PDA

View Full Version : Amigo and his.. seed cup..

Mare
05-30-2015, 03:00 AM
Amigo has been trying to hatch a seed cup for around two weeks now. He drug it up from a different cage that was stored on the back deck, he brought it to the top of one of his outdoor cages and has been setting on it for quite awhile now. I made the decision last night to remove the cup this morning before I let him outside, hoping that he could/would start enjoying life as he once knew it, free as a bird, getting into mischief/trouble when he felt necessary..you know,,the usual.

It was the saddest thing when I put him out this morning. He looked high and low for his egg/seed cup, and started to stress about it. I felt so bad,, I had to put it back :(. I'm hoping this phase will soon pass.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

kendrafitz
05-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I don't have a suggestion. Poor guy.

I have read that parrots will eventually get bored when their eggs don't hatch and move on. (That is when dummy eggs have been used to replace non fertile eggs). I don't know how long it takes for them to realize their eggs won't hatch though.

Wish I could be more help. Poor Amigo!

spiritbird
05-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Has he ever done this before? Two weeks may not be long enough. He will eventually give up on this and become more interested in life as he knows it to be. I really was not aware that a male bird would do this.

Mare
05-30-2015, 01:56 PM
Thanks, ladies :). Dianne, I have seen Amigo do this behavior years ago, before he started free flying. He had found a shot glass, stuck down in between the cushions in a chair. He pulled a towel into the chair, made himself a "nest", pulled the shot glass in and started to set. We thought it was kinda sweet so let him be for several hours. When I put him back in his cage, I also cleaned up the chair and that was that, he didn't seem concerned about it the next time I had him out and I've not seen him do this since, not until now.

Male and female cockatoos share time setting on their eggs. I'll try not to get stressed about this, just give him more time to do his thing.

Mare
05-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Guess WHAT!?! Amigo has dumped his towel and seed cup/egg over the edge of his cage! They are on the deck and I'm not going to touch it. He is now in the process of dismantling the cage food ports and trying to drop his bowls, that are on top of the cage, over the side. This could be a good sign :)

kendrafitz
05-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Woooohooo!

Lady
05-30-2015, 06:36 PM
Oh my looks like I signed in right on time to see what happens now. I hope he goes back to being his usual happy self.

spiritbird
05-31-2015, 12:27 AM
What a character he is. Would love to meet him. Can you get videos?

Mare
06-02-2015, 07:25 PM
The past couple of days had been back to normal, until yesterday. He FOUND his seed cup I buried in a box of things my son had on the back deck! I had some work in town and Little booger went scavenging. Tim caught him in the act of dragging his seed cup over to his cage so..he helped him out and put it up there for him! When I got home, Amigo was setting on his cup, no towel just wire cage top, happy as could be. He lost interest within the hour and I brought the seed cup in the house and buried it in a cupboard..he'll NEVER find it there! :)

kendrafitz
06-02-2015, 11:20 PM
Lol! Poor Amigo. Glad he is back to normal!

Lady
06-03-2015, 12:16 AM
Goodness I think I would have to wrap that cup in a towel, put it in a bag, bury it in a box then put it in the cupboard :th_LOL:!

Casper's 2nd best friend
06-03-2015, 11:39 AM
He's probably wondering what to do next to keep you amused/confused. :th_smile:

Mr Peepers
06-05-2015, 06:37 PM
I love Amigo, I've been slowly reading my way through your many threads about this fascinating TOO and can't keep from smiling. I found it interesting he is trying to nest even though he's on his own. Hormones go figure. :th_biggrin:

Mare
06-08-2015, 08:44 PM
Hi, Mr. Peepers :). Welcome to our forum! Amigo is not on his own, I just allow him to be free during the day. He comes in to the house a few times during the day and most nights. He is..a..pet..? Sort of like one of our dogs..?, maybe? We love our dogs, they follow me around the yard, on walks, sitting/meditating/contemplating life all around the property and Amigo is just one of us :)

Mr Peepers
06-08-2015, 08:57 PM
Hi, Mr. Peepers :). Welcome to our forum! Amigo is not on his own, I just allow him to be free during the day. He comes in to the house a few times during the day and most nights. He is..a..pet..? Sort of like one of our dogs..?, maybe? We love our dogs, they follow me around the yard, on walks, sitting/meditating/contemplating life all around the property and Amigo is just one of us :)

I should have said Amigo doesn't have a mate (on his own)

All our fids and creatures are our kids and one of us. :th_smile:

Mare
06-08-2015, 09:05 PM
You're correct, Amigo has no U2 mate. Hormones are playing a role in his behavior, for sure.

spiritbird
06-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Mare are you getting ready for the big vacation yet? You can bring home a mate for Amigo!

Mare
06-08-2015, 11:23 PM
Haha! Oh, God, NO, Dianne! No mate in the near future for Amigo! :). Umbrella Cockatoos originate from Indonesia, the sulphur-crested and others, from Australia. South America is where macaws and Amazons come from and I'm sure, many others but not cockatoos.

We are getting very excited about our trip, we will be leaving June 29 from Los Angeles to Bogota. After a few days, we will be off to Peru for around 8 days.

Lady
06-08-2015, 11:42 PM
Just wanted to take a moment to wish you and your hubby a wonderful and safe trip! Don't forget the camera and batteries :th_smile:.

Mr Peepers
06-09-2015, 01:39 AM
Just wanted to take a moment to wish you and your hubby a wonderful and safe trip! Don't forget the camera and batteries :th_smile:.

DITTO this! :th_smile:

plax
06-09-2015, 04:41 AM
Yes, travel safely and enjoy yourselves, Mare! :)

Mare
06-09-2015, 04:53 AM
We still have a few weeks till departure. In the mean time..I have plenty of time to worry about my birds! :(. Just kidding, I have a good feeling that my kids will come through. They know how important my birds are to me.

What worries me most is my gardens! If the watering gets neglected..blood will spill!