PDA

View Full Version : Making Bird Toys

spiritbird
08-03-2015, 12:05 PM
I used to make bird toys for my African Grey bird. The reason I stopped was that her beak was so strong most of them fell apart in one or two days. My hands are not that strong either. With this being said I would like to try my hand at it for Linnies who have much stronger beaks. Can anyone recommend a site that offers al the parts one would need for toys?

Maddy
08-03-2015, 06:03 PM
I have gotten toy parts from [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] they have a nice selection. I have also heard people talk about how great [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] and [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] are for toy parts, but I have never shopped there myself.

Mr Peepers
08-03-2015, 07:53 PM
Good luck with making toys, I will want to see tons of photos of what you make and what makes your birds happiest with your creations.

Lady
08-04-2015, 01:18 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

These are some I have bookmarked.

spiritbird
08-04-2015, 04:22 AM
Starting to make bird toys may cost more then just buying one. E Bay has several vendors selling toy parts with free shipping. Not sure I will do this or not. There is not much left to recycle after my Linnies get a hold of a toy. Someone said their Palm Cockatoo destroys a $50. toy in a few minutes.

Mr Peepers
08-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Why don't you call around and see if there are any orchards near you, places that have apple trees. The owners usually do a pruning a couple of times each season and you will be able to get branches from them for free.

You will be able to find organic non pesticide branches. When you bring the branches home put the branches in the bath/shower and pour boiling water on them or just shower them in super hot water for a few minutes brushing the branches with a scrubber. Then use a sponge soaked of vinegar and cover the branches with vinegar then let them dry.

You can place them branches on a tray in front of a sunny window to dry or put the branches in the oven on 200 and bake them for 20 mins to assure they are sterilized and ready to give to your birds.

Or you can buy expensive apple tree branches at a pet shop. You can usually find them for hamsters or gerbils.

Mr Peepers
08-04-2015, 04:02 PM
You can cut the base of the larger part of the branch into chunk slugs and drill a hole in them, buy some inexpensive sisal rope and put it through the drilled pieces of wood and make dangling type toys they can chew on.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]$_35.JPG

I like to take a larger dowel I buy at a hardware store or a large thick apple tree branch and drill holes into it, the holes should be the same size as the branches which should be about 5 or 6 inches long. I then put the 5 - 6 inche apple branches in the drilled holes of the dowel/branch in a spiral pattern up and around the dowel making a spiral ladder perch.

The perch ladder is easy to hang or even clamp on to the side of a cage with a simple clamp. No glue needed and the birds love to play on the ladder and chew the branches up and below them.

Imagine this in simple apple tree branches.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]$_1.JPG

Mr Peepers
08-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I have made toys from clean new popsicle sticks or tongue depressors I buy at the pharmacy. You can soak the wooden sticks in jello or grape/orange/apple juice then let them dry. Make toys by interlocking the sticks with sisal rope or weave them together, the birds love to chew on the flavored sticks.

There are tons of HOW TO videos and instructions on sites online how to make flavored toys from popsicle or tongue depressor sticks.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mr Peepers
08-04-2015, 04:12 PM
If you can find someone who has a weeping willow tree, ask them for some branches. As long as the branches have never been sprayed with pesticides you can offer these to your birds.

Wash them in the bath/shower do the vinegar routine and let the branches dry. Your birds will like the branches dried or even fresh and green.

---------------

Also, linnies budgies tiels and lovies all love eucalyptus branches. If you can find eucalyptus branches that are organic try and get a few and let your birds enjoy them to chew on. Any place online sells eucalyptus branches for sugar gliders so you shouldn't have a hard time finding them.

Lady
08-05-2015, 05:53 PM
@Mr Peepers,

How cool, they even state that they will give free seed pods (with your order) to try and grow Eucalyptus yourself :)

Mr Peepers
08-05-2015, 06:45 PM
@Mr Peepers,

How cool, they even state that they will give free seed pods (with your order) to try and grow Eucalyptus yourself :)

I know! I like that as well.

