PDA

View Full Version : Aggression issue?

Mare
05-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Not sure where to put this, cockatoo or free flight, there are no territorial sections so, here we go. Amigo comes to his outdoor slider door to be let in. One of our doxies, also wants in and Amigo starts attacking this dog as soon as it enters his realm. Hell-a-yeah, yeah, all freaking hell breaks loose!!
Territorial, yes?

roxynoodle
05-07-2013, 12:44 AM
Probably. Actually a lot of parrots do it to the dogs and cats in the household. Even sweet little Merlin will stalk dogs and won't think anything of grabbing a doggie lip and piercing down!

jtbirds
05-07-2013, 12:55 AM
I had a foster umbrella for a couple weeks and he would attack the dog fiercely I mean to draw blood, the solution was easy dont allow him around the dog or on the floor and if he went after the dog he got a time out on a play stand and no attention for a 10-15 minute period of time. This worked wonders and Ryan now lives in a home happily with I believe two dogs and doesn't have an issue with them anymore. It worked for me pretty quickly as he was with me for 6 weeks and I had his issues solved In that time and he was ready to go back to the rescue and be rehomed. Another happy ending!

keepsmiling
05-07-2013, 01:11 AM
My little aracari Pico went after my 85 lb akita/lab mix Heartly!:th_omg:

jtbirds
05-07-2013, 01:16 AM
Carole I work at a vet clinic and this week we had a lady holding her little chihuahua and it went after a 170pound cane corso, which are dogs know for some dog aggression, luckily this guy was very nice and took the little pip squeaks harassment... Yea the chihuahua had to be asked to leave, but truly it was not laughing matter but it's kind of funny to look back on now as how that day went!

keepsmiling
05-07-2013, 01:17 AM
Oh my. Audrey[roxynoodle] just got a Cane Corso recently, and she has been trying to eat people.:th_embarassed:

jtbirds
05-07-2013, 01:20 AM
They are great dogs and I personally love the breed, but they need a lot of training and obedience worked into them at least that's what I think;). I was just talking to a guy yesterday about getting a pit bull so I may end up with a pit on top of the chocolate lab we have, sounds fun huh...

keepsmiling
05-07-2013, 01:32 AM
Some poor woman here just got mauled yesterday I think by a pack of pits. Out walking her dog with her kid. Luckily the kid wasn't injured. The poor woman was ripped up pretty bad though.

keepsmiling
05-07-2013, 01:37 AM
I found it, I guess she did not have a dog with her, but it was five pit bulls in Daytona Beach.

jtbirds
05-07-2013, 02:50 AM
o wow that is horrible, its all about how you raise them they are truly a good obident breed and can be amazig dogs, but like anything else need to be socialized and worked with. If we didnt let certain people have dogs then we wouldnt have this issue, but there are no regulations on who can get a dog.. sadly

plax
05-07-2013, 06:18 AM
I just have to say this:

Companion birds should really not have access to dogs that are large enough to overpower them. No matter how well-behaved or well-trained a dog is, or how sweet natured a dog may be around a pet bird, even in cases where the dog cowers and runs from the bird, all it would take is a moment of panic from fright during a close contact session between the two for the dog to snap at the bird. And the reality is that such a snap can result in serious injury or even death to a pet bird. Moreover, the risk prevails even when contact sessions between the two animals are supervised, since a dog can snap at (and grab) a bird far more quickly than a nearby human would be able to intervene. The only way to assuredly prevent such a tragedy is to preclude all physical contact between larger dogs and pet birds. It's just not worth the risk :(

keepsmiling
05-07-2013, 09:41 AM
You are correct Tony! I think all dogs, and cats too.

Birdboy
05-07-2013, 10:17 AM
my little keiko walkts up to the glass door where the 75kg english mastif is and growls and him, he goes running around the corner. She shows him whos boss :th_LOL:

Mare
05-07-2013, 06:24 PM
They do show who is boss! Amigo is scared of any dog, normally, but his room is different, this is his space. The Sassy Goffin's will take on any dog, cat, person, any time any where, when she feels like it,,no fear, EVER!

roxynoodle
05-07-2013, 06:35 PM
Just to be fair to my poor Cane Corso she really only tries to eat people who resemble my ex husband :th_embarassed:

greycloud
05-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Amigo is protecting his territory from a predator. He sees the dog as that predator. You will have to stay on top of them at all times and make sure they keep a distance. Remember, that the dog also sees the home as his territory.

Bokkapooh
05-29-2013, 02:01 PM
I found it, I guess she did not have a dog with her, but it was five pit bulls in Daytona Beach.

That sounds incredibly sad. And very bad for the breeds publicity. Will they now outlaw pits?

And where in the hell did that many dogs come from?:(

roxynoodle
05-29-2013, 02:52 PM
That sounds incredibly sad. And very bad for the breeds publicity. Will they now outlaw pits?

