PDA

View Full Version : Flight feather loss

spiritbird
03-13-2015, 11:55 PM
Daisy has lost all but one flight feather on her right side. This can't be a normal molt because it leaves her with no flight skills. She tried today and crashed on the kitchen counter. I have no idea what is going on.

jtbirds
03-14-2015, 02:39 AM
are you sure she isnt plucking or Kobe is pulling them? have you found them by any chance? have they been here and there or just in one big pile?

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-14-2015, 09:46 AM
Poor Daisy, hopefully she is just doing it to worry you but it does seem strange. Casper shed all the feathers from just above his beak once which had us rattled as he had a big bald spot. They did grow back quite quickly.
Do birds need extra calcium when regenerating feathers? Like human bones? Casper has been busy with his cuttlefish of late so I am wondering if there is any corelation.
Get well soon.

spiritbird
03-14-2015, 01:14 PM
I have found them here and there. Yesterday one was in the cage and I left home early so the birds were never together. That rules out Kobe doing anything to her. Each feather that has been lost was hanging at a weird angle before the loss. I do not think she is doing this but who knows I do not have my eye on her all day.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-14-2015, 03:57 PM
Hanging at an angle feathers, if she is as careless as Casper, are caused by falling or bashing. I sounds like she may have damaged them in an accident and then pulled them out as they began to annoy her.
It doesn't sound like a medical condition to me as it is just one side but I am no expert, just using logic.

spiritbird
03-15-2015, 12:50 AM
I think you are right. A few months ago she had a tiff with Kobe and flight feathers were broken. I did see two tiny ones growing in so no worry I guess.

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-15-2015, 02:27 AM
And good news, Casper now has five tail feathers.

Minamommy
03-15-2015, 06:27 AM
Yay Casper!! Spiritbird Mina is plucking her leg all of the sudden and then started with her chest[emoji30]. I must be a hormonal thing. Maybe Daisy is feeling spring. I'm going with the featheriffic and aloe spray and that seems to have helped tons.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spiritbird
03-31-2015, 10:29 PM
Wanted to update this thread. Daisy is still loosing flight feathers. I picked one up today that was on cage bottom. It appears to be the lower part of the feather, away from her body. I am taking the feather to the vet tomorrow as both birds have a wellness check and grooming. (not wings) Will show feather to vet. Here is a photo of it. Do you think it looks chewed?

Casper's 2nd best friend
03-31-2015, 10:50 PM
Casper sometimes chews his flight feathers after they have come out. Then he get bored and drops them. That feather does look to be missing part of its stem which may still be in position and might need plucking. The vet will know.
Margaret once rushed Casper to the vet because she thought he had broken a bone and it was sticking out. She was rather embarrassed when the vet just plucked out a feather stump and gave it to her. Don't tell her I told you. :th_wink:

Mare
03-31-2015, 11:54 PM
That does look like a snipped feather, Dianne. Jean-Pierre could be right, though, Daisy may have chewed it after it fell out, my birds have been known to do that. Let us know what the vet says :)

spiritbird
04-01-2015, 12:06 AM
She has so many feathers falling but I never see her chewing any.

Mare
04-01-2015, 12:48 AM
It sounds like a heavy molt, to me. Chip did that about a year and a half ago, feathers everywhere! When he grew back, he was more beautiful than ever!

Lady
04-01-2015, 02:06 AM
Let's hope it is just a molt, no need to worry till you get the doctors opinion.

spiritbird
04-01-2015, 12:29 PM
Vet visit today. I can tell you it is not a molt because the feathers are all coming off one side and not the other. Will let you know what vet thinks is happening or not happening.

Lady
04-01-2015, 12:31 PM
I will be waiting to hear, best wishes to you!

spiritbird
04-04-2015, 10:14 PM
Now her chewing has blown into plucking. She is plucking her feather higher up around the shoulder area, mostly the darker ones but I am also finding lots of blue ones on the cage floor. I am totally distressed because this is all my fault. Vet and I both think it is the stress of Kobe being here because the feather loss began about the time he arrived. I really do not think she is as sick as the vet did. She is never short of breath at home like she was in his office. Been looking into getting a collar for her but that is like a band aid not a solution. If you look closely at the photo you can see how she is gradually removing feather from the shoulder area and the flight feathers are mostly gone. Both sides pretty much look the same. Please offer any suggestion you can think of. Anyone have first hand experience with birds and collars?

spiritbird
04-04-2015, 10:18 PM
Rt. side photo not as clear. 2803

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-05-2015, 09:43 AM
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]*

We haven't needed anything like this for Casper and I am unsure about homeopathy but I am impressed by the before and after drawings.
Has anyone tried it?

