PDA

View Full Version : Hello from S. Florida

Merrick
06-22-2015, 02:14 AM
Hi i am Merrick and i came to this forum to learn more about parrots specifically cockatiels. I have never owned a bird but am thinking of getting one.

plax
06-22-2015, 02:23 AM
Hello Merrick. Thanks for joining us. We have several cockatiel owner members here. I'm sure they will be happy to share their knowledge with you. Cockatiels are cool little birds :D

spiritbird
06-22-2015, 05:29 AM
Welcome. Please join in and tell us about why you chose a tiel. They are sweet and smart birds.

Zoo mom
06-22-2015, 07:43 AM
Welcome.

Merrick
06-22-2015, 03:36 PM
I like tiels one because they are a bit bigger then budgies which i feel i can not handle but not to big. I also like them because they are smart, sociable, and very interesting but that is like most birds. They are also native to Australia which would complete my around the world animal collection. I have a Boa Constrictor (South America), Kingsnake (North America) , Hermmanns Tortoise (Europe), Leopard Tortoise (Africa) , and a Leopard Gecko (Asia) . That is not a main reason though.

kendrafitz
06-22-2015, 04:00 PM
Hi Merrick and welcome!

Mr Peepers
06-22-2015, 05:08 PM
Hi Merrick welcome to the forum. :th_smile:

Lady
06-22-2015, 11:28 PM
:th_welcome2: nice to have you. A cockatiel huh, cool. They are great whistlers too. I hope you are researching the rescues places in your area and get to go to visit them in person. Do you prefer a male or female or does that even matter? How about a name, do you have some in mind? Oh and don't forget they will need a nice size cage and hopefully you have your eye on a certified avian vet that you would visit for the yearly check ups.
So much to think about but ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh so worth it~

Merrick
06-23-2015, 02:10 AM
I have researched some rescues their is one close buy but their cockatiel is a bit rowdy and i am not sure if i can handle that. I may end up buying from a breeder. I don't care whether male or female. As for a name i think A1 or B2 would be cool. Also my vet is Dr. K from the show on Nat Geo Wild (I found her before the show).

Mr Peepers
06-23-2015, 03:00 PM
If you don't want to deal with the stress of eggs and hormones from hens then I'd suggest getting a cock tiel. Not all hens get super broody and not all hens have issues with eggs getting stuck in them but some hens can have real issues when they come into season.

I like to avoid that type of hormonal problem especially if this is going to be your first bird so maybe think on the lines of getting a male tiel. Good luck with what ever you get. :th_smile:

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-23-2015, 09:03 PM
Hi Merrick
please bear in mind that a bird might freak at the sight of a snake. Would it be fair on them to keep them in the same residence?

Merrick
06-23-2015, 10:30 PM
Hi Merrick
please bear in mind that a bird might freak at the sight of a snake. Would it be fair on them to keep them in the same residence?

Not to worry my snakes will be in a totally separate room from my future bird. If you think it would be a real problem i may reconsider. I do want what is best for any animal in my care.

Mare
06-24-2015, 04:35 AM
Hi, Merrick :). Welcome..again! The cockatiel that I have has been with us for a couple years now and he is amazing, not hands on though. He was found as an escaped bird from somewhere in the desert..(long story). He is beautiful and brave and sings his heart out! I know that a hand fed/tame cockatiel could be perfect for you. My son's girlfriend wanted to bring me home a young one she fell in love with at a pet shop and my son nixed it..damn kid :(

wingman
06-30-2015, 01:10 AM
Hi Merrick glad your here

spiritbird
06-30-2015, 02:14 AM
Peeps is right. Female tiels are notorious for egg laying. You run the risk of egg binding which can be fatal. Plus they really don't whistle much.