PDA

View Full Version : Being gentle

jtbirds
03-17-2015, 12:13 AM
Lately I have spent a lot of time working On my blue throated macaw Lars becoming more and more gentle to the touch and feel. Blue throats have a horrible rep of being snappy and or rough. I don't like stereotypes and I plan to do a ton more trick training with Lars in the future.He knows a few, but nothing major just yet. Day by day this week he has gotten so gentle though!:)2733

Lady
03-17-2015, 12:28 AM
That's wonderful news, he's a real cutie and looks like he is enjoying the attention.

How are you getting him to understand what gentle means? I tell Lady "nice" and if she is nice I give her extra scratches if she is letting me touch her or extra treats if I am working on getting her to step up. Is there a particular way you are doing it? I just want to make sure she is understanding what I want from her. Of course if she gets rough, I stop everything and move away from her. Thanks for any suggestions.

kendrafitz
03-17-2015, 12:29 AM
So sweet! Lars looks gentle and happy.

I had not heard of blue throats being rough. Rosie had a blue throat as a neighbor that was being boarded at the store when she was a baby. That bird was the sweetest bird I ever met. I fell in love, so much that they are my dream bird. I know they are super mechanical so cages can be dismantled. Such smarty pants! :)

I will be eagerly waiting for updates on Lars.

jtbirds
03-17-2015, 12:55 AM
Lady lars at the end of training sessions gets a treat, Other then that the treat is interaction I don't prefer getting them to respond with treats for training as then I feel they just become robots for food. sometimes mid training he will ask for a kiss in which I return and he really appreciates that! slow steady steps is all i can really say be consistent you know don't try to teach to much at once just do one step at a time and work towards bigger things. Any more specific questions I can try to answer?

Kendra- Lars was my dream bird and when I got him he was a ton of work. Very mechanical, very snappy, and still is to this day very emotional. If you happen to yell at him or leave him for a few days( if i went on a trip) he gets very upset. so smart, affectionate, and so human like. I would die for that bird any day.

spiritbird
03-17-2015, 02:13 AM
He is lucky to have you and you him. Do you have any videos for us?

jtbirds
03-17-2015, 02:29 AM
I might be able to shoot a video sometime:).

Pinkbirdy
03-17-2015, 10:56 AM
Do Blue Throats say words ?

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-17-2015, 12:51 PM
Its a wonderful moment when they realise that being gentle with you gives them so many benefits.

plax
03-17-2015, 03:21 PM
Thanks for sharing, Justin :)

kendrafitz
03-17-2015, 05:10 PM
Terri - the one that was next to Rosie did. In the sweetest voice I have ever heard. <3

Lady
03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Thanks Jt, not anymore questions for the moment. I am appreciative of you taking the time to tell me about how you do things. I have had Lady for sometime but progress is slow as we don't get much time until Spring and Summer when there is more light available.

jtbirds
03-18-2015, 12:05 AM
Terri- Lars doesn't say to much but they can.

Lady- I am very different my birds stay up past the sun for whatever reason I have chosen, guess its all personal preference:).

Lady
03-18-2015, 12:49 AM
Your right Jt, everyone has their own way of doing things and of course our birds have their own way of reacting. None the less the more I learn the more I can refer back to things that someone has told me and hopefully can take a little something from it to make Lady a well rounded and happy girl.

jtbirds
03-18-2015, 01:51 AM
I am sure she is already way happier than you may know:). you do a lot for her she will respond once she thinks you've done enough haha. Aren't most ladies like that:), well deserved ones that may be