PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Aviary

jtbirds
05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
So i have started a project and it is going to be our outdoor aviary for the birds to enjoy the nice outdoors without us having to worry as much. We used to have an outdoor aviary built before but it was done wrong and it was before we had the knowledge we do today(this was about 7 years ago)... So i have the wire for this project and need to call the lumbermill and get them to specially make some wood for this masterpeice. I am going to keep you guys updated on the progress and so on hopefully if funds allow we will have it up before the middle to end of june! Just wanted to start the thread now so i can get any pictures of progress up:)

thanks, justin

ShellyBorg
05-07-2013, 02:30 PM
(There is no popcorn emot!)

Sitting with popcorn waiting.

jtbirds
05-07-2013, 04:27 PM
haha dont wait to long it may take us some time to get it up... this is a busy time of year for the family:)

Blancaej
05-28-2013, 02:03 AM
Can't wait to see it! Hurry up!! :th_chickendance:

keepsmiling
05-28-2013, 08:16 AM
I hope you will be double wiring for predators, and adding screen for mosquitoes. I look forward to pics!

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Well Carole I will be Watching at all times so double wire may be overkill, but yes about the screens. We are in the process of adding an addition to my fathers train building pole barn thing and the aviary will be built at the same time:).

judith
05-29-2013, 08:22 PM
This is the "parrot porch" here: ss insect screening on the inside, 1/2 GAW wire on the outside, and the floor is 8' off the ground. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Honesty
05-29-2013, 08:33 PM
Fantastic set up! They look and sound like they are thoroughly enjoying that :)

Also, :th_welcomesign: to PreciselyParrots :)

plax
05-29-2013, 09:31 PM
This is the "parrot porch" here: ss insect screening on the inside, 1/2 GAW wire on the outside, and the floor is 8' off the ground. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]'s wonderful, Judith! It's easy to see how much they're enjoying themselves. That's an amazing idea :D

BTW, welcome to Precisely Parrots!

judith
05-29-2013, 10:14 PM
That's wonderful, Judith! It's easy to see how much they're enjoying themselves. That's an amazing idea :D

BTW, welcome to Precisely Parrots!

Thanks, I'll have the usual trouble following things..:). I hope the parrot porch reminds folks that if you have a deck already, you can do some screening/wiring and have a safe play area so your birds get sunshine, fresh air, and now and then..rain! I put the insect wire on the inside, which allows me to use plain old straight-from-Lowes GAW on the outside: they can't get a beak on the insect wire, and they can't reach the GAW.

plax
05-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Thanks, I'll have the usual trouble following things..:). I hope the parrot porch reminds folks that if you have a deck already, you can do some screening/wiring and have a safe play area so your birds get sunshine, fresh air, and now and then..rain! I put the insect wire on the inside, which allows me to use plain old straight-from-Lowes GAW on the outside: they can't get a beak on the insect wire, and they can't reach the GAW.Very clever! I'm sure your idea may be helpful to many members here with decks. It's great and your birds just love it :D

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 10:43 PM
Thanks a lot Judith although I may have an issue with putting the insect wire on the inside... My m2 is very much destructive and a problem solver(typical right:p), and he would find a way to chew it I am almost sure of it, so I need to think of a different way of using the screening at this point and time. And welcome to the forums!:)

keepsmiling
05-30-2013, 12:07 AM
Justin, I know you'd like to think you will be with them 100% of the time...but what if..... what if's would make me want to double wire and have the safest enclosure possible. My friend has raised birds outdoors in FL for over a decade, and the stories she tells lets me know I would make it safe first.

jtbirds
05-30-2013, 01:29 AM
Yea I agree with you, I am still figuring out how the netting is going and so on. So there is much to apply yet, thanks for the extra thought

Me and my father have raised exotic pheasants for years and I know how easily a hawk can rip a head through wire..