PDA

View Full Version : wood branch perches

wingman
04-22-2015, 09:58 PM
I really want to start using natural wood branch perches. Not really sure if we can afford them at the pet stores. Does anyone have info on what type of wood I could find to use and how will I be able to make it bird safe from parasites or germs from the wild????? Really want a more natural environment for my 3 cages and birds . also any one looking to sell older cages they don't need let me know!! It will be for budgies and lovebirds....thanks!
I will get shipping! And price for cage. Will have to do it at first of month.

cdog
04-22-2015, 10:34 PM
My conures LOVE the cholla perches I made for them. I just stopped on the side of the road in Arizona and picked up a large, dead cholla cactus and took it home. I submerged individual branches in the tub with GSE and water for 24 hours to kill everything. I left them out in the sun to dry after. Then I put large bolts through the ends to attach to the cages. My conures love to pick at the perches and stash food in the holes(which can be messy).

P.S. Make sure the cholla is dead before you pick it up, they are covered in spines and are nasty to grab while still alive.

Lady
04-23-2015, 01:10 AM
I searched the net and there is good information out there to answer your question and plenty to read. For whatever reason I liked this link the best atm.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

coltfire
04-23-2015, 01:38 AM
I'm so lucky to be able to walk outside and grab new branches as needed.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
Willow is supposed to be a favourite because the bark comes off nicely when a beak is applied. I think you have to tell them not to do it for them to get the full enjoyment out of it.

wingman
04-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Thank you Alice! Great information .......

spiritbird
04-23-2015, 10:31 PM
Willow is nice for the small birds. I did gather some that were nice and curved, put them through the cleaning process and put them in the cage secured with zip ties. Very easy. I got the branches from the tree instead of off the ground. Of course if you go branch hunting best time is right after a storm. I hope you show us photos of what you make.

Lady
04-24-2015, 01:35 AM
Steve, you truly are!

Jean Pierre, hahaha your so right, how much more interesting is it to touch something that we and or they, are not supposed to.

Charlie, glad to of helped. I too would like to see what you find and use for new perches. If only we could make or pick cages so easily. Now that would be something.

Mare
04-24-2015, 04:47 AM
I use oak with my birds. I live in California and my cockatoos have no problem with the oak and manzanita on our property.