PDA

View Full Version : Update on Pretty Boy

Lefitte
03-28-2015, 12:50 AM
Hey there! I haven't been on here in a while but I thought I would give an update. As some might remember, I have an 18yo cockatiel pair that have developed some issues with arthritis. My female, Kiki, has only a little bit in a couple of toes that doesn't seem to bother her, they're just a little crooked. Pretty Boy however developed a swollen foot and ankle and had a red, angry spot.

I've made a few changes since my first post on the forums. I'm in the process of switching their food from seed to pellets. They wouldn't touch it without a bunch of regular seed so now they're happily eating about half and half along with their regular treat of daily millet seed. I also got them a rope perch and Pretty Boy was very slow to use it but he's finally started to use it, after weeks. His foot doesn't look swollen anymore and the sore spot looks to be healing up and almost gone. He's standing normal again as well and is back to his regular activity level. We're going to work on finding them some enrichment items. They never have been keen on toys [unless it's Pretty Boy and silver jewelry that he tends to break] so we're trying to see if adding different things every once in a while will get them to investigate and keep busy. Even if it's something simple like a homemade toy or a jingly cat toy on the bottom of the cage, just something different. They take a long time to warm up to things, but if we do it more, then it might just turn out to be a pretty good thing.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] g?oh=a2b8325404e80c9eef374541a9ebfd99&oe=55B732A0

Just wanted to give everyone an update!

Lady
03-28-2015, 01:36 AM
Well hi Sara,
Welcome back and thank you for letting us know how Kiki and Pretty Boy are doing. I'm sure you are quite relieved that his feet are doing much better. A rope perch is a nice change from the wood perches and a variety of sizes of perches is also beneficial.
It is great that they have adapted to eating some pellets. Have you given them any organic raw veggies or fruit at this point as well?
If organic is difficult to purchase, and I know it is more expensive, be sure to wash the veggies and fruit well. Some use a peroxide and or vinegar solution too.
Here's hoping you and your flock will continue to be well and we will get to know you all better!

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-29-2015, 10:46 AM
In Casper's cage we have found that the natural fibre ropes are harder wearing than the coloured cotton ones. We have to watch that he doesn't create any loops that could trap his feet in the cotton one.
The natural ones clean up well with a dose of the pressure washer in the garden.
Casper had a bit of a foot problem when we first got him because I cut him some perches off the wrong type of tree. As soon as I realised there was a problem I stripped all the bark off and sanded them down, gave them a good scrub and dried them off and he has been fine ever since.
Tried putting a willow perch in his cage because they are supposed to enjoy stripping the bark off that themselves. He made a start on it but seems to have forgotten about it. I expect he'll get around to it again when he has finished some of his other 'projects'

PlaxMacaws
03-29-2015, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the update, Sara! I'm happy to hear about your perch and diet modifications, and certainly about Pretty Boy's foot condition improvement :). A few changes can make a world of difference!

Mare
03-29-2015, 03:50 PM
Hi, Sara! Happy to hear things are going along better. Looks like they are loving their new rope perch! I use the cotton ones on my birds, too but like Jean-Pierre mentioned, watch for loose strings. My cockatoo, Amigo, can strip one of these things in a day, if he sets his mind to it :)