PDA

View Full Version : Goes ouch when he stretches.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-15-2015, 07:38 PM
Its off to the vet tomorrow for Casper because he is in pain when he stretches his right side wing and leg. He is still very mobile and doesn't complain when flying or when he climbs around his cage. Hopefully it is just a pulled muscle and will get an asprin and a sweetie.

PlaxMacaws
03-15-2015, 08:10 PM
I can't decide whether your comments are intended seriously or in jest. But for now I'll have to guess the latter. If you happen to be serious, though, I must ask what makes you believe that when Casper exclaims "ouch" it isn't just something he enjoys saying in an effort to use the word appropriately with an action or movement that he's making (as opposed to a genuine expression of pain)? Most of the time when a parrot uses a human word to express pain it's not because they're actually feeling any pain. Salsa yells OWW! OWWW!! O[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]!!! all the time. And in his case, he does so because he likes to hear himself say OWWW! ;)

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-15-2015, 08:25 PM
He doesn't actually say ouch, more of a growl. I was translating for him. He is definitely not comfortable when he does it.
He does do a very good imitation of a human cough when he is attention seeking but usually gets told to "have another cigarette"

PlaxMacaws
03-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Ah, well then a vet visit may be in order. Let us know what the vet thinks.

kendrafitz
03-15-2015, 09:52 PM
Oh no! Hopefully it is just a pulled muscle. Please let us know when you get home tomorrow. Poor Casper.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-15-2015, 10:39 PM
This is not a picture of Casper but this is what he is doing when it hurts him
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Lady
03-16-2015, 01:14 AM
Aww, I too will be looking to see what the vet has found. Hope it isn't serious.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-16-2015, 11:32 AM
News update: Casper is at the vets and they are going to do a full body X-ray to check for arthritis and any injuries. We will go and pick him up in about four hours hopefully.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-16-2015, 03:19 PM
Yay - good news. No fractures or breaks and no arthritis. So its just a soft tissue injury as we had suspected. But its nice to be sure. He is a bit groggy at the moment so we will go and fetch him in a while. He may only be a little bird but the house seems strangely empty without him.

kendrafitz
03-16-2015, 07:33 PM
Oh good! I am so happy that all is going to be well!

Crazy how such a small being can be such a HUGE presence, isn't it?

Lady
03-16-2015, 11:45 PM
Great news~ So happy he is well, as I know you both are too :). Yes they are little but their presence is BIG :th_heart:.

PlaxMacaws
03-17-2015, 02:01 PM
Glad to hear Casper's okay :D

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-17-2015, 07:28 PM
Thanks for all your kind words everyone. He tends to do his yoga (stretching exercises) in the evening so it will be interesting to see whether the anti-inflamatory has made any difference already.
Yep he has just had a stretch with no yelps of pain. And... for two or three weeks he has had only four red flight feathers on one wing and five on the other, well the fifth flight feather (easier to write than say) is now half grown. What about those butt feathers Casper?

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-18-2015, 10:08 AM
Casper is full of the joys of spring today. Exercising his lungs at full volume. Pain relief is obviously working well. That and his favourite Shania CD is playing.

Lady
03-18-2015, 03:52 PM
Spring, humm, can hardly wait for it to come around here. They are predicting a little snow this friday, hope it is the last of it for the season.

Glad to hear he is feeling much better. Do you have to go for a follow up once the meds are finished?

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-18-2015, 04:14 PM
The vet said for us to phone them after a week of meds to let them know how he is doing. Hopefully he will be signed off over the phone.