*other products to discourage plucking are available like:

Versele-Laga No Pick - 100ml - Deters Chewing by Birds
Price Match
Bitter tasting liquid that you can spray on to the bird's feathers

That one is much cheaper which may or may not be a good thing.

spiritbird
04-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Thank you Jean-Pierre for your ideas. I have ordered two different styles of collars. Someone on that other forum wrote their budgie will chew flight feathers off when she is hormonal which Daisy is right now. My goal is to keep her safe when she tries to fly. She can fly a couple of feet and then goes to ground. Time will tell what is going on with her.

PlaxMacaws
04-05-2015, 04:09 PM
Dianne: My B&G, Jack, has been plucking his feathers on his upper wings, as well as under his wings, ever since Maynard (my MM) rejected him when I brought Zaf home in 2005. He doesn't pluck as badly these days... but he still does so on occasion. When he extends his wings I can see light passing through the plucked areas.

Habitual plucking in response to devastation can be a very difficult thing to get beyond. But this doesn't mean it's not possible to overcome in some cases. Each bird's situation is different... just as each bird is different. My suggestion for you is to continue with your research and to keep trying different things.

I'm sorry that you and Daisy are faced with this disturbing condition :(

spiritbird
04-05-2015, 10:56 PM
Daisy has never been a bird that likes toys or other chew items. About the only thing she loves to chew on besides her feathers is the edge of a wooden platform perch. Today I was watching her carefully for any indications of plucking behavior. Also watching for any feather fall. I kept her distracted by taking her out of the cage, feeding millet and letting her interact with Kobe. Its evening now and I think she has not plucked all day. I am going to add milk thistle to her drinking water just in case this is itching from liver issues.

spiritbird
04-14-2015, 01:27 PM
I would say the course of Baytril the vet put Daisy on has been effective. She no longer is chewing her flight feathers or pulling out upper wing feathers. To me that means it was either hormonal or infective process.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Good girl Daisy - she obviously decided the punk look didn't suit her. Casper's tail feather situation is still dynamic. New ones are growing but shed one at the weekend which i think was moulted and has another one that needs to come out because it is loose which could have been the result of a crash landing. It hurts him when he shakes his tail or knocks it against anything, so I am not sure whether we should pluck it out (which I have never done so am reluctant to try) or leave it for him to sort out. What do you think?

plax
04-14-2015, 05:23 PM
Casper's tail feather situation is still dynamic. New ones are growing but shed one at the weekend which i think was moulted and has another one that needs to come out because it is loose which could have been the result of a crash landing. It hurts him when he shakes his tail or knocks it against anything, so I am not sure whether we should pluck it out (which I have never done so am reluctant to try) or leave it for him to sort out. What do you think?I would opt for leaving it alone. If it's loose it should either fall out on its own or be helped out by Casper, himself. Loosened non blood feathers generally pose little to no danger. That's unless your bird is afraid of them like Zaffer :th_shakehead:

I would say the course of Baytril the vet put Daisy on has been effective. She no longer is chewing her flight feathers or pulling out upper wing feathers. To me that means it was either hormonal or infective process.Great to hear, Dianne :D

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-14-2015, 05:55 PM
Thanks Tony, he's a bit grumpy and sorry for himself but hasn't made any attempt to address the situation.

spiritbird
04-14-2015, 08:42 PM
It must not bother him then. I would leave it also. It will eventually fall out

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-14-2015, 10:15 PM
It is bothering him because he 'growls' whenever it touches against anything. Perhaps he doesn't want to fiddle with it because it is hurting and is waiting for it to come out on its own. In the mean time Margaret is wearing her warning T-shirt
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] ([Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks])
[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Lady
04-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Glad Daisy is coming along. As for Casper, maybe it's tender from the crash landing, poor baby~

spiritbird
04-15-2015, 01:31 AM
Nice shirt. You can cut the tail feather shorter if he lets you. May bother him less.

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-15-2015, 08:36 AM
I did wonder about doing that, as that would stop it from knocking against things. I don't think it will hinder him if he does want to pull it out because he can't reach the far end very well anyway. If it hasn't moulted by itself today I will do that this evening when he is quieter.

spiritbird
04-15-2015, 12:05 PM
Your a good bird person.

plax
04-15-2015, 12:30 PM
I did wonder about doing that, as that would stop it from knocking against things. I don't think it will hinder him if he does want to pull it out because he can't reach the far end very well anyway. If it hasn't moulted by itself today I will do that this evening when he is quieter.Keep in mind that if you shorten the feather it may not fall out as quickly. That's because there will then be less mass swinging/brushing about to work at dislodging its base.

BTW, that's a very funny shirt. I love the parrot's expression :)

Casper's 2nd best friend
04-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Thanks Dianne, I just do what seems like common sense. Anyway, the problem resolved itself later this morning when the feather was found on the floor of the cage. Not a full sized tail feather and not sure if it has some stress bars or whether it is just damaged. I'll post a pic of it later.
Tony its a great shirt design called DYH Amazon Molting from a California company called Zazzle. The shirts themselves are not the best quality though reasonably priced.

plax
04-15-2015, 07:54 PM
Tony its a great shirt design called DYH Amazon Molting from a California company called Zazzle. The shirts themselves are not the best quality though reasonably priced.Yes, I'm familiar with Zazzle. I even have an old account from there. I've created some designs with their system before. I'll have to check back there sometime soon.

spiritbird
04-24-2015, 02:06 AM
well Daisy is back at chewing off wing feathers. I have come to the conclusion she is not happy here with me. The memories of Chipper may be too much for her. I think a change of environment may snap her out of her gloom. My friend Ron who is a member here has offered to take her. Will see what happens with this. I do know the Linnies are a species that cannot live without a friend so if Daisy moves I will have to get another bird for Kobe.

kendrafitz
04-24-2015, 06:10 PM
Oh no Dianne. I'm so sorry. You are such a good mom to put her first. You never know, she may end up coming out of it before you do anything. I know how hard this must be for you.

spiritbird
04-24-2015, 06:45 PM
Daisy will be happy with Ron I am sure, otherwise I would not do this. I want a stable bird population in my home for sure. No more sick birds I hope.

Now you all can help me think of a name for Kobe's new bride. She is a turquoise female 3 months old. The breeder is taming her before she will be picked up on PA which I think is really nice. Here is her photo:

kendrafitz
04-24-2015, 07:13 PM
I'm so happy that things will work out for Daisy.

I'm also thrilled for you and Kobe. She is beautiful!

Lady
04-25-2015, 11:34 PM
Oh this has to be a most difficult task, seems you have weighed all your options and have come up with solutions for everyone's best interest.
Kobe's new bride is very cute. I'm thinking, Phoebe, or Ella.

CharlieMyLovebird
01-14-2023, 05:37 PM
Quick reply and off topic. I noticed you have those awesome cockatoos! How are those birds?

nolanolson
06-28-2023, 03:32 PM
Good girl Daisy - she obviously decided the punk look didn't suit her. Casper's tail feather situation is still dynamic. New ones are growing but shed one at the weekend which i think was moulted and has another one that needs to come out because it is loose which could have been the result of a crash landing. It hurts him when he shakes his tail or knocks it against anything, so I am not sure whether we should pluck it out (which I have never done so am reluctant to try) or leave it for him to sort out. What do you think?

If Casper's tail feather is loose and causing him discomfort, it may be best to have it removed to prevent further irritation or injury. However, it's important to have this done by a qualified avian veterinarian, as feather removal can be a delicate and potentially painful procedure if not done correctly.

Dragonlady2
06-29-2023, 12:47 PM
Just an fyi. This is a old thread. Casper has passed away and his owner is no longer on forum.