PDA

View Full Version : Don't Get A Parrot

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 05:00 PM
Saw this on another forum and it completely resonates with me.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

What does everyone else think?

Mr Peepers
08-08-2015, 06:04 PM
There's some good points on the person's posts I agree with, some NOPE.

Lady
08-08-2015, 06:22 PM
There are some good points like Mr Peepers said, and if we only got parrots from rescues would we have enough knowledge as well as finances to take care of them, I doubt it. I don't know if it is a good idea to discourage others from getting a parrot because there are also many joys of having them as well. I wish there was an easy answer. It is true most were born in captivity so maybe the answer should begin there. Of course also with the smuggling of them.

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 06:47 PM
It is a tough topic.

She has some great points and some not so much. But I like that she tells it the way she perceives it.

I really feel badly for Rosie and wish for her sake she was born in the jungle and able to live her life with a flock of GWs. I really didn't realize how much I will probably never be able to give her when I purchased her. By this I mean the joys of being with other flock mates. She didn't ask to be born into captivity and sold to humans for their amusement. She didn't ask me to bring her home. I made that decision, not realizing what it really cost her and her relatives. That being said I love her and will provide the best home I can for her. But I wish things were different for her.

I know it is the unpopular view but I ALWAYS discourage people from buying parrots when they see my interactions with Rosie. I do this NOT because I feel parrots are bad companions. I do this bc I feel most people fall short in their ability to care for such intelligent, sensitive, not to mention demanding creatures. It is just not fair for the parrots that are bought on impulse and then ignored or abused.

So if posts like these discourage someone from buying a parrot just bc they are cute I am all for it.

PeachyDoll
08-08-2015, 07:08 PM
Well said Kendra.

I'm with everyone else, I agree with some points and disagree with others that she has made. Every parrot is so unique and different. I know that when people Oooh and Awe over Rosie and make a statement like "I want one" I immediately start on my speech of what a big commitment they are, how emotional they are, how loud they can be and how long they live. Some people base their wanting a parrot on a short visit with a bird that they think is so cute and funny. I tell people it's like having a 2 year old for the rest of your life, Can you handle that? for 30 - 50+ years? Very few people have a good grasp of the realities of parrot ownership. I would rather those people come over for a visit with Rosie and spend a few hours with her and get their bird fix that way. People are always shocked to learn that Rosie could live another 30 - 50+ years, you have to have a back-up plan if they live longer than you. It is a major life decision that should never be taken lightly as we all know.

Mare
08-08-2015, 08:53 PM
I found these writings to be "real". I agree on many points, many, many points. Thanks for sharing that with us, Kendra. It's so important for people to know what they are getting into, for the well being of the bird. It sure took me a few years to figure it out, empathy is key.

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-08-2015, 10:12 PM
No one over twenty should buy a parrot because it will probably outlive them. No one under twenty one should buy a parrot because they are not in a position to say what they are going to do with their lives.
That rules everyone out.

Parrots should not have a monetary value, they are cognizant beings and should not be the slaves of humans.

Some well though out points of view in the posts here.

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2015, 02:36 AM
All good points from each of you.

There's one important consideration, though. Birds in rescues desperately need good, forever homes. These birds are already there and each one needs and deserves another chance at becoming a cherished companion to someone and enjoying the security of a loving home for the remainder of its life. Discouraging potentially good human caregivers can reduce the odds for those many, many existing rescue birds of becoming adopted. Whenever someone says "Your bird is so cool... I really want one of my own now!" it's a shame that there's no reliable way to know whether the person is responsible and committed in such decisions, or whether they lean more toward being whimsical and impulsive :(

Again, my main point is this... Please lets not forget the rescue fids who need homes! They truly need people. People are their only chance!

Lady
08-09-2015, 03:13 AM
How about pre parroting classes, kind of like what I have heard about for expecting parents. Hands on, a eight to ten week course (or whatever it would take) before the final deal. Some of that time could be in a rescue.

plax
08-09-2015, 03:48 AM
How about pre parroting classes, kind of like what I have heard about for expecting parents. Hands on, a eight to ten week course (or whatever it would take) before the final deal. Some of that time could be in a rescue.A few rescues actually provide and require parrot familiarization / care classes. Truly impulsive, whim-ish people simply avoid such requirements and gravitate toward resources like pet stores or craig's list :(

Lady
08-09-2015, 04:02 AM
A few rescues actually provide and require parrot familiarization / care classes. Truly impulsive, whim-ish people simply avoid such requirements and gravitate toward resources like pet stores or craig's list :(

Well I guess even if it became a law it wouldn't work, seems some folks find away around things :grumpy:.

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-09-2015, 10:34 AM
If the sale of parrots was outlawed it would not stop the financially motivated from turning a profit. There was a country that tried that with alcohol prohibition and I read that it didn't go well. The answer is education and peer pressure.

Mr Peepers
08-09-2015, 04:04 PM
How about pre parroting classes, kind of like what I have heard about for expecting parents. Hands on, a eight to ten week course (or whatever it would take) before the final deal. Some of that time could be in a rescue.

Nice idea but if someone really wants a bird they won't take classes, they want the bird and want it NOW! So they go to a breeder or buy from craigslist or kijiji.