PDA

View Full Version : My budgie is in Perma Moult stage

Mr Peepers
06-09-2015, 06:29 PM
SPX is always moulting, ALWAYS.

I blame it on the crazy weather here, its either too hot that I have to put on the air conditioner for an hour or so or its so cold that the heating in the house clicks on and remains on over night. Either way SPX gets affected by the slightest change in temperatures and becomes a soft moulting spiky headed monster.

I shouldn't complain at least he's happy flying around making noise by screaming at me of singing budgie style (which is just more screaming.) :th_biggrin:

Zoo mom
06-09-2015, 09:01 PM
Well here it got down to 55 last night but it is up to 81 F now.

spiritbird
06-09-2015, 09:35 PM
A balanced diet (seeds/pellets with daily fruits and veggies) is the key to helping your budgies pass their molts. Molting foods are available at pet stores; however often they are unnecessary if the bird is on a nutritious diet high in protein, vitamins and minerals. 10-12 hours of sleep per day is also important for molting birds as it helps their bodies recycle and produce energy. You will notice that your budgies will want to sleep or rest more, please allow them to do so. As much as you’d like to play with them, they want to get over their molt just as much. Exercise is another important factor that will help your budgies recover from their molts quicker. Lastly, bathing/misting/spraying should be done at least once a week for molting budgies since it helps their new feathers to grow in and also to soothe the itch of their pin feathers.

So how much sleep is he getting and is it a quality sleep? Are you providing extra protein? Poor baby needs some long lasting feathers. He must be really miserable.
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Mr Peepers
06-09-2015, 09:57 PM
Well here it got down to 55 last night but it is up to 81 F now.

Its been raining off and on all day, its currently 68 F but a little humid. Its suppose to thunder lightning storm with temps dipping to the 50 F. This is what messes up my poor boy the constant fluctuations in temps don't help him at all.

Mr Peeper's doesn't moult like SPX, Peepers does that once a year moult that can take 2 months to get through. I almost prefer Peepers moult type compared to SPX's moults.

Mr Peepers
06-09-2015, 10:00 PM
Now that the days are longer SPX should be staying up later but I'm covering the boy's cages at 8 pm and letting them rest as I uncover them way early in the morning. They should be getting 12 hours rest but mostly they get 9 - 10 hours rest.

kendrafitz
06-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Poor SPX, we feel your pain here. Rosie molts all year as well. It is neverending. She drops a bunch of feathers, they grow in and I hope we are done for a bit. But without fail, within a week or two, a new group starts. Interestingly, even though it is constant, it is a slow process. I believe her wing and tail feathers are around for almost a year. They just take turms slowly molting I guess. Right now is rough bc she is getting a ton of feathers in around her collar. So she is super cranky, can't say I blame her.

I hope your buddy gets a bit of a break soon.

Mr Peepers
06-10-2015, 05:31 PM
Poor SPX, we feel your pain here. Rosie molts all year as well. It is neverending. She drops a bunch of feathers, they grow in and I hope we are done for a bit. But without fail, within a week or two, a new group starts. Interestingly, even though it is constant, it is a slow process. I believe her wing and tail feathers are around for almost a year. They just take turms slowly molting I guess. Right now is rough bc she is getting a ton of feathers in around her collar. So she is super cranky, can't say I blame her.

I hope your buddy gets a bit of a break soon.

Poor Rosie having to endure this crazy moulting as well.

Funny now that you mentioned it I don't see SPX dropping flights or tail feathers often, that might happen every 6 months or so on a really heavy moult. I guess I can be thankful he doesn't have the heavy moults more often. :th_smile: