PDA

View Full Version : Casper's got a weekend pass

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-07-2015, 12:58 PM
:th_smile:

We went to see Casper this morning and the vet said that he is much better, very vocal but still not eating enough, perhaps he would eat more at home.
So home he came and he hasn't shut up yet.
We have meds to give him twice a day.
He is a bit confused about how to get around his cage (which we took the opportunity to give a thorough clean whilst he was away) with the perches moved but not that worried about it. I think they loved having him at the vets, he would say "Hello Casper" whenever anyone went near the cage. But they had ten birds as in-patients so were keeping Casper in the reptile room to prevent confusion with another BFA who is poorly. That one is now also saying hello and they are wondering if it learned from Casper.

Zoo mom
08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Glad he is more vocal. Hopefully he eats well.

spiritbird
08-07-2015, 05:28 PM
I must have missed a thread because I did not know he is ill. I am so sorry to hear this and hope for a full recovery.

Mr Peepers
08-07-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm glad Casper is home this weekend, hopefully he will eat more and feel better. I hope you are resting and feeling better as well. :)

Mare
08-07-2015, 09:25 PM
I hope Casper improves greatly by being home, hospital food just isn't the same as a home loved meal. How's he taking to the meds? Is he easy to administer to? With Amigo, when he went through having to get meds, it was rather tortuous, at first. It got better with time.

It's fun to watch them get use to a new configuration when their perches and such, get moved around..as long as they aren't spooked by it, that is. That's awesome that Casper is teaching another parrot some vocab! :)

Lady
08-07-2015, 09:35 PM
:th_yah: that Casper got a weekend pass. Hope he eats well for you so he can stay home and get better soon!

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 12:36 AM
Yayyyy! That's the best news I have gotten all day!

I am sure he will eat better with his family. It is not fun eating with strangers, especially reptiles! I can't imagine they are great conversationalists. 😉

Give him a big kiss from the crazy red diva and her Mommy please.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-08-2015, 11:03 AM
The home medication has not been going well!
Last night he spat out his pain killer medicine and pecked both of us for the impudence of trying to get him to take it. This morning Margaret tried putting his antibiotics in a spoonful of porridge as that worked well with his pain killers last time he was poorly. Nope, refused point blank. So he was driven all the way back to the vets so that they could show Margaret their technique of wrapping him in a towel and stuffing a syringe in his beak. Apparently the antibiotics tastes quite nasty and that is why it is hard to get them to swallow it. The vet knows this because he has tried it himself. :th_eek:
Casper is eating regularly and is happy and we are monitoring his weight.
Me? my back is still sore (had another session with the osteopath yesterday). I have stopped taking the tablets as they were binding me up and have now got the trots.
Margaret is coping well, bless her.

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Ugh, not fun. Poor Margaret has her hands full with you guys.

PeachyDoll
08-08-2015, 02:41 PM
I didn't know Caspar was sick. :( I must've missed a thread too. I bet they loved having him at the vet. Having to towel a bird is not fun but sometimes necessary.

How long does he have to be on the meds?

PlaxMacaws
08-09-2015, 12:59 AM
Glad to hear Casper is at home! It's somewhat easy to understand why he may not develop much of an appetite for a while after being forced to ingest all of that yucky goop medicine :th_eek:

wingman
08-09-2015, 01:59 AM
Glad your better Casper!!!!!

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-09-2015, 11:08 AM
I presume that antibiotics have to be a full course to be effective. We only have enough to get us through the weekend so will find out on Monday. He is sneezing a lot today which is nasty if he is looking you in the face when he does it. I tried giving him a tissue to use but it just got shredded. Perhaps some of his meds went up his nose? He is (apart from the sneezes) his normal attention demanding self. We are going to go sit in the garden.

Lady
09-07-2015, 01:55 AM
Casper's 2nd best friend
How is Casper these day?

Casper's 2nd best friend
09-07-2015, 11:44 AM
Hi Alice
thanks for asking, I have been a bit busy since we got back from hols. Casper is very well and shouting it to the whole world - I am surprised you haven't heard him. He had a great time staying with our friends while we went off sailing. Their house is much bigger than ours so he has been practicing his flying and is quite fit. The weather here is starting to turn autumnal, fine dry days but about ten degrees cooler. August was the wettest month of the year thus far which is pretty true to form but we usually get more sunshine. We did have a couple of really pleasant days sailing and when a gale came through (we get the remnants of hurricanes that work their way up the American coast and then across the Atlantic) we sailed up the River Orwell which is really beautiful to Ipswich dock where we stayed a couple of nights. From there we were able to take a train to see my Mum as it was just a couple of stops and a short walk.
Here are a couple of piccies:
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Pyefleet Creek ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
Birdy siesta time ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]) by Jean-Pierre Declemy ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]), on Flickr

kendrafitz
09-08-2015, 12:02 AM
Beautiful pics!

Glad Casper is shouting his happiness! Also glad to see you back. I've missed your stories about Casper and Margaret!!!

Mare
09-08-2015, 12:21 AM
Beautiful photos! Sounds like a lovely vacation :). Happy to hear Casper is doing well!