PDA

View Full Version : Cockatoo Activities

PeachyDoll
06-26-2015, 03:02 PM
Before and after we adopted Rosie we researched daily about what would keep her happy and healthy. We found in our reading they do get accustomed to certain activities throughout the day but that we should also mix it up so she doesn't come to expect the same thing everyday. Really she is happy as long as someone is with her 95% of the time. Luckily we can provide this for her.

I know that when she starts getting cranky (which is rare) she wants to do something else or be somewhere else.

One night we will walk around the yard and let her play in the trees.

Another night she'll be on her hemp rope watching the woodpeckers, hummingbirds and cactus wrens.

Other evenings it's a walk on the table or swinging on her swing.

A little variety goes a long way and keeps things exciting for them.

She loves walking on this table squawking like a crow or dragging her beak along the surface.

Mr Peepers
06-26-2015, 06:18 PM
Lucky Rosie Bird gets to have you at her beck and call all the time to keep her busy and entertained. It looks like she can see some spectacular views where you are she's a lucky TOO! :th_smile:

Mare
06-26-2015, 07:51 PM
That's a beautiful photo of Rosie! The sun hits her at angles to show off her feather textures. It sounds like Rosie is one lucky bird to have someone that cares about what she would like to do :). They do like to be entertained, that's for sure!

Zoo mom
06-26-2015, 09:18 PM
Beautiful Rosie is a lucky birdie.

kendrafitz
06-26-2015, 10:35 PM
What a great selection of activities Rosie has. And what a beautiful view.

It is so nice to see pics of everyone's parrots outside. My Rosie is strictly indoor bc we have some super aggressive hawks that are always around. My vet has told me that I should just keep her in. :( I opened her window next to her tree today (it has been closed recently due to her screaming and annoying everyone within a mile radius). She has been loving it, happy as can be and so blissfully quiet.

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-26-2015, 11:49 PM
I've noticed pics of Toos doing that dragging their beak along the surface before. Why do they do that?
Tis a wonderful thing that you give her so much freedom and entertainment.
Kendra, I know you would never take the risk but I would have thought that in a straight up beak to beak fight Rosie would knock the stuffing out of a hawk. The trouble is hawks fight dirty and swoop down at 60mph with the sun behind them. Keep her safe for us.

spiritbird
06-27-2015, 12:04 AM
Rosie is one lucky bird.

plax
06-27-2015, 05:51 AM
Great photo! She's a very pretty bird :)

Mare
06-27-2015, 06:00 AM
Jean-Pierre asks..

"I've noticed pics of Toos doing that dragging their beak along the surface before. Why do they do that?"

I think mine do it because it feels good :)

PeachyDoll
06-27-2015, 02:17 PM
I think they drag their beaks because it feels good too. We had another table that was textured and Rosie really loved that. She also loves when my hubby brushes his teeth with the electric toothbrush. She wants him to put the vibrating base against her beak and she squeals or whistles with delight. We realized though that it was inappropraitely stimulating her and she starts to quiver so we don't do that anymore. There is a lot of nerve ending in those beaks :)

Kendra we do have hawks here too, the red tails. But where Rosie is standing she is under a solid roof and the sun is coming in from the west. For the same reason we don't allow her out undercovered or in the open. It doesn't matter the size of your bird, a hungry hawk will attack a larger bird than themselves. It is that drop and the velocity that stuns their prey. There is a video of a hawk at a zoo going after a male Moluccan (much larger than our female) and it happens so quick the trainer barely has time to react (seconds) but she does and saves the Moluccan's life. I would post it here but I don't know if it violates policy. The video of this attack has been seared into my mind. Even though we have a roof over Rosie when she is outside, she is also never left alone, myself or hubby are always within arms reach. And I am always watching like a hawk for hawks.

Mare
06-27-2015, 02:39 PM
I know what you mean about the textured surfaces, PeachyDoll. I have a fleece blanket, that's their favorite :)

Sometimes I feel like I should be feeling guilty for allowing Amigo his freedom, don't worry, I don't. There are many stories of hawks flying down and snatching a bird off of a shoulder or arm..stories of small dogs being snatched from a yard. As keepers of our pets I think it's so important to be the eyes and ears for our unknowledgeable babies and protect them.

Amigo has knowledge, sadly first hand, of hawks. Thankfully, he survived but it made him into what he is..a bird that is in tune with his outdoor surroundings. He watches the hawks, like a hawk! Ravens, that live in the territory, are a great help, too :)

plax
06-27-2015, 04:08 PM
There is a video of a hawk at a zoo going after a male Moluccan (much larger than our female) and it happens so quick the trainer barely has time to react (seconds) but she does and saves the Moluccan's life. I would post it here but I don't know if it violates policy.RB: The video clip shouldn't violate our policy since it's presumably intended to express the realistic dangers posed by raptors upon companion birds. You may post said clip here if you like. Among other things, this community is here to inform of risks and promulgate safety measures for our pet birds. Posting a video clip such as the one you've described is far different from posting a "cute" clip of a cat or a dog physically interacting with a pet bird, simply because the latter can inspire viewers to follow suit with their own pets. Therefore, a perpetual presence of such "cute" videos (or photos) effectively stages a potential result of unnecessary physical harm or death to a multitude of pet birds :(. Conversely, any content that can help protect birds is fine to post at Precisely Parrots :)

PeachyDoll
06-27-2015, 04:53 PM
Thanks Tony.

Here is the clip I am talking about. All this happens in seconds and is so terrifying. Watch how Scooter turns his head back and forth and sees the hawk, his trainer has a split second to react. It just goes to show you even with our companion birds right on our arms, they are still not safe outdoors. It is not worth the risk.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

plax
06-27-2015, 05:22 PM
What an amazingly impactful clip! The handler reacted in a precisely appropriate way by instantly protecting Scooter beneath her body. That response from her likely saved his life. Very frightening, but very real!

Thanks for sharing, RB :)

kendrafitz
06-27-2015, 05:27 PM
Scary!! It is crazy how quickly something like that can happen.

I used to bring Rosie out to our covered gazebo or her cage or crate by the pool. But one day something freaked her out while I was walking with her. She started flapping and fighting and got away from me. She ended up flying into an arborvitie tree and thankfully bounced off and landed on our fence. As this is happening my husband and daughter were screaming there was a hawk circling. Probably was what scared her to begin with. That was her last venture out, we just came too close to losing her. :(