PDA

View Full Version : Floors

spiritbird
06-10-2015, 12:48 PM
We see many parrots on the floor. I think this is so dangerous, especially with other pets in the home. I know there are some birds like Cockatoos that really like to be on the floor. The bird allowed to run around on the floor can pick up something dangerous like a pin or staple and you would never know it. What do you think?

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-10-2015, 02:58 PM
Like kids, you can't wrap them up in cotton wool all the time. When Casper hits the floor and starts waddling the cry goes up: "Parrot on Patrol" so we are both aware even if in another room. There have been a couple of close shaves though when he has stood behind one of us. We tend to shuffle backwards nowadays so as not to tread on him.

Lady
06-10-2015, 04:07 PM
I'm thinking your right about this, especially for newbies who have never experienced a bird in their home. Like children who are small and are at ground level things need to be looked at from this perspective so that caution can be taken when they are out and about.

Mr Peepers
06-10-2015, 05:46 PM
I agree its not the best to have your bird hanging around on the floor, I've seen some youtubes with birds running around on some floors that had all sorts of debris laying around that would surely harm the bird if it decided to have a nibble.

None of my smaller birds ever went to the floor for any reason which was good for me! But Mr Peepers had to change all that, since he's on such a restricted diet he has learned that there will be some fallen seeds from SPX's cage on the floor under SPX's cage so he flies down there to scavenger hunt for them.

I was unaware he was on the floor one time and accidentally kicked him a couple of feet one day. He and I both freaked out but it didn't stop the little bugggga from continuously looking for stray seeds.

He keeps me on my toes. while I keep my toe on his bottom. :th_biggrin:

Here he in on the hunt. :th_shakehead:

We need a Head Smack smiley! [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] :th_biggrin:

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

kendrafitz
06-10-2015, 09:19 PM
I agree that it is pretty dangerous for birds to be on the floor, especially with other pets.

That being said, like with children, you can't always control everything.

Rosie has not had any desire to be on the floor. Then a few days ago she climbed down from her small java perch in my daughters room and waddled over to where I was sitting on the floor. Yesterday she climbed down from her perch in my room and waddled to me. I guess I must sit on the floor a lot. Lol. New thing and I hope it is a short lived habit.

If it gets to be an issue, I will have to do the same thing I do when she is on my bed. Close the door and keep the dogs out. I have given up trying to control everything at the Fitz Farm. I just have to modify things and my behavior to make sure we are all safe and happy. I once had a dog trainer tell me that dog training is really training people. I feel it is pretty much the same with Rosie. My animals train me, not tell other way around. ;)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Mr Peepers
06-10-2015, 09:38 PM
I agree that it is pretty dangerous for birds to be on the floor, especially with other pets.

That being said, like with children, you can't always control everything.

Rosie has not had any desire to be on the floor. Then a few days ago she climbed down from her small java perch in my daughters room and waddled over to where I was sitting on the floor. Yesterday she climbed down from her perch in my room and waddled to me. I guess I must sit on the floor a lot. Lol. New thing and I hope it is a short lived habit.

If it gets to be an issue, I will have to do the same thing I do when she is on my bed. Close the door and keep the dogs out. I have given up trying to control everything at the Fitz Farm. I just have to modify things and my behavior to make sure we are all safe and happy. I once had a dog trainer tell me that dog training is really training people. I feel it is pretty much the same with Rosie. My animals train me, not tell other way around. ;)

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Well said! :th_smile:

spiritbird
06-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Boy that Mr. Peepers is a trip! Does Rosie fly in your home Kendra?

kendrafitz
06-10-2015, 10:05 PM
She is starting to, just a little. I was just walking her to her cage for a time out and she flew off my hand. Stinker!!

Mare
06-11-2015, 03:45 AM
I've never seen Chip go to the floor, he likes the high altitudes, I guess..? When Amigo was a mostly inside the house bird, there was no "off limits" for him (in his mind), he was/went EVERYWHERE..floor, top of curtains, fireplace mantel,, all the other animals in the house were scared to death of him and would leave the room, pronto! Now that he is outside most of the day, I only see him on the ground once in a while and it's normally when I am near, he will land near me to dig in the dirt looking for roots to chew on.

Sassy likes the floor. She is a big chewer of things like flip-flops and feet :). one thing about Sassy..when she is on the floor, believe me, you know where she is at every second! :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-11-2015, 06:17 PM
If the door between the sitting room and the entrance hall is open, even just a little bit, Casper will make a bee-line for it and squeeze through. Once out in the hall he disappears behind the curtains that cover the front door. Not sure what is behind there that amuses him but he spends a lot of time there giggling and muttering to himself. Should any poor soul make the mistake of knocking on the front door whilst he is there they get a right old shrieking at for disturbing him.

kendrafitz
06-11-2015, 11:49 PM
I love that Casper giggles behind the curtains. :)

spiritbird
06-12-2015, 01:26 AM
Wish we could see a video of Casper and the door.