PDA

View Full Version : How do I tame my budgie?

BluTweet
08-08-2015, 10:47 PM
I have a beautiful green budgie but Taffy kept staring at me yesterday! Taffy didn't eat, Taffy didn't drink, just staring at me with its tail wagging just staring at the wall. After Taffy was staring he/she stopped moving, I moved my hand close to Taffy's cage Taffy didn't move away from me which is what Taffy ( idk if Taffy female, the vet said its a 78% chance its a girl buts he/she is still young) normally did so I thought he died.. the next day Taffy ate again! But she keeps scaring me whenever I try to feed Taffy he/she goes crazy and flies all around the cage so I stopped...

What im trying to say is I dont want Taffy to freak out whenever i'm near her and I want to make sure she's alright by touching her and looking to make sure! And plus, shes a cutiepie!

Also if I try feeding him/her to train him/her, do budgie bites draw blood?

:th_smile:

spiritbird
08-08-2015, 11:44 PM
Budgies can bite hard but usually the bite does not break skin. How much do you know about their care, safety and diet? Also where did you get them from?
Please show us a photo of your birds and their cage so we will be better able to help you.

Lady
08-09-2015, 03:45 AM
Hi BluTweet,

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on having a beautiful green Budgie. Sounds like Taffy is new to you. How long have you had her? Sounds like Taffy has just moved in and is trying to get familiar to the sights and sounds of her new home. Give her some time to settle in. Is the cage shes in new to her also? How about her food? Imagine leaving the only place you knew and finding yourself in a new home, with new, often unfamiliar sounds and being given food you never saw before....

I think it would be good if you sat by Taffy's cage or just even in the same room and spoke softly to her. You could even read a few pages from a book to her to help her become familiar with your voice. You don't have to spend the whole day doing it, just a few times a day b/c she is going to need some time to herself as well. It's going to take some time, she is very small compared to humans.

Oh and yes, they can draw blood, but you shouldn't have a problem with that once she trusts you.

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-09-2015, 10:52 AM
Hello and welcome. We all love to see pictures because despite our appearances we are softies at heart and can't help but to go all daft when we see a new bird.
Be very gentle with him/her, no rapid movements and please be patient. It took nine months before Casper realised that I was cool and not the nasty person he thought I was. The wait was well worth it though and now we are best buddies.
Give your new friend as much of your time as you can now and it will reap dividends later. I am a firm believer that the cage should not be a prison but more of a sleep/feed/gym sanctuary that keeps your bird safe whilst you are not there to supervise.

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Well there's some great advice on taking it slow and easy with Taffy. Her trust in you will come gradually. Please try not to rush her because doing so can create permanent distrust in a bird. As was mentioned, simply spending a lot of time near Taffy will be key to forging a great relationship with her.

spiritbird
08-09-2015, 07:59 PM
This is a bird forum where everyone participates in helping new and old members. In another thread you asked why only mods answer. So you see now we all are interested in helping, even our administrator.