PDA

View Full Version : Advice for owners of young parrot widdow

Ruud
04-10-2015, 07:35 AM
My first post here, I am looking for advice.

In the second week of January this year, we got our beautiful couple of Rosy-faced lovebirds (called Drogo and Khaleesi). They are amazing, by now they come to me and my wife to cuddle, they like to nap under my chin, I guess my beard is nice to lie against. But this monday, Drogo got a bit sick, he was throwing up. We took him to a vet, he checked him out, nothing wrong as far as he could see. Yesterday evening Drogo got sick again, he had some kind of seizure, we went to a different vet, one that was open at night, he concluded that it was probably something wrong in the brain. We tried antibiotics but later that night, he died in my arms.

Now we are worried what it will do to the girl, we think we should buy another boy, so she has company during the day when we are at work. What would you advice?

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Welcome to the forum, sorry to here about your sad loss. My opinion would be to give it a while to let her grieve and to make sure that she is not similarly affected. It might even be worth getting her checked out by the vet, get her bloods done, etc. People with far more experience than me will be along shortly with more expert advice than I can give.
We love to see pictures - one of Khaleesi cuddled against your beard would be sooo cute.

wingman
04-10-2015, 09:57 AM
Sorry to hear about this little guy passing, so sad....I know one thing I read when I got my Lovebirds was not to use Teflon coated pots or pans ...The teflon coating puts out an invisible fume or gas if you will that is highly toxic to birds when heated...

Ruud
04-10-2015, 10:21 AM
We love to see pictures - one of Khaleesi cuddled against your beard would be sooo cute.

Ruud
04-10-2015, 10:22 AM
Sorry to hear about this little guy passing, so sad....I know one thing I read when I got my Lovebirds was not to use Teflon coated pots or pans ...The teflon coating puts out an invisible fume or gas if you will that is highly toxic to birds when heated...

Correct, we didn't put them close to the kitchen. Also, while cooking, have the kitchen door closed and the ventilation above the stove on. These fumes can be dangerous, so we made sure they weren't close enough for that

wingman
04-10-2015, 10:33 AM
Beautiful little birds

Pinkbirdy
04-10-2015, 10:58 AM
Disinfect everything that the female is on or with . You don't want her to end up sick.

PlaxMacaws
04-10-2015, 04:45 PM
Hello Ruud. It's so sad that your little male has passed. I extend my heartfelt condolences to you.

As Jean-Pierre has suggested, it's probably a good idea for your female to visit an avian veterinarian for a heath assessment, including a CBC panel and other testing the vet deems appropriate. Once she receives a clean bill of health you can think about acquiring a new companion for her. And Pinkbirdy brings up an important point about disinfecting surfaces. On the chance that some lingering pathogen is responsible for your male's illness and passing, everything that was contacted by him should be sterilized. It's an essential precautionary step after an experience such as the one you've been forced to endure.

Again, I'm deeply sorry for your tragic loss :(

Lady
04-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Hi Ruud,
So sorry for your loss. This is surely another sweet little bird that went home to heaven. Altho grief is not something many of us think about it is something all living has to work through and come to accept at their own pace. Your little one will always be alive in your heart.

jtbirds
04-11-2015, 12:41 AM
I am sorry for your loss:(.

I strongly agree with terri and jean-pierre as well! Take all precautions and wait atleast 90 days before getting another bird, as well make sure to quarantine any new arrivals from each other to prevent anything from spreading around, in this time period you should assess both birds for any health issues and have the new one goto the vet to ensure the health of your current bird. Just a thought if you do end up adopting/ getting another bird:).

Cedardave
04-11-2015, 01:30 PM
i am sorry to hear of your loss.

kendrafitz
04-12-2015, 01:01 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. I only have one parrot, so I don't have any advice.

What beautiful birds. Love the Game of Thrones names by the way.

Mare
04-12-2015, 01:49 AM
Hi, Ruud. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss..beautiful birds. I have no advice just wanted to welcome you to the forum.

timtam
04-23-2015, 03:25 PM
well i never had paired lovebirds, but maybe if khaleesi still acts happy and plays around normally she should be fine. But it wouldnt hurt getting another boy. not to be superstitions or anything...but maybe don't name the new boy (assuming you decide to get another one) Drogo...heh.
anyway im sorry for your loss and im sure Khaleesi will be just fine :)

Lady
04-24-2015, 01:47 AM
Hi Tammy,

Welcome to P.P.! Looking forward to you posting an introduction with some information about you and your little lovebird Turqua? I must mention that we also love to see pics of your bird :).