PDA

View Full Version : Weaning problems

Mirlito
05-05-2013, 11:28 AM
I have had Poppy weaned from her NutriBird formula since the last 4 weeks and since the last 3 days she has only wanted nothing by fruits (not eating her pellets) and now she is crying (with the wing movements and meep) wanting to be fed. Is this normal or should we be worried? I am concerned, i´ve tried to pretend I am eating the pellets again and even trying her on the fruits again, she is eating a little bit of the grapes again but shes not her usual self even sleeping on her perch and not her hammock.

Her food is always at the highest point in the cage too and fruit on the bottom.

Please help

roxynoodle
05-05-2013, 12:03 PM
I think it is normal for baby birds to regress here and there through the weaning process. If she asks to be fed the formula then I would feed her. Let her wean on her own schedule :) Good luck.

keepsmiling
05-05-2013, 12:34 PM
I agree, give her a comfort feeding or two a day. I would also be very cautious of giving too much fruit. Too much sugar can cause a yeast infection, especially in young birds. One grape is more than enough for a bird her size. I would suggest you encourage vegetables over fruits. She should be abundance weaned. Are you familiar with the process? Has she fledged yet? She should lose weight during the fledging period.
some info
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

great articles on this site

keepsmiling
05-05-2013, 12:43 PM
The term abundance weaning originated with Phoebe Linden, here is a site that offers a little more info, and it looks like you can order it here. I have not found any site where it is completely written out.

Pinkbirdy
05-05-2013, 03:04 PM
I weaned my conure. I also think birds regress .Give Mirlito a variety of things [all the time] Offer the formula . Eventually he should refuse it . Your doing it right by trying to keep track of what hes eating :)

Mirlito
05-05-2013, 08:08 PM
Hi everyone I just read that article and now I am going to feed her whenever she now cries for the food rather on taking for granted that she is eating the pellets, I noticed that for the last 3 days since starting her on grapes that she has not eaten any of her pellets which is so strange because she has been "normal" for at least 4 weeks. I have stopped giving her fruit now and will focus more on veg and give her the formula whenever she cries for it (like you would with a newborn.)

She ate a grape this evening (was the 2nd) and she seemed to be sick, bringing the juice back up again so I stopped giving them to her.

Even now when she is finished eating she is still whimpering for food, is that normal, when on my shoulder?? Shes never been like that.

roxynoodle
05-05-2013, 09:38 PM
Hon, the worries me that she seems sick and isn't eating much of anything. Can you get her into an avian vet? The sooner the better just to make sure she's ok.

greycloud
05-05-2013, 09:50 PM
I agree that this is a bit of a worry. Many weaned babies will regress but they will also cry if they have a yeast or bacterial infection of the crop. I highly recommend a vet visit for crop culture ASAP before it worsens.

keepsmiling
05-06-2013, 01:37 AM
I agree. Holly acted that way and she had a yeast infection.

Mirlito
05-06-2013, 06:49 AM
Well I have hardly slept with worry. Poppy never ate any of her formula this morning but was crying for it like she couldn´t eat it. 2 hours later she was making regurgitation actions but nothing was coming up, sneezing too. She just wants to sleep with me which is totally abnormal. We need to take her to a vet (normal vet) ASAP. We have even contacted the breeder as we are so worried. Do you think it is a yeast infection? Her droppings are a bit more watery too.

I just hope it´s nothing serious I am beside myself with worry :(

I feel so helpless I don´t know what to give her.

keepsmiling
05-06-2013, 08:35 AM
It could be, or it could be bacterial.It is easy to detect once cultures/gram stains are taken. Make sure if it is, the vet gives you an antibiotic and an antifungal. I will keep you and Poppy in my thoughts, and send healing energy.

Mirlito
05-06-2013, 10:42 AM
It turns out she has a kidney infection according to the vet. He prescribed antibiotics and vitamins for her. I had to inject a small piece of grape and feed her it, she ate every bit which is great. She´s to be quarantined with a cover over her cage. If she isn´t better by 5pm i´ve to take her back but I am trying to think positive.

keepsmiling
05-06-2013, 10:49 AM
That is very strange. Did he say exactly what could have caused it in such a young bird? Did he not prescribe an antifungal along with the antibiotics? Sending good thoughts that she soon recovers!:th_hug8:

Mirlito
05-06-2013, 11:30 AM
That is very strange. Did he say exactly what could have caused it in such a young bird? Did he not prescribe an antifungal along with the antibiotics? Sending good thoughts that she soon recovers!:th_hug8:

He did not, only vitamins and antibiotics. He reckons that the blackbird baby we have could have gave her an infection (playing together).

So stupid of us, we honestly thought nothing of it. :( It hurts more because it was OUR fault.

roxynoodle
05-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Anything she will eat is better than nothing. If she won't eat the formula maybe she will eat some warm cereal like oatmeal?

Please try to get her into the vet as soon as possible. An experienced vet will be able to tube feed her critical care formula and give her sub q fluids.

