PDA

View Full Version : Wow!!!!

wingman
08-08-2015, 01:50 AM
I just went into our kitchen and turned on the light ! A huge grass or wolf spider came running across the floor. He met his maker when I smacked him with the fly swatter! He was a tiny bit bigger than a half dollar coin with leg span. I have a fear of something like that biting one of the parakeets or the lovebirds. I really don't know if the birds would eat the spider or the spider would bite the bird??? Do parrots eat spiders???

Lady
08-08-2015, 02:46 AM
E[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I hope not, but I am not exactly sure. I thought spiders don't eat meat but only suck the liquids out of their prey.

wingman
08-08-2015, 03:31 AM
I think there are some huge amazon spiders that actually attack birds...

spiritbird
08-08-2015, 12:25 PM
Glad you saw this thing and took actions to prevent any bird issues.

Mr Peepers
08-08-2015, 06:00 PM
There are some larger spiders that do eat birds but they are the smaller birds like hummers small robins finches etc.

Wolf spiders are known for biting people so its a good thing you got rid of him so you and the rest of the family don't get bit. I don't know if a wolfy would bite a pet bird but it could cause some serious night fright if it ended up on a sleeping bird in the dark of night. You stopped that from happening!

plax
08-09-2015, 01:34 AM
It was good to get rid of the spider. But aside from the fear factor (which can be dangerous - Zaf is terrified of bugs!) most of a fully feathered bird's body surface is somewhat protected by its armor-like, layered surface feathers. And the depth of its down feathering beneath really adds an element of further protection. A spider trying to puncture through the sheer distance of feather material on a bird would be something like a woodpecker trying to poke through someone's drywall ceiling while standing atop the home's shingle roof. It just ain't gonna happen. Spider fangs aren't that long. Of course, there are the bare skin parts on a bird that may be exposed... certain ones more than others. I think a bird's foot is the most vulnerable area for a bug bite. It helps (to a point) that most parrots have a heavy scale structure covering their feet and toes, though... that alone can make it a tough challenge for a spider or other bug. I think the possibility of a spider scaring a pet bird may be the greater threat.