And where in the hell did that many dogs come from?:(

You know, every time I look at what dogs are in the county shelters around here, they are almost all pits. I don't know why so many stray ones are running around in my area, but it does allow them to form into packs and become more dangerous :( I also recently went through the reported dog bite study that spanned 1982-2012 and pits and pit mixes were responsible for 59% of fatal attacks. After reading this I can't really blame any areas that outlaw them anymore.

keepsmiling
05-29-2013, 03:05 PM
People insist on breeding them here like flies. My neighbor to the east just went through a batch of six pups, and now has nine more. There are twelve pit bulls living inside the house next door!:th_eek: They rent...

Debra
05-29-2013, 03:05 PM
My father-in-law was killed by 2 pit bulls last year. Needless to say, I don't like the breed.

roxynoodle
05-29-2013, 03:54 PM
I did have a pitbull mix when I was married and she at least listened well and there were no problems. But, now that I've read that study and one other, I've changed my mind about them. Now their proponents say many of the dogs were misidentified as pits, and I agree, that is probably true for some. But, if even half of them were misidentified, they have still been responsible for more fatal attacks than any other breed :(

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 08:00 PM
Pit bulls are given such a bad rap, similar to cockatoos in the bird world. May I suggest everyone take a look at who raised the problem pits and cockatoos, people very undereducated that thought they were cute and nothing more,. They taught them nothing other then bad because they got them for no other reason then a bad one.

It is how the animals is raised and trained not the breed or species of animal, it is our fault we have taught them to be like this. Now with this being said the are cases when things are wrong neurologically and this applies for humans as well, so we cannot control this but only hope through good breeding practices it would not happen as often, but many times it can still occur.

People don't like hearing this, but it is always the owners fault if something goes wrong with the animal behaviorally(other then the predisposed neurological issues), it is not the animals breed or species that depicts them as an individual but there past, training, devotion, and much more.

plax
05-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Justin: I disagree with you in the following regard. Statistically there have been too many attacks by members of the pit breed for such aggressive behavior to be exclusively attributable to conditioning by dog owners. Granted, a dog owner's attitude plays a significant role in the animal's disposition. But there are genetic predispositions involved as well. Certain dog breeds are more prone toward attack aggression than others. So in my view it's a combination of predisposed behaviors as well as upbringing. You can't reasonably exclude either one.

It does, however, bother me that certain folks seem to view their own pets as dangerous weapons and take pride in it. Promoting such aggression in a pet is never a good or safe thing! I think it's an ego/power thing with some people :(

roxynoodle
05-29-2013, 09:53 PM
I did agree with you, Justin, until I read those reports (the 82-12 one and the 06-12 one). In the first they were responsible for 59% of fatal attacks and in the second, 57%. I have to think there really is an ingrained fight/kill instinct in that breed. Rotts were next at 20%, GSDs were third at around 6% and then all other breeds made up the next 14%. That is such a significant difference I have to think very few are qualified to own and manage that breed :(

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 10:38 PM
Well I also believe we as humans can attribute for those statistics as how we have breed them, if only the statistics could show who had good breed dogs and who had the backyard breeder dogs in those attacks. There are faults in the statistics and that is why I still kinda disagree with them. So tony with that sad sadly we still may be at fault and I do agree with you there can be a huge impact on the genetic makeup not just upbringing, but think if upbringing was done right from the start and the dogs weren't made aggresive, and then the dumb person with the aggresive dog breeds it making the babies have a predisposition for aggresive since it is now in the genes and blood lines, the breeds may not have such a bad rap. So then it still comes down to upbringing and ultimately humans.

So yes the are more aggresive breeds, I seen this through my recent internship we had to muzzle most rottweilers, cane corsos, and pit bulls that walked through the doors as we had to protect ourselves. But can we attribute the aggression to the breed or how we have now messed up the predisposition of the breed? As well many of the dogs mentioned still have a strong instinct to do what they were bred for and we do not allow that which can be frustrating as well.

Audrey I do agree with you, in this society of dog breeds many are not suitable to own many of the breeds available on market and there lies the problem...

Tony you are very correct I was at a outreach last month and this man had two Rottweilers on huge chain leashes I mean this chain had to weigh twenty pounds or more, he was parading this around like it was amazing, but the only reason he did this was to give himself this ego and power feeling about his big strong dogs, and this is exactly how these animals become aggresive people like him. It is very much an ego and power thing.

plax
05-29-2013, 10:58 PM
Justin: you're more or less trying to apply a blanket explanation for aggression in pit bulls. A dog cannot as easily be "made" aggressive if there's no genetic predisposition for aggression in its bloodlines. The point is that based upon statistics, pit bulls are more likely to become aggressive toward humans than many other breeds. There are plenty of idiots who own and produce other dog breeds as well. But the fact remains that far more pit bulls are involved in brutal attacks than members of those other breeds. I think that speaks volumes!

I'm going to move this thread to Off Topic.

jtbirds
05-29-2013, 11:46 PM
No I agree tony, but my thing is pit bulls didn't have to be this way. I feel very sorry they are and I know o to well they are, I've come very close to being bitten by multiple of them out of no we're so I do know how they are. I am just stating that I don't believe the breed needed to be this way that it wasn't that way in the beginning. I know the statistics and they do speak I am trying to point out that this wasn't how it should have been and I hate the fact that breeds and species of animals are given a bad name because of the fact it shouldn't have been this way, do you understand where I am coming from or am I not explaining my point correctly?

I completely agree that pit bulls are now a considered aggresive breed and some very well are I've expirenced them face to face, restrained them to have a simple little vaccine done and seen how easily they can turn.

plax
05-30-2013, 12:05 AM
No I agree tony, but my thing is pit bulls didn't have to be this way. I feel very sorry they are and I know o to well they are, I've come very close to being bitten by multiple of them out of no we're so I do know how they are. I am just stating that I don't believe the breed needed to be this way that it wasn't that way in the beginning. I know the statistics and they do speak I am trying to point out that this wasn't how it should have been and I hate the fact that breeds and species of animals are given a bad name because of the fact it shouldn't have been this way, do you understand where I am coming from or am I not explaining my point correctly?

I completely agree that pit bulls are now a considered aggresive breed and some very well are I've expirenced them face to face, restrained them to have a simple little vaccine done and seen how easily they can turn.Your saying that human factors are either directly or indirectly responsible for the aggression proclivities in pit bulls. While I can't disagree with that, at this point it makes little difference. Pits simply pose the risk that they pose. Consider the fact that if not for humans, none of the domestic dog breeds would likely exist. However, all of them do exist and pit bulls pose a greater risk than most.

jtbirds
05-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Yes that is exactly what I mean and I do agree with everything you stated, I'm just saying that ultimately it is our fault how things go. I understand the great risk I just more people understood it wasn't the dogs fault, that's what I mean.

Bokkapooh
06-01-2013, 11:28 PM
No such thing as a bad cockatoo:)

Bokkapooh
06-01-2013, 11:34 PM
Pit bulls are given such a bad rap, similar to cockatoos in the bird world. May I suggest everyone take a look at who raised the problem pits and cockatoos, people very undereducated that thought they were cute and nothing more,. They taught them nothing other then bad because they got them for no other reason then a bad one.

It is how the animals is raised and trained not the breed or species of animal, it is our fault we have taught them to be like this. Now with this being said the are cases when things are wrong neurologically and this applies for humans as well, so we cannot control this but only hope through good breeding practices it would not happen as often, but many times it can still occur.

People don't like hearing this, but it is always the owners fault if something goes wrong with the animal behaviorally(other then the predisposed neurological issues), it is not the animals breed or species that depicts them as an individual but there past, training, devotion, and much more.

I 100% agree that its the peoples fault.

Most pits are weaned way too early, not dog/animal socialized and aren't trained.

:(

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:15 AM
No such thing as a bad cockatoo:)

I completely agree with you:), I've met sme challenging ones but not a bad one!

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:17 AM
I do think cockatoos do get a bad rap. I've never owned one but from what I've read from a few members on the forum, they seem like wonderful birds!

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:29 AM
They are wonderful birds, it just takes the right person. Very few people that consider themselves macaw people can handle cockatoos. And the same goes for cockatoo people and macaws. I'll admit at first I was better with macaws but then I taught myself cockatoos once I felt comfortable and now I am pretty balanced in both larger species! It just takes time and understand for both:).

Typing this as the m2 is exploding my ear drums and thinking how quiet all the macaws are lol!

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:32 AM
LOL! I've always read they love to yell! I've always had interest in Greys and Macaws, but not really Amazons or Cockatoos. I did a lot of research about all 4 species. I'm sure Amazons and Toos are great for the right person. Just as Greys and Macaws are, too!

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 01:41 AM
Ehh cockatoo screaming is manageable I developed a method of stopping it, I should publish it but I haven't had the time to word it the way I'd like it to be:), birds can be loud haha. All species are great, they each have here pros and cons.

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 01:51 AM
Exactly, there are pros and cons in everything. I know Savannah is VERY loud. So there ya go!

