PDA

View Full Version : Dropped one day old!

Babytiel
06-28-2015, 05:16 AM
Ok so my cockatiels had babies and I opened the little peeking hole to see if they'd hatched and a baby fell out!!!!!!!!! It fell from about 1.5 - 2 meters onto a concrete floor and hatched either the night before or that morning.

I immediately picked it up and put it back in the nest. I didn't see it for long but it was alive an moving and didn't appear to be hurt.

Has this happened to anyone before and if it has what happened.

Because I'm worried it might have broken bones, die or have brain/internal damage.

plax
06-29-2015, 04:58 AM
Hello...

Aside from having the baby assessed by an avian veterinarian, the only way to learn whether it will develop without complication is to wait and watch its progress. I'm unsure whether any of our members have experienced anything similar. Be mindful though that each falling bird case is unique - some babies may sustain serious injury from a fall impact, whereas others may not.

Please keep us posted on how things go for the little one. Hopefully it will be fine.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-29-2015, 08:22 AM
No idea how parrots cope but Barnacle Geese babies seem quite resilient. I hope your little'un bounces back.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

spiritbird
06-29-2015, 12:30 PM
I hope the little one is OK. Perhaps you can put a scatter rug where the cage is just in case this happens again. Only way to tell if there is an injury is for a vet to do ex rays. Or as suggested just watch and wait. Good luck with all of them.