PDA

View Full Version : My sweet blue friend, Zaffer

PlaxMacaws
06-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Well, it's been quite a struggle for my best blue buddy (as well as for myself). He's an extra-sensitive and shy bird who harbors a distant past that's unknown to me. Zaf has always been afraid of various common objects - he's even terrified of his own large feathers once they fall away from him. Vet visits are absolute horror for Zaffer; he literally considers them deliberate torture sessions. His broken leg incident in 2013 was nothing short of devastating for him. While his leg healed adequately, I can easily tell that he's suffered some permanent emotional harm. The ordeal clearly changed his life :(

Not long ago, I posted about Zaf no longer talking. I explained that he used to enjoy speaking on a fairly regular basis, but that his utterances of words and phrases ceased upon his broken leg experience 1.75 years ago. My reason for describing this development in Zaf's life is not about whether he talks - I love him the same with or without speech! What it's about is the unimaginable emotional trauma he was forced to endure and that I'm convinced his failure to speak again is a strong indicator of such.

Since Zaf is a very shy parrot, it was always difficult to capture his speaking sessions on video prior to his accident. He was distrustful of devices like cameras and phones, even at a distance. But he used to speak quite often, and his speech was quite clear for a macaw. Below is one of the few videos that I shot of my adorable blue buddy saying "hello" to me in 2012. I miss his voice... but mostly I'm saddened by his obvious post-traumatic stress and its extreme impact upon his life :,(

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Zaf's weight is still down and his appetite is still low. He's eating a bit more, including some pellets now. But he's not eating the foods or the amounts that he should be eating. He's been to an avian vet for this issue. Unfortunately, though, it didn't help much :(

We're pressing on and making gradual improvements. My poor blue kid has had quite a rough time with life :sad:

kendrafitz
06-23-2015, 08:40 PM
Poor Zaf, I'm so sorry he is having such a rough go of it. He is such a sweet guy.

I hope that he regains his appetite soon.

Mr Peepers
06-23-2015, 08:41 PM
That's so sad that he's suffered stress so badly, you give him a wonderful life and environment so I can only hope for Zaf to get better and become your chatty blue boy again with a better appetite and a greater zest for life.

Best of luck and wishes to you both Tony. :th_smile:

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-23-2015, 08:55 PM
He is very handsome, have you any idea how old he is? It is so sad that he had to go through so much pain to find someone who loves him as much as you obviously do. Is he totally silent or does he just not use human words? Whilst the neighbours might not agree, I think a noisy bird is quite joyous, they are just trying to communicate.

PlaxMacaws
06-23-2015, 10:16 PM
He is very handsome, have you any idea how old he is?We thank you! The vet records that came with him in 2005 show a hatch date of 1989. But who knows whether or not that's accurate. Zaf now has cataracts forming in his eyes. He may actually be much older than 26... I'm unsure.

It is so sad that he had to go through so much pain to find someone who loves him as much as you obviously do.It breaks my heart :sad:

Is he totally silent or does he just not use human words?He speaks virtually no human words now. He still says a couple of things now and then that are quite muffled and thus difficult to interpret. And he does emit occasional Hy blasts and other bird sounds... just no talking.

Whilst the neighbours might not agree, I think a noisy bird is quite joyous, they are just trying to communicate.Agreed!

Mare
06-24-2015, 04:51 AM
Aww..yes, that was quite a difficult time for Zaf AND you, Tony, when he broke his leg :(. Love him for who he is now, don't have sad feelings around him, he will feel that. My birds have empathy for me, they know when I'm blue..that's why I say this.

Macaw Lover
06-24-2015, 01:11 PM
Just keep on loving him and hopefully one day he will surprise you and start talking again. Fingers crossed.