Pinkbirdy
06-02-2013, 03:35 AM
LOL! I've always read they love to yell! I've always had interest in Greys and Macaws, but not really Amazons or Cockatoos. I did a lot of research about all 4 species. I'm sure Amazons and Toos are great for the right person. Just as Greys and Macaws are, too! Blanca ,the other species [like 2s and zons] are absolutely amazing .I cant say enough good things about them :) I hate what you read about them [to scare you or turn you off] I admit the internet made me have no interest in zons .Boy would I have missed out !! I think if I had gotten my Bluefront since a baby.I might have had just him .Hes the whole parrot experience:) Monday im getting that crazy goffin and I have my baby Rb2 coming in june.Its super crazy [but I love it ]and feel lucky .That means I will have 3 toos a LS2,RB2 and goffin :) I think cause you have the experience of [can be] harder birds .A Grey and Macaw . You should think skys the limit and not be afraid to experience all these other wonderful species :)

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Thanks Terri! Maybe it's something to consider if my husband let's me get anymore birds. :p Lol! Seriously, thanks for the encouragement. You never know what the future will bring! :D

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jtbirds
06-02-2013, 12:45 PM
I say get a black palm cockatoo and then give him to me! Ha just kidding, but if you ever do decide on wanting a cockatoo I could find you an amazing one;).

Blancaej
06-02-2013, 12:53 PM
Good to know I have connections! ;)

Bokkapooh
06-06-2013, 12:44 AM
Ehh cockatoo screaming is manageable I developed a method of stopping it, I should publish it but I haven't had the time to word it the way I'd like it to be:), birds can be loud haha. All species are great, they each have here pros and cons.
But who would want to stop it? I encourage my guys to scream at certain times of the day so then it's blissfully quiet 95% of the time:)

Blancaej
06-06-2013, 12:54 AM
I'm sure Justin allows some screaming. His bird screamed 8 hours a day. You have to admit 8 hours is a bit much!:eek:

jtbirds
06-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Bokka I made it for screamers that are pushing the limits of it becoming a neurological issue and a very un happy bird, working in rescue I have seem a few birds now go into this state of just constant screaming and it is for nothing but it is now an issue in there head of they must and they become un happy because all they do is scream and it makes up for there life and day. That being said yes my m2 scammed 8 hours a day and my medium sulphur came doing about 4 plus or minus a day. I took them in knowing it and jack was the first so I knew I needed to fix it so I developed my method and then with the sulphur I just wanted her to tone it Down slightly so I used it to curve the screaming into a reasonable amount. I am all for them being loud I go out and get my birds all wound up and loud and have fun, but they need to know how to stop to. And all of my birds do now. Cockatoos need not to scream more then 15-30minutes morning and night with small durations of contact calls throughout the day, that is acceptable and what is natural as well. Over this is just being louder and once you hit way over it when you are talking hours on end it is a true issue and must be fixed for the happiness of the bird. My m2 and medium sulphur are such happier birds since most of there day is not screaming for nothing but to content themselves they found ways to make themselves happy and content instead of screaming, infact the m2 used to barber and has now stopped:).

And for those of you who may wonder how I dealt with all the screaming, it was challenging at times and there were times I had to leave my house to get away from it as I just couldn't stand it anymore At that point and time. Now it is as simple as I walk out and ask the two of them what they are doing and they stop screaming and stay stopped:)

Bokkapooh
06-11-2013, 12:18 AM
Personally, a bird screams for a reason. I don't think its neurological problem. Its a behavioral and one needs to understand the bird to fix the issue. Gotta really look into why they scream.

My moms M2 is a constant screamer. My mom accidently encourages needy screaming behavior. So now Beeba is a constant screamer.

Oh well. She didn't listen to me :)

jtbirds
06-11-2013, 01:18 AM
Booka if you expirenced the amount of cockatoos and birds in general I have you would see the difference quickly. Some birds scream for something at first and then it becomes an embedded issue screaming only to make themselves feel good which then results in a very sad and neurological bird because it is screaming for nothing, and you can't achieve nothing. I've seen it happen t a few birds and it is harder to fix then every.

Although you are correct most scream for a reason and fixing the reasons is usually the fix to the screaming!:)

JLcribber
06-11-2013, 04:20 AM
I'd be interested in hearing the method you developed to stop screaming jt. I've developed the same thing for my birds. A bit unconventional but I'm sure your method is the same.

It's probably not something I would recommend to others because this was my situation and it developed the way it did because it "was" my situation involving my birds personalities as well as my own.

Tika came to us as a world class screamer too. He could keep it up for many hours a day non stop. He came with a lot of baggage so it was to be expected in the beginning and getting over the initial screaming behaviour was done more traditionally. Once he was comfortable, secure and truly at home with us he would occasionally do it for no reason other than he could and would.

You first. :)

jtbirds
06-11-2013, 11:21 AM
Jl I would love to hear your method and compare it to my own!:) you can private message it to me and we can share our thoughts if you'd like.

Although I have used mine on others birds that have adopted from us so they can happily live with the bird they love without hours upon hours of screaming. My method generally works on any situation because it is not based on any specific situation but a broader spectrum of situations. I have yet to meet a screamer that does not respond to my method, it took my m2 6 months and that was the longest but I was also working out the kinks and developing it as I went;).