PDA

View Full Version : Picked blood feather

Minamommy
04-05-2015, 03:40 AM
Well last night Mina picked a blood feather on her chest and made it bleed. I got it stopped and sprayed her with aloe Vera spray. Kept checking on her through the night and today it's fine. My question is this. Do I still need to pull it out? I hear this is incredibly painful and am loath to do it. Mina's chest and leg are getting very sparse with feathers. She has lots of toys we play games I got her a huge cage. I'm not sure what else I should be doing for her. Any ideas.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-05-2015, 12:24 PM
I think the received wisdom is that it should be removed as this will stop it from being damaged again and will allow a new feather to grow.

plax
04-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Kim, if the feather tube is in fact filled with blood up to its fracture point (i.e., up to the place where it was previously bleeding), it still poses a risk! The recommended course of action is to remove the feather with forceps, vice-grips, or a pair of tightly grasped pliers. Once you've clamped onto the feather shaft (as far down on its base as possible), use a deliberate and rapid motion to abruptly yank it out. And be absolutely sure that your yank motion follows the direction that the feather shaft is naturally pointing. Immediately after the process, apply direct pressure against the point of extraction and maintain the pressure for several minutes. Any bleeding should stop within a short while. Mina should then be fine. The alternative is to take her to the vet and have it done there.

spiritbird
04-05-2015, 10:58 PM
As Tony says. Good advice.

94lt1
04-06-2015, 03:02 AM
It's helpful sometimes to "burrito" or wrap your bird in a towel.. Difficult to explain.. But im sure you've seen a vet do it. I only suggest this because after you pluck the feather.. The bird will most likely try to get away from you because you've now "hurt it" in its mind. I had to do this for my GCC.. Hers was by her already bald spot... Had to use forceps..

Minamommy
04-07-2015, 02:49 AM
Thank you all very much. She was fine for a few days and then it bled again a little tonight. I had already followed your advice and have an appointment with her vet. Keeping a very watchful eye on it till we get there.