Some people live where the climate is perfect to start these plants outside and then move them in for the winter and they do well. I have a friend who grows plants for her budgies and she lives in London England, the weather there is pretty much like Toronto Canada's weather but she manages to get the plants growing well to give her a good crop to treat her birds.

spiritbird
08-05-2015, 09:15 PM
I placed an order for the Euc leaves and sticks one time when I had the two budgies. They loved the sticks buy the leaves did not interest them at all. I may order some for the Linnies. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I took an old leather toy and added to it with what I had around the house. They have been playing with it some.

colbon2
08-06-2015, 01:10 AM
I make my own toys but I have a store here in calgary there is also one in ontario as well it's called parrotdise perch they sell toy parts... :D I haven't taken any photos of my toys though :D

Mr Peepers
08-06-2015, 05:40 PM
I make my own toys but I have a store here in calgary there is also one in ontario as well it's called parrotdise perch they sell toy parts... :D I haven't taken any photos of my toys though :D

Take some pics next time you make a bunch of toys for your fidlettes, I'm sure others here would love to see then I know I will enjoy seeing them too. :)

colbon2
08-06-2015, 10:59 PM
I have some on a toy box I could pull out and take pictures of I feel like they look cheap though lol but my birdies love them. I do a lot with straws as I can't find straw toys anymore I can find everything but so I make a lot of straw toys. I am off tonight at 8pm so I will try to get that done tonight if I remember.

Lady
08-07-2015, 12:26 AM
That would be great to see your toys, and don't worry how they look to us. It's like you said as long as your birds love them.

colbon2
08-07-2015, 06:13 PM
okay here we go are you ready... :D i am an amateur so please be nice :D

Mr Peepers
08-07-2015, 06:17 PM
okay here we go are you ready... :D i am an amateur so please be nice :D

I see Tico peaking at you and the camera, he approves of these cool toys!

colbon2
08-07-2015, 06:26 PM
okay so here is more

colbon2
08-07-2015, 06:28 PM
the colourfull ball on the green toy has almonds in it so it is also a foraging toy :D

Mr Peepers
08-07-2015, 06:30 PM
Very nice ! They are colorful and look really intriguing and interesting. I like the foraging ball.

PeachyDoll
08-07-2015, 06:32 PM
Great job, they are fabulous!!

Lady
08-07-2015, 09:56 PM
I really like them too~ You did a wonderful job and I'm sure they are going to have a good time with each and everyone!

spiritbird
08-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Love all the toys you make. Especially ones with long tails. What material are they made from?

kendrafitz
08-07-2015, 11:59 PM
Nice toys!!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

colbon2
08-08-2015, 03:15 AM
what materials are they all made from or a specific toy?

Lady
04-22-2017, 04:38 PM
Well this isn't a toy I made but Lady decided that the paper egg carton that I placed on her playpen was safe. She really had a good time tearing it up. In the evening when I want her to stay occupied while I'm in the kitchen making dinner for the humans I sometimes drape a towel over the top perch and ladders of the play top to make a "tent" and she likes to get under it and play with her foot toys. This is where the egg carton is and she spent more than an hour between it and a few of her other toys. I was very happy to sit down with my hubby and enjoy a meal without hurrying so I could share some with her. She will often raise her voice when she knows dinner should be on the way as if to say.....I'm waiting for some.
I'll see if I can get a pic of her tonight or sometime this weekend while there is still some of it left.

LesliesBabies
08-04-2018, 01:42 AM
If your bird loves and lives to chew knots and rope, I use a metal ring on the bottom of a metal chain full of hardwood pieces separated by drilled through "doll heads" or big wooden beads. The other thing is buying cotton rope dog balls. The Shreveport Walmart sells them regularly for less than $1 each. I also hit the baby section of the Dollar Tree for hard plastic rings and baby puzzles. The ladies at our animal protection thrift store are always looking for bird toy parts for me.

