PDA

View Full Version : how do you quite a flock that wants to be loud?

ShellyBorg
05-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I have a splinting head ache, three birds screaming at me because the 4th is sitting on the arm of my chair yelling "Shut up!" at them. What is a poor Fid mother to do.....give them all showers! Now they are happily preening and settling down for naps.

What do you do?

keepsmiling
05-03-2013, 10:20 PM
I have mine conditioned to rainy days, so lights out on occasion. That way, if I need a quiet day because I am feeling bad, they stay in low key all day. It isn't dark, it's just not bright from the lights.

mistywaterwoman
05-03-2013, 10:25 PM
I just tell mine "Sh sh sh sh sh" and they quiet right down! I guess they are trying to figure out what that noise is? I get funny looks, but they settle right down for me...

HectorIlly
05-03-2013, 11:05 PM
I figured out last night that a couple of claps and a "quiet" in a stern tone settled my two... Not sure if that's the usual way you would quiet birds but it worked! Showers don't really quieten them as they both start screaming and dancing.

roxynoodle
05-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Usually if I lay down on the couch that is in the room where their cages are, they will be quiet. They seem to know I'm not feeling well, and they can see me so they aren't calling for me. Rowdy and Pete will even whisper to each other :)

Mayden
05-04-2013, 12:00 AM
Lights get dimmed, for Merlin it sometimes requires being covered for 5 minutes to get the hint, but usually lights down is usually enough. :)

Pinkbirdy
05-04-2013, 02:04 AM
If its really bad ,break out the cookies :)

roxynoodle
05-04-2013, 11:43 AM
If its really bad ,break out the cookies :)

Lol! Cookies might shut me up for awhile, too.

Animalman2046
05-05-2013, 12:24 AM
Audrey when all fails.............drink drink drink...........lol. My Ziggy is usually very quiet and not a problem here. I am really lucky! Feel better.

Turquoise
05-06-2013, 10:11 AM
I also use the light above the cage out system on Roscoe & Angel, my Catalina macaws. It is not dark & they still have plenty of light to eat by. They are they only two I have right now that like to mock fight/scream at each other at times. They rarely call for me when I go 'Into the Cave' as they know what time I get up & save that scream for if I am late coming out of said cave (my interpretation of what they think when I disappear behind the door as I pass their cage) . I only use this method when they are screaming for an extended time while I am trying to sleep for work. I work nights, 4 on & 4 off.

Their cage is just on the other side of my bedroom, but not for long. Hubby is in the process of finishing the interior of my new bedroom. So soon I will be moving into it & they will move into my old bedroom & the 'cave' wall will be no more. It will open up the front of the living room and expand their play perch areas greatly. I bet they will be wondering why they moved into the 'cave' & where Mom goes now?