PDA

View Full Version : What Birds Can Budgies Be Housed With???

brainyfeathers
03-22-2015, 07:19 PM
Hi Guys!:parrhelo:

I have a almost one year old budgie named Ralph. His friend Jay a 5 year old budgie passed away 4 months ago.:'( I want to get Ralph a new friend to talk and play with. Recently he had been playing with my friends conures last weekend when I went away, and he loved it! :th_biggrin: I understand that a budgie would have a better chance with a budgie and that every bird has their own personality. I was wondering what other types of birds can be compatible with budgies. They would not be in the same cage and they would only be playing together when supervised. I really would really appreciate it if you guys can give me some suggestions and advice. Thank You for reading this :th_wink:

Maddy & Ralph :cparrot:

a.k.a. brainyfeathers

cdog
03-22-2015, 07:25 PM
The best species to have with a budgie would be another budgie or a cockatiel. Cockatiels may be larger but their beaks are around the same size. I highly recommend not getting a conure to play with budgies, conures don't play well with other species. My conures always tried to kill my budgies. However, it always comes down to individual birds, your budgie may not get along with certain individual birds. It's best to stay within the same beak family i.e. other species of grass parakeets or cockatiels, although cockatiels produce dust which could irritate your budgie.

And welcome!:th_biggrin:

PlaxMacaws
03-22-2015, 10:37 PM
I agree with Chis' advice. It may be best to play it safe. But if you do acquire a less-than-fully-compatible species, isolate as necessary and exercise caution. They may or may not get along fairly well... and if it's going to happen, it could take some time.

spiritbird
03-22-2015, 10:58 PM
Best for another budgie like others say. I did have 2 English budgies and the male died. I searched around for another male EB but could not find one. I now have a Linoeated Parakeet as the female's friend. For the most part they get along and seem to enjoy and seek out each others company. The do have squabbles at times. Linnies are peace loving little birds that are so adorable with big personalities. I would never put a GCC with a budgie. Conures are boss birds and usually do not tolerate other species.

jtbirds
03-22-2015, 10:59 PM
I would Suggest if you get another bird besides a budgie you keep them maybe side by side in different cages not housed together. Housing two different species together could end up deadly quickly.

brainyfeathers
03-23-2015, 02:57 AM
Thank You all for responding I love to hear your opinions and if you guys have anything more advice etc I would be happy to hear it! Thank you all so far who have responded so quickly and nicely to my post  Thank you!