PDA

View Full Version : Differences

Mare
05-02-2013, 09:58 PM
I have two cockatoos, one's a male umbrella, the other, a female Goffin's. They both have attitude, they both have no fear, I love them both, equally, they are destructive, loud, at times, and can be territorial. My question is, how are U2's and G2's different from other cockatoos or is there a difference, besides the obvious, size and color?

Pinkbirdy
05-03-2013, 01:58 AM
My lesser sulpher 2 takes on the personality of the bigger2s .Shes very affectionate,demanding a goofball ,trys to be the one in charge of the birdroom.My Rosebreasted was a simple ,quiet ,easybird .Liked affection [but didnt demand it ] . Both 2s however are the only species of my birds. That you can verbally tell them something and will do it.

Mare
05-03-2013, 05:02 AM
Really?! Mine both know the word "no", what it means, anyway. Sometimes they'll actually obey but most times, they wait till I'm not looking!

Pinkbirdy
05-04-2013, 02:26 AM
Like I could say to my girls ,turn on the music so Jennifer could dance. She would already be dancing ,before the music was even on . We say to Belly show us your wings and she puts them right out.:)

Bokkapooh
06-06-2013, 12:47 AM
A cockatoo is a cockatoo is a cockatoo.

But with that said. I have noticed that the smaller cockatoos seem to get nippy if they're abused or not raised right.

jtbirds
06-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Ok well time for my opinions on cockatoos and I will break it down by species of the majority seen.

Rosebreasted cockatoos- very gentle and usually very quiet, have been known to develop a phobia easier then other species and it is usually a more fear based response. Affectionate(this applys to all cockatoos I believe).

Majormitchells cockatoo- these are some different birds, my expirences with them have been odd.. The people I've known that got them from babies they grew up to hate there owners, out of any bird species they must I mean must pick there owners they don't just begin to like you after being worked with. They can be louder but not to bad, make very sweet noises when bonded they are just soo amazing and very mild mannered not as hyper and wound as other cockatoos.

Salmon crested cockatoo- enormous bird with enourmous strength in beak and voice, they are the most gentle and loving when bonded strongly I believe. Very animated and social but can become easy trouble makers because of there very high intelligence level, I know many m2s that can open pad locks with toe nails(not safe but they are so smart nothing is safe for these guys). They have a tendency to be the easiest to get worked up and over stimulated the next in line being umbrellas and goffins IMO, once a m2 is wound you better watch your back or you can and probably will get hurt. But other then that they are so amazing and great! One of the biggest mutilaters you will see as well I attribute this t there love for attention and how smart they are.

Triton cockatoo- very gentle and seemingly more laid back then the other sulphurs. They are usually very intuitive and love to manipulate things(again most cockatoos are). There wild call is honestly one of the worst and they can be very loud.(another most cockatoo thing) They have a tendency to become bonded to mainly one person if not socialized and it is hard to get them to be socialized once bonded.

Mobrella- the only hybrid I have gotten a chance to work with, surprisingly I haven't gotten a chance to mess with other too hybrids:(. Mobrellas are err something that should not have been messed with. They are very very unpredictable and will change in a heartbeat. The ones I have worked with are easily stimulated and wound up quickly. I've also noticed the ones I've worked with to need to have direct eye contact in them at all time or they quickly get out of hand. They are defiantly not a first time too owners bird, combining the two smartest cockatoos and the two most easily wound cockatoos making this guy which can be a very difficult creature.

I'm not going to cover anymore as sulphur created were already covered and goffins and umbrellas you know about already. If you have any other cockatoo to cover I can cover it as well, they are all pretty much have the same downfalls but they can be worked through and they all have there positives to and they much outweigh the negatives:).

JLcribber
06-07-2013, 05:19 AM
They (all cockatoos) are so highly intelligent that they really do have "unique" personalities that can be as different as black and white even amongst the same species.

They're all individuals like us and their history/environment and how they were handled has everything to do with the bird seen present day. JMO of course. :-)

birdlady
06-07-2013, 09:19 AM
My m2 is almost nine. She is simply amazing. She is affectionate yet is also able to entertain herself well. She loves myself and my husband equally. Yes she can be loud and destructive but also quiet and delicate with toys. She requires a lot of time and is almost always out of her cage when we are home

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

jtbirds
06-08-2013, 03:49 PM
John I believe what you said is exactly right!:) a bird is an individual and nothing will make my mind change on that.

I just gave some varying expirences I have that seem to become trends species to species, like I have never really met a m2 that isn't mechanical and so on.

Mare
06-08-2013, 05:42 PM
They are fascinating, complicated birds, for sure. You can almost see the wheels turning inside their heads! Thanks for the feedback!