PDA

View Full Version : This is sad for me...

PlaxMacaws
03-06-2015, 08:29 PM
I've said a number of times that Zaffer has fully recovered from breaking his right leg in September of 2013. Well, it's been a year and a half since his accident. Yes, his leg healed quite well and he doesn't limp at all - which I'm so thankful for! He actually has full functionality of his right leg and foot and he does all of the things he used to do. He plays, hangs, runs, wrestles, bounces, dances, juggles, grasps, and holds food and other objects normally. But there's one thing that my sweet Zaf mysteriously lost :'(. He's virtually no longer a talking parrot. Mind you, it's not terribly important to me that any of my birds speak in human English. While it's cute and humorous in many cases when birds talk, it's certainly not a requirement for me in any way. I love each of my guys regardless of their respective talking potential (or lack thereof).

The thing about Zaf, though, is that he was obviously impacted severely by the trauma from his injury, and I think especially by the trauma associated with the veterinary treatments he received. He was quite literally terrified by all of that and I think one of the results has been an absence of any desire to speak human words as he used to do :(. Prior to his accident, Zaf would engage in talking sessions regularly... his vocalizations of human speech were exceptionally clear. While he was always shy about his talking skills -hence my limited number of video clips within which he is speaking- when he felt relaxed with no camera device pointing toward him (or other pressures) he used to really get down to business with his meager repertoire! He would frequently recite a number of words and phrases, and he usually did so quite distinctly. Below are a few of the things he would say:

Hello.
I love you.
Pretty bird.
how are you?
come 'ere.
step up.

Since Zaf's accident, I've mentioned to folks a time or two that he talks (inferring this to be the present case). Well, part of my claim in this regard has been wishful/hopeful thinking that his talking skills would return at some point... and he does still kind of talk... but it's a far cry from his previous talking inclinations. He still whispers "hi" to me when the lights are low and he does so just as clearly as he ever did - I'm happy about that! :). And once in a great while he'll still say "hello"... but whenever he does it's quite slurred, often to the point that it's difficult to distinguish it's even "hello" he's trying to say. But that's the extent of Zaf's talking now. The accident and its aftermath somehow caused my poor, sweet guy to become mostly a non-talker :(. This goes to show that serious injuries and major medical procedures can sometimes be extremely traumatic for our feathered family members and that such experiences may result in lasting impact!

Here's one of the few videos in which I captured Zaf speaking as he used to do. He's merely saying "hello" in this clip... but since his accident, he has not once said "hello" as distinctly and distinguishable as he does here. And I'm fairly convinced he never will :'(

[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

Cedardave
03-06-2015, 09:29 PM
I'm sorry this makes you sad.We have had the experience of a couple of our biggest talkers go quiet for a time.Keep in mind they never forget the words they have spoken, and there's a better than likely chance when the mood hits he will be chatting up a storm and take you by surprise.Even if he didn't ...health and happiness come first right!

PlaxMacaws
03-06-2015, 09:43 PM
I'm sorry this makes you sad.We have had the experience of a couple of our biggest talkers go quiet for a time.Keep in mind they never forget the words they have spoken, and there's a better than likely chance when the mood hits he will be chatting up a storm and take you by surprise.Even if he didn't ...health and happiness come first right!I can't disagree with you, Dave. He certainly may surprise me when I'm least expecting it. I hope it happens. But in any case I remain convinced that his current talking state has stemmed from his broken leg ordeal. It was horribly devastating for him... as well as for me :(

kendrafitz
03-06-2015, 11:19 PM
Tony - I am sorry that poor Zaf has had such a rough time.

I am wondering if there is possibly a reason in addition to trauma? I know he has always been your best buddy. But from what you have written, it sounds as if you have become even more bonded since the accident. With nurturing him back to health and all.

So I am wondering if part of the reason he isn't chatting is because he just doesn't need to? In other words, he doesn't have to talk to get your attention. He may be so content that he is happy just the way things are.

I know my son didn't talk until he was two. When he finally spoke, it was in full sentences. The reason was simply that he didn't need to. We understood what he wanted/needed without him using words. Since he was happy, why bother? This happens with quite a few kids. I can't imagine why it would be different for a macaw. Even though trauma may have started the lack of talking, it may be sticking because he is content.

I agree with Dave. He hasn't forgotten his words. When the mood strikes, he may chat away and shock you. But for now, it may just be he is happy and Daddy dotes on his needs. So why talk, life is good just the way it is. 😊

PlaxMacaws
03-06-2015, 11:46 PM
That could certainly be a factor, Kendra. But the two things that suggest contentment may not be all there is to the situation are as follows: 1) I had been an extremely doting caregiver and friend to Zaf prior to his accident. And 2) some parrots don't talk exclusively for attention... some of them talk as an integral component of their self-expression. But I admit that I showed a great deal of sympathy for poor Zaf throughout his ordeal. It's hard to know exactly what's going on with Zaf as far as his diminished talking efforts, but your idea makes sense and I bet it's at least part of the issue.

