PDA

View Full Version : A new batch of ravens..

Mare
06-15-2015, 01:44 PM
We have 3 new young ravens, plus their parents, in the neighborhood. They are always around, it was pretty sweet, about 2weeks ago, when I could tell they were fledging/learning to fly and quivering their wings every time a parent was near.

I've been dropping fresh compost, things like old grapes and watermelon, seed from my bird's cups, on the hill across from my kitchen window, just to watch them..SUCH characters! Yesterday, one of them rolled over on his back and I thought..OMG!!..is it dying?! He/she did it a few more times and then continued to feed.

I have a question..do you think I shouldn't be feeding these guys? I would hate for them to become dependent..

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-15-2015, 03:17 PM
I don't see any problems with you spreading treats across the hillside - they still have to forage for them. Enjoy watching them.
We have jackdaws nesting in one of our chimney pots, they were there when we moved in to the house (which was built about three hundred years ago) in 1976 so I suspect they are several generations on. They are like the neighbours from hell - they have all their friends around for noisy parties which always end in a fight.
I guess their supply of available chimney pots is a bit restricted nowadays as new houses are no longer built with chimney stacks.

Mare
06-15-2015, 03:45 PM
I love your English words for things, Jean-Pierre! I would never think to call that place where the smoke comes out..a chimney pot :) Thank you, I think I will continue to feed them scraps, they do enjoy them. The watermelon that I fed them..not a speck left!!

Mr Peepers
06-15-2015, 05:40 PM
I would leave them scraps, they will still follow their parents and learn where food is like in corn fields and farm lands as well as learn where drinking water sources are. The scraps you leave won't cause a problem unless they bring all their friends and family and wait outside your door calling for the chuck wagon. :th_eek:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I had a nest of crows in a large tree near my garage a few years ago, I loved that the crows returned yearly to use the nest again and again to raise their chicks. I often left out food scraps for the crows and their chicks during the day, I loved to sit and watch them looking for the food I hid behind rocks or trees in the yard. I loved their noisy playfulness and trouble they would get into, I often found the chicks fighting as they tried to steal a large metal wind chime I had hanging in a tree.

Enjoy your new friends. :th_smile:

spiritbird
06-15-2015, 07:34 PM
I am all for feeding wild creatures. I think I posted this before but where I used to live I had the opportunity to do so. In this new apartment there is no way I could feed a wild critter. Not even bird seed.

94lt1
06-15-2015, 08:51 PM
Ravens are characters.. If I didn't have our flock..i would try to obtain the necessary permission to have them..they get hurt down here all the time..

Mr Peepers
06-15-2015, 11:05 PM
I am all for feeding wild creatures. I think I posted this before but where I used to live I had the opportunity to do so. In this new apartment there is no way I could feed a wild critter. Not even bird seed.

Very nice to see these deer so close to your window/door. I love all the birds flying around and hanging out for a nibble of any of the food left over. :th_smile:

Mare
06-17-2015, 03:53 AM
Brandon, If I found one fallen from a nest, I would keep my eye on it, if the parents abandoned him/her, I would bring it home and call him Lucky! :)

Dianne, I think I've seen this video before, very special!

I've still been dropping compost for them and now the squirrels have discovered the area. It's turning into a who is quickest to discover the goodies!

spiritbird
06-17-2015, 12:15 PM
Mare I am glad you are feeding these birds. Thank you for caring!

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-17-2015, 09:49 PM
I love your English words for things, Jean-Pierre! I would never think to call that place where the smoke comes out..a chimney pot :) Thank you, I think I will continue to feed them scraps, they do enjoy them. The watermelon that I fed them..not a speck left!!

Hmm, just a word I have always taken for granted. I would imagine the word pot comes from the fact that they are made of pottery. You can get them in America too: [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mare
06-17-2015, 10:24 PM
I've never seen these chimney pots..not in California. Maybe the folks back east have a different view?

Lady
06-17-2015, 11:54 PM
I think I've seen them but will have to pay better attention when we go out in the neighborhood to be sure. I don't see ravens here, tho they might be somewhere in the area. Heck I wonder if I could even tell them apart :grumpy:.