PDA

View Full Version : Getting them to take their medicine

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-17-2015, 10:35 AM
I thought it might be useful if we had a thread about suggestions for getting your bird to take their medication.
Casper has been given some syrupy stuff which is an anti-inflamitory. We didn't like the idea of trying to force it down his gullet with the syringe as that would be traumatic for him. So we were looking for ideas like putting it on a nutriberry or something. The trouble with that is that most of the nutriberry ends up on the cage floor so you can't tell how much of their meds they have actually had.
Then Margeret remembered that Casper loves to eat porridge off a tea-spoon. She holds the spoon whilst he wolfs down the spoonful and then he takes the teaspoon, licks it clean whilst holding it himself and then he throws it as far as he can. All good fun.
Today she mixed his meds with the porridge and the whole lot is in his tummy. Success.
The upside of this is that I get porridge for breakfast for a week. :th_smile:

spiritbird
03-17-2015, 12:44 PM
Any way you can administer medications to birds that works is a good one. Its never an easy road to medicate a bird.

plax
03-17-2015, 03:06 PM
When Zaf was in healing mode after breaking his leg, I got him to take his Metacam by smearing it on a piece of toast and spreading some peanut butter over it. He loves peanut butter toast!

kendrafitz
03-17-2015, 05:08 PM
Rosie was still young when we had to give her medication. She was very happy to take it by syringe. :) I think it reminded her of me syringe feeding her her formula.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-23-2015, 09:26 PM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Casper has been taking his meds in a spoonful of oatmeal all week. The course of medication is now over and I foresee trouble tomorrow when he doesn't get his spoonful of porridge.

Lady
03-23-2015, 11:17 PM
Oh my goodness, how adorable!!!! I don't know why you wouldn't give him a spoonful all the time just to see him eat it from the spoon :D!

plax
03-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Casper has been taking his meds in a spoonful of oatmeal all week. The course of medication is now over and I foresee trouble tomorrow when he doesn't get his spoonful of porridge.Simple solution: give him his spoonful of porridge minus the medication :D

Cute photo, btw!

spiritbird
03-24-2015, 10:06 PM
Photo is priceless. Needs some sort of caption. He went out of his way on the cute scale. I have never seen a bird holding on to a spoon.

plax
03-24-2015, 11:29 PM
Photo is priceless. Needs some sort of caption.How about this one?

cdog
03-24-2015, 11:32 PM
When Sully was on his heart meds, I just squeezed a blackberry(his favorite) onto a spoon, then mixed the med syrup with the blackberry juice. He slurred it down no problem.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Tony that made me laugh out loud. Casper now has a fit of the giggles.
Casper thinks chopsticks are great fun too, he loves playing with the other end whilst we are trying to eat.:th_smile:

I've put the caption picture up on my flickr so that Casper's other fans can have a laugh as well.

plax
03-25-2015, 12:20 PM
Tony that made me laugh out loud. Casper now has a fit of the giggles.
Casper thinks chopsticks are great fun too, he loves playing with the other end whilst we are trying to eat.:th_smile:

I've put the caption picture up on my flickr so that Casper's other fans can have a laugh as well.I'm glad you like it. I've also put it on PP's FB page :)