Thanks for your thoughts :)

kendrafitz
03-06-2015, 11:52 PM
Sure. Just figured I would point out it may actually be a positive thing. :)

spiritbird
03-07-2015, 02:11 AM
Zaf is an outstanding bird any way you look at him. My TAG stopped talking when she reached 3 years of age. It could be he was ready to stop. Please don't be sad. Zaf is doing just fine.

PlaxMacaws
03-07-2015, 02:47 AM
Zaf is an outstanding bird any way you look at him. My TAG stopped talking when she reached 3 years of age. It could be he was ready to stop. Please don't be sad. Zaf is doing just fine.Dianne, I agree that Zaf is a very special and remarkable bird. The reason I'm sad is because his broken leg ordeal was excruciatingly agonizing for him and it marked the point when he stopped talking. It makes me suspicious concerning the potential that he may have sustained significant emotional damage from the experience. If that's the case it's a very tragic thing :(. I personally don't care whether he talks or not. I simply want to know that he's emotionally content.

Mare
03-07-2015, 03:16 AM
Aww.. I'm sorry it's bumming you out Tony :(. I remember Zaf and Amigo were both dealing with health issues around the same time, totally different issues but still a rough road for not only them but you and me. I think that when you go through something like that with your animal, it makes you that much more sensitive towards them. Try not to be too upset, Zaf will feel that..after all, they are the MOST sensitive.

I'm going to think positive. Zaf may surprise you one day, when he's ready :)

PlaxMacaws
03-07-2015, 03:47 AM
Aww.. I'm sorry it's bumming you out Tony :(. I remember Zaf and Amigo were both dealing with health issues around the same time, totally different issues but still a rough road for not only them but you and me.Yes, I remember it well, Mare. It was quite a difficult time for each of us :(

I think that when you go through something like that with your animal, it makes you that much more sensitive towards them. Try not to be too upset, Zaf will feel that..after all, they are the MOST sensitive.

I'm going to think positive. Zaf may surprise you one day, when he's ready :)He may, or he may not. Either way I love my fluffy blue buddy dearly! Zaf and I have wonderful times together every day :). I just worry about him because I adore him so much. He's an incredibly sensitive bird so his responses to stress can be extreme :(

Thanks for your perspective :)

Lady
03-07-2015, 03:53 AM
Oh, I feel for you Tony. I imagine how difficult it must of been. Is it even possible to find out if he is emotionally content....?

Well to almost answer my own question I did a search and found there is a site called International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] They even have a Bird Division. Just thought you might want to take a look.

PlaxMacaws
03-07-2015, 04:52 AM
Oh, I feel for you Tony. I imagine how difficult it must of been. Is it even possible to find out if he is emotionally content....?Well, he definitely seems content on visible levels. He has lots of fun each day and expresses his love for me in many ways. Still, his virtual lack of speech vocalization for the past 1.5 years is something I can't help but wonder about.

Well to almost answer my own question I did a search and found there is a site called International Association of Animal Behavior Consultants. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] They even have a Bird Division. Just thought you might want to take a look.Thanks Alice. I'll have a look.

94lt1
03-07-2015, 11:31 PM
@PlaxMacaws monte has stopped being as vocal as well.. He hasn't been injured.. But he's less and less vocal... However he's plucking a lot less??

He will do the "macaw blast" if we're eating and he wants some more... Lol.. But "come here" "hello" "cracker" and "I want out" .. Are never heard anymore..

PlaxMacaws
03-08-2015, 12:45 AM
@PlaxMacaws monte has stopped being as vocal as well.. He hasn't been injured.. But he's less and less vocal... However he's plucking a lot less??

He will do the "macaw blast" if we're eating and he wants some more... Lol.. But "come here" "hello" "cracker" and "I want out" .. Are never heard anymore..That's interesting, Brandon. Just out of curiosity, did Monte's vocalization seem to decline after a certain experience? Perhaps after exposure to something out of the norm for him, like a particular vet visit at which he became extra frightened (or something similar)? I can tell you that Zaf's failure to utter his usual words and phrases started precisely at his point of injury in late 2013. He still whispers "hi" to me and he'll mutter what sounds like a very slurred "hello" at times. But even those slurred "hellos" are quite rare for him. He has simply lost his will to say the things he knows how to say. Dianne mentioned that her TAG stopped talking at the age of 3 - and that's a Grey! I'm now wondering just how common this condition may be among parrots who have been living a contented life in the same home for a number of years?? Next month Zaf will have been living here with me for 10 years. I wonder if there have been any studies on this issue.

Oh and BTW... just as with Monte, Salsa resorts to emitting his 'macaw blasts' as a primary means to beg for food at mealtime here :D. Now as for Salsa, he talks up a storm! He's quite vocal each and every day. I can't imagine him ever going silent ;)

jtbirds
03-08-2015, 01:12 AM
Tony Lars my Blue throated was said to talk and when he first came he did seldom talk, now I barely have heard a peep from him in actual words in years. He makes goofy sounds and does some odd things I've taught him. I always wondered if the people that gave him to me might have been mislead and thought he was the one talking. It always struck me as alarming although he still shows he loves me so I dont worry to much, happy and healthy is all i can ask for:). Just thought id share my own odd story kinda like zafs, dont feel alone its odd one day maybe zaf and lars both will speak all the words again and then some!

spiritbird
03-08-2015, 01:14 AM
You can contact a bird whisperer or someone that communicates with animals on another level. I have done that on occasion. She had a web page called PET SPEAK.

spiritbird
03-08-2015, 01:18 AM
I believe in them. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

This one works with birds. [Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks]

PlaxMacaws
03-08-2015, 02:14 AM
Okay. I think I need to clarify again that I'm not trying to find a way to make Zaf start talking again. It's actually not terribly important to me that he talks at all. To me, Zaf being happy and healthy are the truly important elements as well! The only reason I've been pondering Zaf's loss of will to speak, and the reason it makes me worry, is the possibility that the behavior change in him may denote some lingering emotional trauma that has stemmed from his accident and the rough treatments he had to endure thereafter.

In any case, I'd like to thank each of you for your comments. I do appreciate them.

Note:
Dianne, if you post too soon after submitting a previous post it will tack it on to said previous post as an updated comment.

spiritbird
03-08-2015, 05:45 PM
I was not thinking you wanted to have him talk again. When I posted the communicators I was thinking that you may want to know if the leg break did any emotional damage.

PlaxMacaws
03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
I was not thinking you wanted to have him talk again. When I posted the communicators I was thinking that you may want to know if the leg break did any emotional damage.Understood Dianne. And I appreciate it. My comment was not directed at you. It was a general statement to the thread. I just wanted to reiterate the basis of my concern about Zaf.

94lt1
03-09-2015, 08:20 PM
That's interesting, Brandon. Just out of curiosity, did Monte's vocalization seem to decline after a certain experience? Perhaps after exposure to something out of the norm for him, like a particular vet visit at which he became extra frightened (or something similar)? I can tell you that Zaf's failure to utter his usual words and phrases started precisely at his point of injury in late 2013. He still whispers "hi" to me and he'll mutter what sounds like a very slurred "hello" at times. But even those slurred "hellos" are quite rare for him. He has simply lost his will to say the things he knows how to say. Dianne mentioned that her TAG stopped talking at the age of 3 - and that's a Grey! I'm now wondering just how common this condition may be among parrots who have been living a contented life in the same home for a number of years?? Next month Zaf will have been living here with me for 10 years. I wonder if there have been any studies on this issue.

Oh and BTW... just as with Monte, Salsa resorts to emitting his 'macaw blasts' as a primary means to beg for food at mealtime here :D. Now as for Salsa, he talks up a storm! He's quite vocal each and every day. I can't imagine him ever going silent ;)
Monte just slowed and stopped... We've got him under a light now.. And now he's perking up... Idk..

PlaxMacaws
03-09-2015, 10:59 PM
Monte just slowed and stopped... We've got him under a light now.. And now he's perking up... Idk..I see. My guess is there may be multiple causes that can be specific to each bird. And just for the record, last night before Zaf whispered his string of head-tilting "hi's" to me, he recited 6 very high voiced "hello's"! They were quite low in volume but were nonetheless very distinct. It's actually the first time I've heard him say hello as clearly as this since prior to his accident! It's peculiar how he decided to utter these hellos to me very soon after I wrote about his situation in this thread. But he hasn't said anything else (yet), much less started speaking at regular intervals as he used to do :(

94lt1
03-09-2015, 11:53 PM
I see. My guess is there may be multiple causes that can be specific to each bird. And just for the record, last night before Zaf whispered his string of head-tilting "hi's" to me, he recited 6 very high voiced "hello's"! They were quite low in volume but were nonetheless very distinct. It's actually the first time I've heard him say hello as clearly as this since prior to his accident! It's peculiar how he decided to utter these hellos to me very soon after I wrote about his situation in this thread. But he hasn't said anything else (yet), much less started speaking at regular intervals as he used to do :(
He's talking up a storm tonight.. We have rain in the area and Jessica is home.. Strange bird...

PlaxMacaws
03-10-2015, 12:11 AM
He's talking up a storm tonight.. We have rain in the area and Jessica is home.. Strange bird...Wow, I'm glad Monte is finally talking again! Zaf used to go crazy with his speak sessions whenever I'd run the vacuum. It would somehow prompt him to talk quite a bit as well as to stomp around in his water bowl. Well, he continues to take his foot baths whenever he hears the vacuum cleaner... but his speaking sessions are no more. That's great news about Monte, though :)

Lady
03-10-2015, 12:15 AM
They are more and more like human children every time you turn around. I can hear it now.... when we say they can say (fill in word here) to someone while showing them your bird, you can hear a pin drop. Or just the opposite, he/she has never said (again insert word here) and before you finish your sentence, they shout it out.