PDA

View Full Version : Question about macaws..

Mare
08-07-2015, 10:01 PM
I have never owned, nor have been around macaws but have always wishful thinked about them :). Are their personalities and temperament different within their own species, (B&G/GW/Military/Zaffer's), or are they all similar in that respect?

Question for Kendra, did you bring Rosie home because of research on macaws and then decided on GW's in particular?

I was driving home from town today, 30min. drive, and for some reason this question popped into my mind. It was only one of 600 but thought I would ask :)

spiritbird
08-07-2015, 10:38 PM
I understand those questions that take up space in our brains. Sorry I cannot answer any Macaw questions.

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 12:10 AM
I only have Rosie to go from. I have met lots of other macaws and read about them, but Rosie is my main base of experience.

I believe that each type of macaw is supposed to have their own basic traits. ie: gentle giants, super mechanical, comedians, etc. But of course that doesn't guarantee that a GW will be sweet, each bird has its own personality regardless of type. 😉

From the macaws I have spent time with, it seems like hys, gws and blue throats have the most easy going temperments. I have read that red fronted macaws are also easy going. Although all the other types of macaws I have met are pretty nice. Blue and Golds are supposed to be the clowns of the group.

If I was ever going to pick another macaw it would be a blue throat or a hy. I just love them both. Never going to happen, but in my fantasy world that's what I would pick. Both super loving, cuddly macs.

Hopefully more experienced people will chime in as I am interested in the differences as well.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 12:28 AM
To answer your question about Rosie Mare, no. Rosie coming into our lives was a complete fluke.

Ashie was obsessed with parrots. We had seen them on various vacations. Then we went to Tennessee two years in a row and visited Parrot Mountain. She held macaws and cockatoos both times. She really loved a M2 there named George. Sweetest bird ever.

The last day of school 3 years ago some friends asked us to go to lunch about 30 min away, to an area we had never ventured. On the way, we passed this enormous bird store and Ash asked if we could go on our way home. One of the families at lunch wanted to go as well so we made an afternoon of it. It turned out the store was Bird Paradise. We were all amazed at all the birds. In the big bird room, goffins were nibbling our toes as we walked around. But there were no M2s. Ashie was so disappointed, so I went up to a staff member and inquired. No baby M2s in the nursery either. So I spent the next hour questioning this poor woman about different parrots. We decided that since my son has asthma, powder birds were not a good idea. So she showed us all the teeny birds, which make me nervous. We crossed that off. Then, sitting on a nursery crate was an adorable red baby. I inquired about her, and was given her info. Miss Rosie. Ornery and opinionated right from the get go, although they insisted she was the sweetest bird they had.

We went home and I couldn't stop thinking about her and neither could Ashie. I didn't even like birds, but I couldn't get her out of my head. So I started researching, nonstop. Thought we could handle the care, Jef said NO. Ashie cried for 2 days, Jef said, OK. Called, put a deposit on her, went to visit and we have been together every day since. With the exception of vacations. :)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Mare
08-08-2015, 02:48 AM
Thanks for that, Kendra :). I suppose birds just..happen! What a wonderful thing when it works for both them and us.

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-08-2015, 11:30 AM
A lovely story. Do Rosie and Ashie get on?

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 01:45 PM
Rosie ADORES Ashie. Ashie gets nervous bc Rosie likes pinching. She is also wary bc she does not want holes in her clothing and gets frustrated with the screaming. I believe if Ash ever gets over her fears, Rosie will choose Ash as her person. But I guess only time will tell. :)

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2015, 12:37 AM
Wonderful story, Kendra :)

We went home and I couldn't stop thinking about her and neither could Ashie. I didn't even like birdsWhat? You didn't like birds?? How could anyone not like birds??? :(

Jef said NO. Ashie cried for 2 days, Jef said, OK.I love it ;)

Each macaw has a totally unique personality... just like each human. And that's even true among the same species. And BTW, I'm sure Salsa would give any B&G some serious competition on being clownish. He is so nutty that at times I can't take it :D. But in any case, each and every macaw is an astonishingly beautiful being... just like each member of the other parrot species. To me they're all spectacular! :pinkgrin:

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I can understand Ashie being trouble about her clothes, Casper is a little demon if Margaret is wearing anything with sequins or beads attached... or earings... or spectacles:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Tickle time 5 ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2015, 03:13 PM
Casper is a little demon if Margaret is wearing anything with sequins or beads attached... or earings... or spectacles:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])Score up those lenses, Casper! ;)

Cedardave
08-09-2015, 03:56 PM
They are all pretty much as individual as we are.I think when it comes to aggressive or passive...friendly and social or standoffish...it really doesnt seem to vary alot.It all really, in my opinion,comes down to training and time spent bonding with them.I do find the little Hahns to be very much the clowns however.Our girl Tia loves to nibble at our fingers(gently) and has a tendency to roll on her back to play alot like a dog wanting a tummy rub.