PlaxMacaws
06-24-2015, 04:07 PM
Aww..yes, that was quite a difficult time for Zaf AND you, Tony, when he broke his leg :(. Love him for who he is now, don't have sad feelings around him, he will feel that. My birds have empathy for me, they know when I'm blue..that's why I say this.Thanks Mare. But please know that I very much love him for who he is now! And as much as I'm able, I DO present around him as fun and positive. We play, we cuddle, and we have lots of fun every day. But lets face it... when someone with a heart is aware of another's terrible misfortune in life, that knowledge and the concern that stems from it will always exist. The bottom line is that we simply can't erase what we know and how we feel about it inside :(

Just keep on loving him and hopefully one day he will surprise you and start talking again. Fingers crossed.I hear you Renee'... but my point is really that the emotional trauma Zaf experienced was devastatingly horrible enough to change his personality in a huge way :,(. In other words, I don't care if he's a parrot who won't or can't talk... BUT I DO care very much that he has been forced to experience the tremendously torturous events he's gone through, and that those events have taken their toll on him :dispirited:

spiritbird
06-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Zaf could not be in a better home then with you. Who knows what he experienced prior to you. I hope he can focus on the present time and snap out of his slump. Do birds take anti depressants?

PlaxMacaws
06-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Zaf could not be in a better home then with you. Who knows what he experienced prior to you. I hope he can focus on the present time and snap out of his slump. Do birds take anti depressants?Thanks Dianne. Some birds have in fact been prescribed antidepressants. But the concept of placing birds on such a regimen can be somewhat controversial. And I'm not sure that Zaf would be likely to benefit from taking an antidepressant. He actually plays hard and has some good fun every day. But there are simply underlying factors involved that can't be ignored - e.g., his terrible fear of going to the vet, his diminishment in appetite with the resulting weight loss, and the loss of his will to vocalize. I'm not sure I would trust an antidepressant as a fix for those things. It's an interesting idea, though.

94lt1
06-24-2015, 06:16 PM
Hey ya remember the hyacinth that we rescued from that "situation".. Well...he's doing the same thing..he said 3 phrases constantly and would do a birdy rhumba dance...

About 3 months ago ..he stopped..here's the REALLY odd part. So did the other 2 Hyacinths that she's caring for ..i haven't talked to her lately..i will though because i need to take Monte to see her.

I'm not suggesting a hyacinth revolt..but..idk..she was concerned over his weight loss and suddenly being very passive..once he was rescued ..he was quite the character..

PlaxMacaws
08-08-2015, 12:39 AM
This evening, I walked into the room where Zaf's cage is located... As soon as he saw me he actually said "Hello" in the deep-ish, very clear voice that he used to use prior to his broken leg incident!!! I've not heard him say much of anything, and certainly nothing intelligible, since September of 2013 prior to his accident. But this evening he sounded just like he does on the vid clip in the thread starter post here :th_biggrin:. I'm truly elated about this! I was worried that the emotional trauma Zaf had suffered was severe enough to permanently impair him. This is such a positive step! Now if I could only get him to eat more and gain his weight back :(

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 12:41 AM
Wooohooo! Awesome news. Zaf is such a good boy, I'm glad he is feeling a bit more vocal. You must have been dancing around in excitement. I know I would be.

How is the eating thing going?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Lady
08-08-2015, 12:45 AM
:th_hug8::th_yah: What great news!!! I would almost imagine it stopped you in your tracks. Did you get all excited when you hear him speak or did you sit down and gently tell him what a wonderful thing it was to hear his sweet voice again?

PlaxMacaws
08-08-2015, 12:57 AM
I actually did all of the above... dancing, jumping, telling him what a good boy he is and yelling "He said Hello... he said Hello... he really said Hello!!!" :D. And then I petted and scratched him continuing to tell him how happy he made me and what a great boy he is :)

Kendra: He is still eating way less than he should :(

Lady
08-08-2015, 01:19 AM
I know all of us share your excitement and hope he continues to speak "people words" as well as gain a healthy appetite.

kendrafitz
08-08-2015, 01:38 AM
I hope his appetite improves.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

PlaxMacaws
08-08-2015, 01:39 AM
I know all of us share your excitement and hope he continues to speak "people words" as well as gain a healthy appetite.Thanks Alice :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
08-08-2015, 11:53 AM
It seems logical to me that parrots can suffer similar psychiatric problems to humans, they have the intelligence and capacity to reason. As to whether medication is the answer is debatable. Perhaps some sessions on a parrot hypnotherapists perch if such a person exists.

spiritbird
08-08-2015, 12:21 PM
Could the slow down of his appetite be a natural happening? You really do not know his age is that right? And you know he can read your emotions well and if you are looking at him with negative thoughts he will feel that. Its got to be very hard on the both of you.

PeachyDoll
08-08-2015, 02:22 PM
Tony reading your initial post brought tears to my eyes. Zaf is such a special bird.

Those who adopt older animals particularly animals that suffered traumas, we have to work extra to regain their trust but I know it can be done. I have a huge soft spot for abused and older birds.

You are doing everything right to reinforce his milestones, getting excited and telling him he is such a good boy. In my research I've read they really do pick up on our facial expression, tone of voice and body language.

Have you tried any appetite stimulants for Zaffer? I'm curious if any of them work.

PlaxMacaws
08-08-2015, 04:12 PM
Tony reading your initial post brought tears to my eyes. Zaf is such a special bird.

Those who adopt older animals particularly animals that suffered traumas, we have to work extra to regain their trust but I know it can be done. I have a huge soft spot for abused and older birds.

You are doing everything right to reinforce his milestones, getting excited and telling him he is such a good boy. In my research I've read they really do pick up on our facial expression, tone of voice and body language.

Have you tried any appetite stimulants for Zaffer? I'm curious if any of them work.Only the Lactulose. The problem with trying to get extra substances into Zaf in any form other than within his water is that it's such a difficult challenge. I can't very well hide anything within the few foods that he'll currently eat because the slightest change to a food item will cause him to reject it. And forcing any substance into him isn't an option because he's absolutely terrified of syringes and other elongated objects. Anything forced upon him becomes significantly traumatizing - not to mention the fact that it's extremely difficult to administer a substance in such a way when he's in a state of panic. Additionally, such stress may be critically unhealthy for him. Zaf has held true on his decision to entirely reject many of the foods that used to be among his favorites. So again, I'm afraid to change anything about the few things he will still consume for fear that he may decide to reject those as well. That said, the purpose of adding the Lactulose solution (prescribed by the vet) to Zaf's water was its appetite stimulant properties. Sadly, though, it didn't help one bit :(

Could the slow down of his appetite be a natural happening? You really do not know his age is that right? And you know he can read your emotions well and if you are looking at him with negative thoughts he will feel that. Its got to be very hard on the both of you.I don't think so, Dianne. There is no reason I can think of that even an older healthy bird should suddenly and permanently lose its appetite and thus drop 100 grams within the span of a few months. Zaf has lost about 6% of his weight since March. It's this weight loss that's among the most concerning of elements to me. He is more or less maintaining at his lower weight point... but he refuses to consume enough food to gain beyond that point.

It seems logical to me that parrots can suffer similar psychiatric problems to humans, they have the intelligence and capacity to reason. As to whether medication is the answer is debatable. Perhaps some sessions on a parrot hypnotherapists perch if such a person exists.I agree with you on the similarities between human psychological disorders and those of our psittacine friends. Zaf's anorexia is puzzling :(

Importantly, please be aware that Zaf's droppings have continued to appear entirely normal (healthy in appearance - urates and solids) throughout his diminished appetite period. Also importantly, he has maintained his active, playful personality all along - he gets into trouble each and every day ;). In other words, you wouldn't know there is anything wrong with him by observing his behaviors or looking at his poop.

Thanks for your concern, everyone!

Mr Peepers
08-08-2015, 05:55 PM
WOW ! such amazing news to hear your boy speak again, I'm happy for you and for Zaf. Perhaps he is now on the road to mend and his appetite might pick up soon? I will keep fingers eyes and things crossed hoping the best for your special boy. :th_smile: