PDA

View Full Version : So very new!

Malissa
03-14-2015, 10:39 PM
Hello, everyone! My name is Malissa. I'm new to birds and new to this forum. I have a three year old budgie named Buddy and a one year old parrotlet named Petrow. I've had Buddy for about six months. Petrow just joined us today. Both are beautiful, entertaining birds. I had no idea how much personality could be packed into such tiny bodies!

For the most part, we're all doing just fine. Although, I do have a concern about Buddy because he flat out refuses to leave his cage. I can leave the door open for hours and he'll stay inside, playing with his toys, singing, hopping around. He just genuinely seems happier inside. Once I finally wrestle him out, though, he seems okay to perch on his playset and sing and preen a while.

Petrow has only been mine a few hours, so I don't really know him yet. I just love watching him hang upside down like he thinks he's a bat. And he makes the cutest little peeping, squeaky noises. :)

I am mostly just looking for a place to talk and learn about birds. :)

(I hope the pictures work okay. I haven't posted any before.)

Lady
03-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Hi Malissa,

:th_welcome2:to PP. Your pics are great! It is so nice that you have joined us.

I too have a bird who likes to hang out in her cage. I am always looking for ways to entice her to come out and join me. It's okay that she hangs out there but, I want her to learn that when she comes out there is more fun and interesting things to do. It is also much more fun to bond with her when she spends time out. Have you looked into target training and clicker training? Those are two methods I think work very well. Buddy may even learn quicker than my Lady but we're always working on it.

:congrats5:on your new parrotlet Petrow! Both your birds are very pretty. Hope you will post often and learn many things here as we have many wonderful experienced members.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-14-2015, 11:09 PM
Welcome Malissa and your cute friends Buddy and Petrow.
Is Petrow a rescue bird? I'm sure he will settle in quickly.
I'm going to show my ignorance here, what is the difference between a parrotlet and a budgie?

PlaxMacaws
03-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Hello Malissa, and welcome! Your photos are great and your birds are pretty and cute :)

As far as Buddy, some birds simply feel the most secure in their cages. They can often be helped to overcome insecurities about leaving and/or spending time out of their cages, but for some birds it can be rather difficult to attain that end. Or maybe you've just fixed up Buddy's cage so nicely that he figures: "why would I want to leave this awesome condo? ...everything that a budgie could ask for is here and I even get room service!" ;)

Thanks for joining us :D

spiritbird
03-15-2015, 12:53 AM
Welcome. Your birds are lovely. What foods do they like?

kendrafitz
03-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Hi and welcome!! Such gorgeous birds!

jtbirds
03-16-2015, 12:17 AM
hello and welcome to the forums! Looks like you have two blue beauties!

Malissa
03-20-2015, 01:26 AM
Whoops. So sorry for the delay. Overtime at work has been sapping all my time and brain power. When I get home, I just have time to take care of my boys and fall asleep, haha. Hopefully, things are slowing down a bit now. Thank you all for the warm welcome!!

Lady: Thank you for the welcome! I have just started reading about target and clicker training. I'm not confident yet that I really understand the method, but I'm going to look into it. I'd really like to get them more socialized. They're beautiful in their cages, but I'd love for them to come out into the world more.

Casper: Petrow is, I guess, you could call a rescue bird. I found him through an ad on Craig's List. His former owner went to college and left him and another, younger bird with her mother. I guess the baby socialized more easily than he did, so she kept the little one. As far as differences go, as I understand it the biggest differece is geography. Budgies are Australian natives and Pattorlets are South American. Budgies also have long tail feathers and Parrotles have short, stubby tails. Petrow kind of looks like a duck from behind, sometimes. :D

Plax: Thank you! Buddy's cage really is kind of sweet. lol It's big enough for a handful of budgies and he has it all to himself with all the jingly, colorful toys he can stand. I hate to push him too much if he's really happy inside.

Spiritbird: Buddy came to me a seed addict and I'm having a heck of a time getting him to branch out to anything else. Petrow will eat seeds and pellets. I'm working on both of them to get them to try fresh fruits and veggies.

Kendrafitz: Thank you so much! I am wrapped around their little claws. :)

Jtbirds: Thank you. I didn't intend to go all blue, but it seems like the blue birds just come to me! :D

spiritbird
03-20-2015, 12:31 PM
Its no easy task to get a seed eater to also eat other food. My best suggestion is to have both birds together at feeding time and there is a bit of competition between them for the food. Usually they will both dive into what ever is served. If you do not house the two together than think about another budgie pal.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-20-2015, 01:08 PM
When we first got Harrisons pellets for Casper (on the advice of the vet) and I poured some into his bowl I thought he would never eat them because the little brown cubes looked so boring. They must smell good to parrots though because he took to them like a duck to water. We give him Harrisons in the evening and pasta in the morning and he gets an all day buffet of fresh fruit (and veggies which he ignores).