PDA

View Full Version : Lars

jtbirds
04-13-2015, 01:26 AM
So besides Rescue I have hit a stalemate with my personal birds. Most of them are gentle, know a few tricks, socialize well, go out to outreaches. If they are not at this point I work with them everyday to keep/ get them to this point. I have begun wanting to further my trust/training with these guys and start working on flight and maybe even more advanced tricks. I want to do this so when I am out doing a speech I can show that not only baby birds can be taught things like flight commands and tricks that rescues are a great option as well. First thing is first I must let wings grow in completely and work on muscle building..

I haven't started this flight work with any other birds, but Lars yet. Sadly this is the deal so far, Lars is very picky about his cages, the cage he is in now is rather small for my liking, but he really likes it for whatever reason. He gets plenty of time out daily and no matter how many times I've tried to upgrade that cage he hates the transition. He has room to stretch and move and all of that fun stuff I just like enormous cages:x.

I must be honest and say within the years I haven't always worked on his wing strength its just something that wasn't quite needed or wanted in the past as Lars was a slightly troubled dude. Now I have begun working on the strength and want him to learn to fly. I say learn because quite frankly I do not think he has ever flown a day in his life:(. When he does stretch his wings he does not stretch them the whole way out, he begins to flap but not even in the right motion to get it going.

So I have begun slowly extending his wings and moving them kind of like physical therapy. I must watch doing this currently because he has just hit his first stretch of hormones this season.. but back to the point I have begun this "therapy" and I really hope it works with not only Lars, but my other guys as well. I really want him to experience flight and maybe even stay flighted as an example and honestly I want my birds to fly now more then ever. I have almost always let my birds learn to fly and then clipped in the rescue/ personal, but I think I am at the point now I want my personal birds to have flight commands and use them.

I would like some advice on what some of you that let your guys fly often would do with Lars situation. He acts like extending his wings is a workout which I am sure it is if he has never really done it correctly. what do you guys think? I know Lars well enough to know he will work with me on whatever it may be:).

Hope you guys have some input on this, I am aware of the steps to take to flight I am just not an expert on flight and I will admit that, Hand me a biting bird and I will fix that, Hand me a bird that is older then a baby needing to learn flight and I am sure I can fix it once I do it once, so Lars is gonna be my test dummy.

Very often I get birds in that have not been weaned right, taught flight, and ultimately they really don't understand they are a bird. I want to start changing this. Through my years in rescue I have experienced how most rescues work with birds and frankly not a single one works on flight. In fact most agree that you should always have a birds wings clipped no matter what. I agree with clipping and flight, but I want to take my behavioral work with birds to a new level. The further I can take this dream the closer happiness will be:).

Pinkbirdy
04-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Hi , how are you :) I also have 2 of my white Toos Ive tried to change their cage [and their not having it]. They don't want their schedule changed at all :) . I wish I knew something great about freeflight [but I don't]. But Ill share my thoughts with my own flock. Owen My Rb2 came to me flying , Hes great knows where to land and I can call him from another room [and he comes]. I think that he might of picked it up from all the other birds that he was around. The breeder had them all out together. I certainly didn't teach him this. Hes made me realize how great it is for them if they can do it. My house has a good set up with the high ceilings [I had not realized this]. So since him I don't clip my birds anymore. My Hawkhead and Nanday have learned to fly too. So I believe this is one way picking it up from other birds. When I see a flighted bird I think this bird must be so bonded to its owner,Which Im sure Lars is to you. I would start working with him right in the ideal situation you want him in . Put him in a harness take him outside get him to flap , work with him everyday . Blanca had her Blue and Gold out on a super LONG leash . At first she walked around on the ground and got used to it . Then she progressed to flying across the yard to her. Im amazed at what birds can learn if you keep at it . This is what I would try . You know me [forget the clicker and the sunflower seed ].

spiritbird
04-13-2015, 07:00 PM
What about teaching him to hop to your hand with a few wing flaps inbetween?

Otherwise, if he enjoys it, hold him on your hand and "run" through the house, and maybe he'll flap? If he doesn't like this, don't do it.

Mare
04-13-2015, 09:59 PM
I was going to suggest what Terri said about the harness and being outside. I think a huge aviary would work, too..but let's get real here. I've no experience training multiple birds for free flight, Amigo's been it, although..at this point I DO know, it takes a special bond. That bond grows as your birds wings develope and new flights come in, they learn who to turn to when they are frightened or unsure of what to do next. Amigo was never clicker trained or..anything trained as far as that goes, but he does come when I want him near.

Over the past year, I've been thinking of trying this with our Sassy goffins girl. Even though I've always called her a dingbat and would never try such a thing with her, she has a special bond with Tim. To me, this is key.

jtbirds
04-13-2015, 11:05 PM
I have thought about the harness and that is an option further down the line, currently he needs to work on even flapping his wings:)!

spiritbird
04-14-2015, 01:34 AM
Running may stimulate wing flapping.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Margaret gives Casper a daily workout by getting him to stand on her hand, holding it up and then dropping it down and forward whilst she turns around so Casper has to flap his wings to keep his balance. After about six of these Margaret is getting tired and dizzy but Casper is going "come on". I try and do it but I have the rubbish dance/movement/rhythym ability of most men. We know when his toe nails need clipping because they dig in as he tries to hang on.
One of the funniest things I have seen was Margaret running towards the kitchen where some crisis was occurring. Poor Casper was on her shoulder facing the wrong way and was having to 'fly' backwards to stay on board.

PlaxMacaws
04-14-2015, 12:45 PM
Margaret gives Casper a daily workout by getting him to stand on her hand, holding it up and then dropping it down and forward whilst she turns around so Casper has to flap his wings to keep his balance ... We know when his toe nails need clipping because they dig in as he tries to hang on.I dub that the official "Casper check if toenails need to be clipped test" ;)

BTW, I've used a similar technique on Jack as an attempt to stimulate his will to flap/fly again. I perch him on my hand, hold onto his toes, and then run with him while dropping my arm (making sure my hand remains parallel to the floor). Unfortunately, though, poor Jack has not regained interest in using his wings again :(

jtbirds
04-14-2015, 11:06 PM
Tony that is a similar situation with Lars, over the years I have tried and no interest.. hopefully this time I can get him interested and flying!

PlaxMacaws
04-14-2015, 11:17 PM
Tony that is a similar situation with Lars, over the years I have tried and no interest.. hopefully this time I can get him interested and flying!If you discover something that works well for Lars please let me know what it is. I may well try it with Jack.

jtbirds
04-15-2015, 11:02 PM
I would defiantly pass that along! Right now we are doing wing stretches and trying to build some of that core strength needed for flapping/flight!

Mare
04-16-2015, 09:48 PM
Out of curiousity, has your bird ever been spooked,,if so, what does he do? Taking flight would seem natural..

jtbirds
04-16-2015, 10:37 PM
Lars was taught fight over flight honestly and if spooked enough he doesn't fly he flops:/