PDA

View Full Version : Daisy & Kobe See the Vet

spiritbird
04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
Took both birds to the vet today. Good news and bad news. Good news is Kobe is healthy with shorter nails.
Bad news is Daisy has something going on. I took her for an exam because her flight feathers have been falling out. Vet says she is definitely chewing them. He thinks it is because of Kobe as the feather loss started about the time Kobe arrived here. Daisy was in respiratory distress and received a bit of 02. Vet says she either has a cardiac, liver or respiratory issue going on Initial approach is antibiotics to see how she responds.
So she is on Baytril daily until gone. I am very distressed about budgie health and will never get another one.

kendrafitz
04-01-2015, 07:32 PM
Glad Kobe is doing well.

I'm so sorry about Daisy. I wonder if it could be both the loss of her best friend and the introduction of Kobe. I hadn't thought about it before, but the poor thing has had a bit of adjustment to go through lately. Poor little girl. Please give her a kiss for me and I hope she feels better soon.

Mare
04-01-2015, 08:49 PM
Good thing you got her to the vet, poor girl :(. I hope she gets back on track, soon. Happy to know Kobe doing well. How do you administer the Baytril? Is it drops in her water or do you have to towel her?

Lady
04-01-2015, 09:05 PM
Oh my Dianne,

I am sorry to hear that Daisy is having an issue. It is understandable that you are stressed and are feeling that you would never get another. They are so little and sweet, but they are all, such a responsibility. I sometimes understand when my Mom would say she never wants another pet. When our little budgie passed my husband who was very close to him, doesn't want another bird. It took a very very long time for him to get through the grief process. We knew less about birds than we do now but it still doesn't make it any easier. I often want to get another bird to have for company for Lady when I am at work but, I still don't think he is ready.
Lady is more my bird than his and a new one would be as well, maybe if we had a dedicated room for them it would seem easier, but for now, I guess I'm not ready either. Maybe when I retire and can be home all the time.

spiritbird
04-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Is Lady a male? I have no problem with another bird, just a budgie. If Daisy goes the way of Chipper I will get another Linnie. Linnies especially do not thrive as a single bird. Thanks for well wishes.

PlaxMacaws
04-01-2015, 11:10 PM
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear about Daisy's multiple health concerns, Dianne. Your budgies have been fairly unlucky as far as health problems it seems :(. I've found that many companion parrots tend to be overly sensitive to flock changes. It has to be especially difficult when they sense a mate has passed on. I'm dreading what may happen here if/when one of mine heads toward the bridge :'(. Emotional issues that ensue from flock disruptions can be enormously stressful for our guys! But perhaps with time, her baytril regimen, and your loving care, Daisy will shake off whatever her malady happens to be and bounce back impressively. My thoughts are with the both of you.

Kobe's clean bill of health is indeed a welcome piece of news at least!

spiritbird
04-02-2015, 03:11 AM
Thanks so much Tony. I will keep Kobe out of Daisys cage. I do hope she stops chewing her flight feathers. Keeps her from flying. I have heard many stories of bird grief leading to death of mate. This is the dark side of bird ownership. Like my digital art I want my birds to be in the sunshine.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-02-2015, 11:58 AM
Get well soon little darling. They are so small and look so fragile how do you give them a hug? Just give her a virtual hug from me.

Lady
04-03-2015, 01:31 AM
Dianne,

Our budgie was a male as far as we knew. We never had Lady tested to see.