just looked. Amigo screamed and jumped onto the side of his cage with his crown blazing! Jealous boy :(.

She is loving her rice and veggies, too, makes me happy! She's quite the little miss piggy, she eats twice the amount Chip eats!

Lady
08-26-2015, 11:19 PM
So glad to hear things are going so well!

PeachyDoll
08-26-2015, 11:22 PM
Oh my, sounds like Chip might be falling for sweet little Jellybean :adoration: You might just have to keep an eye peeled when those 2 are together. Chip sounds like he is much happier to have a female tiel in house.

Too bad about Amigo not liking her :(

So happy she is stuffing her beak with veggies and rice. Yeah!

Maddy
08-27-2015, 06:06 AM
Jellybean is a gorgeous little girl! I'm glad that Chip is so happy! :)

Mr Peepers
08-27-2015, 05:39 PM
Was Chip very hands on with you before JellyBean arrived?

Mare
08-28-2015, 01:24 AM
No, Nick, Chip is not a hands on bird. He's friendly and not afraid of us but he HATES hands anywhere near him. That's just how he's always been since we've had him. He has often flown to my shoulder in the mornings when I open up their curtains and sing them Good Morning songs but he never stays for long. He and little Jellybean are becoming fast friends, I'm so happy to see this :)

Mr Peepers
08-28-2015, 05:36 PM
No, Nick, Chip is not a hands on bird. He's friendly and not afraid of us but he HATES hands anywhere near him. That's just how he's always been since we've had him. He has often flown to my shoulder in the mornings when I open up their curtains and sing them Good Morning songs but he never stays for long. He and little Jellybean are becoming fast friends, I'm so happy to see this :)

The more Chip sees you with Jellybean and she is hands on can make him relax a bit more and possibly allow some hands on with you, I've had this happen very often with budgies and tiels I've had before.