PDA

View Full Version : Leaving Your Bird Alone

spiritbird
05-31-2015, 10:32 PM
How long in time would you leave your bird alone? Vacations! Can you even take them or want to take them because your birds would suffer?

Do you have a pet sitter, a place to board your bird or someone reliable to take over their care while you are gone?

Some of us are fortunate to be able to go on a trip or vacation and be assured our pets will be OK. Some of us may work 12 hours shifts and be too tired to interact with our birds. Anyway these are the thoughts that are running through my mind today.

I am lucky to be retired and spend many hours in a day with my birds. Linnies are eating all day long and thus dropping a mess to clean up all day long. I could not imagine what their cage would look like if I did not clean it at least 3 times a day. I fill their dishes with veggies, fruit and other treats 3 times a day too. I really think they would suffer if I were not with them.

Mare
06-01-2015, 08:51 PM
There is normally someone around our home, in and out of the rooms where the birds are.. everyday. Dianne, our birds are fortunate have someone around to tend to them but there are many birds that don't have this. Thankfully, in many cases it doesn't mean they aren't happy well adjusted birds. If I were away from my bird most of the day, I would definitely have him a companion bird in the same room, not cage :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-01-2015, 10:32 PM
We have some good friends where Casper goes to stay whilst we have our annual holiday. His cage is put next to a set of patio doors that open up the whole width of the room to the garden and he is quite happy flicking mango up their beautifully painted walls.
After a couple of days he settles in and is quite content sitting on their shoulders whilst they are trying to get things done.
A bit like going to stay at a five star hotel for parrots. I am surprised he always wants to come home with us when we get back.

kendrafitz
06-01-2015, 10:50 PM
We are fortunate. My mother comes to hang out with Rosie and the dogs. If she isn't available, my mil will come stay at the house. She is terrified of Rosie though so I have one of the neighborhood girls come and take her out and put her to bed. My mil will talk to her, just won't touch her.

I know many people board their birds at Bird Paradise when they go away. Not sure how much people time they get and I have a feeling they are in cages the while time. Rosie would hate it but I guess it's an option for an emergency.

spiritbird
06-02-2015, 01:06 AM
Sounds like you all have away time well taken care of.

94lt1
06-02-2015, 01:09 AM
I dread having to leave our flock alone.. Usually we have a person we can depend on or our vet will take them until we get back.. he's really good with them....anything longer than a day won't fly with me.. A lot can happen in 24hrs