Edit: Ignore what I just said, lol! I somehow missed some posts and see you've already been to the vet. However, I would request an anti fungal as well since antibiotics often then cause a yeast infection.

I'm also wondering why she needs the cover on her cage. I wouldn't cover her and I'd let her engage in whatever activity she felt like doing.

greycloud
05-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Also wondering about the cover??? If anything a light near one side of her cage for warmth is needed, not darkness. How did he test for Kidney infection? Antibiotic should be given directly into the mouth with a syringe to insure she is getting all of it? May I ask what antibiotic she is on? Was this an avian vet? Sorry for questions, just trying to figure out treatment from vet.

roxynoodle
05-06-2013, 12:31 PM
Since she is a recently weaned baby I would also give the antibiotic with a syringe into the beak. You want to put it into the bird's left side and aim it toward the back right sid. Since you were handfeeding I'm sure you probably know that.

Now whenever possible I do use food for meds for my 30+ year old wild caught amazon, lol! I can towel and medicate him, but it's very stressful for him. If I put it on food,, it is the only thing I give him and make sure he eats all of it before he gets anything else to eat. He does get his liver meds twice a day in a small amount of mashed potatoes. For antibiotics and antifungals, I put them on toast and put a light smear of peanut butter on it and he gobbles it right up.

For Merlin's Celebrex I use a Nutriberry and let it dry overnight.

Mirlito
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
Hi guys I´m not quite sure what this antibiotic is. I have to go back on tue and will ask him about the anti fungal. Also I have no idea about the cover, whether it is to keep her settled I am not too sure. It is 25ºC today, so it is not cold. He stated 0.5ml of the antibiotic morning and night injected into a grape where there is more fluid and she will eat it better. He also said to keep feeding her when and what she wanted as this was crucial. He is a normal vet with bird experience and knows her species well. He is based 10 minutes from the house and is really reputable, an avian specific vet is about a 2 hour drive.

I also must put 8 drops of her vitamins into her water every day.

keepsmiling
05-06-2013, 12:52 PM
The antibiotic is not marked as to what it is? What color is it? Very unusual for you not to be told exactly what you are giving. Can you ring and ask? Vitamins in the water prescribed by a vet concerns me. The fact that the vet also says put the antibiotic in a grape, and not directly to the bird concerns me. And no antifungal was offered.If it's feasible, I would make the trip to the avian vet for a 2nd opinion.

greycloud
05-06-2013, 01:02 PM
I have to agree with Carole. Meds should always be administered directly into the bird and not via food or water. This is important to ensure the exact dosage is given. By law all meds must have the names labeled on them with dosage and expiration date. I am concerned for your little one and really feel that an avian vet should examine her.

Mirlito
05-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Hi guys, we called the avian vet (lady) who is 2 hours drive. She advised us that what the vet prescribed us was ok but the vet who we originally went to said it was ok to give her the antibiotics directly into the mouth which we have been doing but she hates it, very bitter antibiotics. They are clear, not coloured.

She is much better, chirpier and eating her formula. Her stools are still watery but they have solid parts. The antibiotics will last for a week but already we do see an improvement. We´ve to take her back on Tuesday for a check up. :)

We also spoke to the breeder he has a lot of experience with the CBC and advised us that what we are doing is correct and has been very helpful too.

She just needs R n R.

We are relieved, was so worrying but at least she is much better. She loves her cuddles :)

roxynoodle
05-08-2013, 01:52 PM
I'm glad she's doing better. It's too bad they didn't flavor the antibiotic. I always taste the meds myself and often they taste like banana or other fruit, which helps :)

Mirlito
05-09-2013, 04:28 PM
I have noticed when eating (not very often) that she is bobbing her head like she is trying to regurgitate and sometimes there is 2 parts of her millet there, though the vet said to me that with her hormones starting to develop she thinks of me as a mate. She´s been chirpy and active and eating a lot. Her feathers are not ruffled like before and her poop is much better. The only problem is since all of this she is not eating her pellets only her millet and formula.

Kalidasa
05-09-2013, 05:42 PM
That is such a cute little conure, like a little jewel.
My conure won't sleep in her hammock anymore either. I think it's just that she's outgrown it, so I took it out, and replaced it with more toys. It took up a lot of space anyway, and she seems happier.
Best of luck with Poppy!

Mirlito
05-09-2013, 05:58 PM
Hi Chris, she´s started to use it again, she´s only 3 months old I don´t know whether it´s phases they go through like teenagers, she´s started to regurgitate food (not always) and little bits of her food will come up, sometimes nothing. She only does it with me.

Now she has stopped eating her pellets and will only eat the mix of sunflower and other seeds.

