PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning cages

wingman
03-20-2015, 06:34 AM
Has any one ever used white distilled vinegar to clean and disinfect cages????

spiritbird
03-20-2015, 12:25 PM
Vinegar is a good cleaner, however it is not a disinfectant. This is what I use [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] and am very pleased with the results. I think we all use different cage cleaners because there are so many on the market.

I searched for a cleaner that would get rid of fungus as one of my birds died from yeast.
This cleaner does that and more.

StitchynMe
03-20-2015, 04:47 PM
L
Vinegar is a good cleaner, however it is not a disinfectant. This is what I use [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] and am very pleased with the results. I think we all use different cage cleaners because there are so many on the market.

I searched for a cleaner that would get rid of fungus as one of my birds died from yeast.

This cleaner does that and more.

This looks like a really good cleaner! I've been looking for something like this. Thanks for this link!

jtbirds
03-20-2015, 10:03 PM
Most people I know use vinegar, and dawn dish soup and then rinse the cages. I personally try to steam clean as I know its clean then.

Mare
03-20-2015, 10:07 PM
I've always used vinegar and water. If I bring a new cage in from somewhere other than my home, I use bleach and water first..then a vinagar and water to rinse.

Lady
03-21-2015, 05:26 PM
I clicked on the link to see what you were speaking about Dianne, then went to the Pet Focus homepage and it seems it is priced a bit cheaper there. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Not sure if you have to have a certain amount to wave any shipping fees but it might be worth looking into??

It sounds great to be able to kill many potential fungus as well. I will be looking into a purchase too, thanks for sharing.

I currently use the grapefruit seed extract as the smell of vinegar is not pleasant to my hubby when I can't open the windows.

spiritbird
03-22-2015, 12:33 AM
That's quite a big difference in price. Thanks for the heads up.

Macaw Lover
03-22-2015, 08:11 PM
When I wash cages I first clean it with Dawn Original Dish soap, rinse and sprayed on F10SC which is a disinfectant.

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

I will use the vinegar on poop droppings and also use that on veggies/fruits after washing that with the Dawn soap, rinse then spray on the vinegar followed by hydrogen peroxide and wait 5 minutes then rinse off again.

Abby
04-01-2015, 11:36 PM
I've been interested in using the F10SC. Where is the best place to purchase this from?

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-02-2015, 11:49 AM
Another vote for F10, we use it diluted in a sprayer bottle, buy the concentrate and dilute some as required. It was originally recommended by our vet after Margaret sprayed something else too close to Casper and he was quite ill. F10 is safe to use near the birds but I think Margaret has learned a lesson.
Here in the UK we buy it mail order from a parrot supplies company but it is also for sale at our vet surgery.
Just checked the bottle and it is manufactured by a South African company.

Abby
04-02-2015, 11:05 PM
Is there a place in the US I can order diluted/premixed F10? I just keep seeing it concentrated.

Lady
04-03-2015, 01:17 AM
This is one of many links I found when doing a search to find out more about it.

Abby
04-03-2015, 02:59 AM
This is one of many links I found when doing a search to find out more about it.

Oh, wow, very interesting! Thanks for the link. I skimmed through it but I'm bookmarking it now.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-03-2015, 09:38 AM
Buy one premixed and one concentrate. That way you can refill the premixed when it is empty by diluting the concentrate which is a much cheaper way of buying. :th_wink:

Abby
04-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Thank you!

King Parrot
10-17-2015, 12:12 PM
I normally use Air Pressure to clean the cage of my birds. It helps me a lot to clean the ****s very easily in few minutes with the help of water. may be it looks some strange but it works awesome. I love it

spiritbird
10-17-2015, 12:32 PM
I had a friend that steam cleaned his bird cage outside. Then he brought it in after drying. However at some point in time later on he found the wheels had rusted because they did not completely dry. How does one go about drying the wheels and all of their parts?

wingman
10-18-2015, 01:49 AM
Dry with a hairdryer!