PDA

View Full Version : Had A Scare With Elfe Today-So Here Is A Warning/Reminder

keepsmiling
05-02-2013, 06:04 PM
I was in the kitchen making everyone's breakfast, when Elfe started squealing. Not a happy squeal, a HELP ME squeal!![Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] I ran down the hallway to my office, and quickly saw she was stuck up at the top of her cage on a pear link. She had her beak up and over the end, which had opened. It was very frightening for a few tense moments. She was squealing a lot and thrashing, trying to get unstuck. I though I was going to have to leave her hanging and go get something to cut it off. Then I just tried to gently pull up just a tiny bit, and she came undone![Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]
Lots of cuddles inside my shirt, and she was fine. No marks or outward signs of any injury. She seems no worse for it. But, this is a stern reminder to us all. Check all toys regularly! Evidently, she climbs up and down the links so much she is undoing them. I found another one undone. These were just finger tight. I assumed she couldn't loosen them. Now I know better, and have taken a pair of pliers and tightened them better so they cannot be loosened. It was very scary!![Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

And the most fascinating part of this, was even my dog who was dead asleep, bolted out into the hallway. Even he understood her distress call. I have learned that all of my birds know each others warnings and distress, and that is fascinating also, to me. But to think even a dog can understand...I find that amazing. He is a good dog that looks out and protects all of our critters, and me too.[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

CrazyBirdLady
05-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I am so glad little Elfe is okay! So scary!

Honesty
05-02-2013, 07:08 PM
That must have been quite frightening for you Carole:( I am glad Elfe is ok though:)

roxynoodle
05-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I was relieved to hear Elfe was ok.

keepsmiling
05-02-2013, 08:33 PM
Thank you Jaime, Wendy, and Audrey.:th_hug8:Wait until you hear what else just happened!:th_scared4:

Peeker
05-02-2013, 08:59 PM
Glad to hear Elfe is ok! Thanks for the reminder! I try to stay on top of checking mine too. I've heard of other birds being injured on them. :(

keepsmiling
05-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Thanks Peeker!

mistywaterwoman
05-03-2013, 02:25 AM
Oh, the heart attacks our babies can give us!!! :th_scared3: I'm glad you got to her so quickly. You're such a good mama! :)

keepsmiling
05-04-2013, 04:17 AM
Thanks Kara! All is well here today.:th_needhug::redface-new:

ConureCrazy
05-04-2013, 06:07 AM
THat must have been so frightening! :( SO glad Elfe is fine though! :)

keepsmiling
05-04-2013, 09:51 AM
Thank you Yasmin.:soap:

Animalman2046
05-05-2013, 12:34 AM
Carole so glad Elfe is ok. Thank God you were home, can you imagine what would have happened if you weren't. It scares me to leave the house with Ziggy and his bad leg as sometimes he gets it caught in a toy or something and he screams too. I am so afraid it will happen one day and I won't be here to help him. Having fids is like having kids all over again. hugs, Ron

keepsmiling
05-05-2013, 12:41 AM
Thanks Ron. You are so right, I think three grey hairs were born that day.:th_LOL:

henpecked
05-05-2013, 01:38 AM
Glad you were there. We had the same thing happen 5-6 yrs ago with a pet OWA. My wife was right there and "saved" the bird, but it could have been ugly. I use a small drop of "thread locker" on those links nowdays.

roxynoodle
05-05-2013, 12:07 PM
The thread locker isn't a bad idea, Richard, although don't use the red one. That is pretty much impossible to break loose again without using a lot of heat. Blue would be better so you can get it open again later. That or you will need to cut the links whenever you want to move/remove the toy.