- - - Updated - - -

If your bird loves and lives to chew knots and rope, I use a metal ring on the bottom of a metal chain full of hardwood pieces separated by drilled through "doll heads" or big wooden beads. The other thing is buying cotton rope dog balls. The Shreveport Walmart sells them regularly for less than $1 each. I also hit the baby section of the Dollar Tree for hard plastic rings and baby puzzles. The ladies at our animal protection thrift store are always looking for bird toy parts for me.

Dragonlady2
08-04-2018, 12:58 PM
I hit the dollar store for items. My Australian king loves throwing measuring cups and spoons around.

Quakerella
08-08-2018, 11:37 PM
Just for your own information. I use lead testing strips to test bird toy parts, and some pet toys and baby toys from the dollar store test positive. Even though it may be a minute amount and unable to harm a baby, there may still be enough to harm a bird.

LesliesBabies
08-15-2018, 06:16 PM
The local sawmill gives me tons of wood. I've gotten everything from softwood to hardwood that's untreated. I also approached furniture makers, but most of their wood is treated. I got lucky and found a maker of heirloom- style furniture from heat- treated wood only.
Despite the size of your town/city, there's always someone trying to get rid of wood and branches or knows who to talk to!
Keep in mind that most any medium to large birds can destroy softwood the first day. Hardwood poses a problem.
Check out the sales at Drs. Foster and Smith. Also, this time of year is great for sales! Before you make things, check out the web unless you're a total DIYer.

Dragonlady2
08-15-2018, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the suggestions:th_smile:

LesliesBabies
08-16-2018, 03:17 PM
Just for your own information. I use lead testing strips to test bird toy parts, and some pet toys and baby toys from the dollar store test positive. Even though it may be a minute amount and unable to harm a baby, there may still be enough to harm a bird.

That right there is why I only go to the baby stuff and don't but liquid filled baby stuff.

I also scavenge parts from broken toys! That way I know they're bird safe, but you have to buy some toys to scavenge off of first. Luckily, I've had a LONG time to do It! There are tons of liberty- and cowbells in the toy part drawer!

Just this morning, I saw them selling a foot toy filled coconut and thought that there's a coconut at the end of my WCP's ladder that she hates and I've got lots of little stuff, so down it came. Now my WCP has a ladder she likes and my conures have a new, hanging "forage basket."

A chewed up toy had a spring in it. I put a bell on one end and a hanger on the other. Now my budgies have a bouncy bell they love!

When someone drives to McDonald's, they get a mission from me. Bring brown napkins, straws and those little ketchup cups. If they can, bring a drink holder, too. Those little cups make great tiny, replaceable forage baskets!

When my mother was sick, I bought a bags of those bendy neon straws. The left over bags of straws became neon bird toys!

LesliesBabies
08-16-2018, 03:39 PM
I made a busyboard out of leftover toy parts hooked on with bird safe cotton twine on leftover blue jean pant legs for smaller birds and on drilled gym based for larger birds. My fids have hours of fun further destroying fallen toys, untying rope knots, chewing on chains, ringing bells, etc.

Lady
08-28-2018, 05:53 PM
How nice you can make things for your birds. I like to as well but only find the time in the winter. I usually order parts from the net and let Lady pick what she likes, then I try and put it together and see if it keeps her amused.

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-29-2018, 08:53 AM
Casper loves the square softwood slats because they are easy for him to turn into matchwood. We love them because it distracts him from chewing stuff he shouldn't.
They are quite expensive in the blister packs online, I am thinking about trying to get them wholesale because he can get through a pack in a week! :)
Plastic bottles are fun [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]!AiShclt2ghrmhHfZVjjsMxYMNPLj :)

JLengel1843
10-03-2018, 01:59 PM
There are many inexpensive options for making toys from common household items and a bag of treats! Here's a link to some videos showing a few of them. Hope this helps.