I wanted to show her poop, personally I think it is beginning to look normal. Sorry to gross you all out.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])

Kalidasa
05-09-2013, 07:57 PM
My conure does that with me all the time...it's a sign of affection called tidbiting. She starts hammering with her beak, and a little food comes out, and she eats it back down. If any gets on my hand, she licks it up. She's just trying to feed you, as she considers you a close flock member.
Mine used to be on seeds before I got her, but switched her to pellets and nutriberries. But if poppy is not feeling well probably let her eat what she wants (within reason). You can gradually switch her diet later if you choose, when she's feeling a little better. (Which I'm sure will happen very soon). :)

Mirlito
05-10-2013, 05:47 AM
I looked into her bed this morning and I found regurgitated seed mix in her bed though tge vet said this is due to tge bitterness of the antibiotics at night but he said that it can be to also over eating and affection towards me

ACEPHONECHIC
05-10-2013, 07:23 AM
I think you should let her eat what she wants in the way of seed at the moment with any sick bird food to keep them going is essential. I have 5 conures who eat seed, fresh fruit and veg and a bean mix and are all very healthy. I have had lots of conures before and cannot see the need to force a pellet diet on them.
I have a crimson bellied conure baby born 14th Jan Ruby and she is adorable, very kind natured.
Get well Ruby soon you look a really sweetie

Mirlito
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Thanks, she is much better eating a lot now she has just regurgitated some seed in her bed last night. Spoke to the breeder today and he advised me at her age this is normal. I think her poop is better too (above)

Absolutely adore the CBC's

roxynoodle
05-10-2013, 11:13 AM
Well, TBH, I've been reading the posts here the last couple of days unsure of what to say, but I'm still worried about your baby. Babies her age don't generally regurgitate to show affection, as that's a sign of courting. I think she is actually vomiting. However, I'm not a vet or an expert in any way. But, the behavior is worrisome to me. When does she go back to the vet for her follow up?

Mirlito
05-10-2013, 11:34 AM
The vet spoke to us last night and said Thursday. She is eating well and chirpy, flying but regurgitates in the morning and at night but we administer the antibiotics at those hours.

roxynoodle
05-10-2013, 11:55 AM
I'm not trying to scare you, I'm really not, and I truly hope everything is ok. I think I'd be worried though if she was keeping the medication down.

I'm a worrier though by nature.

keepsmiling
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM
I agree with Audrey. I have been concerned as well.

Mirlito
05-10-2013, 12:37 PM
I really dont know what to do my fiance trusts the avian vet and normal vets opinion a long with the breeder who all say everything is ok. There are no other avian vet

roxynoodle
05-10-2013, 12:59 PM
I'm not sure what I would do either :( I think I would at least do a phone consultation with another European avian vet who has a good reputation. If you'd like I can ask my vet if there is someone she would recommend you talk to. She is also European certified and was just over there renewing that and speaking with avian vets there.

Kalidasa
05-10-2013, 01:30 PM
Do it after she has her little barfy sessions maybe.....

Mirlito
05-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Hi everyone just a quick update, been so stressed/worried I have so much going on with my house build and working a lot and with poor Poppy being unwell i´ve been so tired.

I spoke to 2 avian vets in Málaga and they both told me that her sickness could be due to the bitterness of the antibiotics in her crop she absolutely hates them and tries to throw it up when we administer it. They advised us to try putting it in her fruit like a grape which is sweeter.

Also, she has improved don´t get me wrong shes so active, eating plenty and playful, but she is not a fan of the meds.

They also advised me that if she had something wrong with her (really ill) her feathers would be puffed up, she would not be eating and her poop would be much different.

I have a review with her on Thursday with the vet and i´ll let you know what he says.

So that is 3 avian vets we have spoken to so far.

Honesty
05-11-2013, 10:50 AM
Thanks for keeping us updated Sarah:)

I am pleased to hear that Poppy is on the mend.

Mirlito
05-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Just wanted to let everyone know that Poppy is much better now and thank you for your support!

keepsmiling
05-12-2013, 08:51 PM
That is wonderful news Sarah! Wishing you the best for Poppy!:th_hug8::th_hug8::th_hug8:

roxynoodle
05-12-2013, 10:33 PM
So glad to hear that! :th_hug8:

Mirlito
05-13-2013, 07:02 AM
We have been monitoring her closely and she only seems to regurgitate in the morning once or twice

keepsmiling
05-13-2013, 07:16 AM
I wonder if you have a pharmacy nearby that does compounding? They take the med{I am assuming this is baytril, it tastes horrid} and they mix in sweet flavor, like banana or tuiti fruiti,etc. It makes it more palatable.

Kalidasa
05-13-2013, 05:51 PM
Hi Sarah! Had to check in on little Poppy, she's so cute everytime I see her pic I smile!:th_biggrin:
Keeping my fingers crossed for her continued health improvements. :th_dancing:

Mirlito
05-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Thanks :D her antibiotics end tomorrow so it will be the last for my poor little Poppy. If she ever needs to take them again (hope not) I will ask the pharmacies around here if they can do that.

She is much better we are so relieved!!

keepsmiling
05-14-2013, 08:11 AM
Yay, I am so happy! Continuing to send good energy and hugs to you!:th_hug8: