PDA

View Full Version : Help..Jethro has a cold

Lee007
02-24-2015, 10:12 PM
Hi everyone...I need some advice..

Jethro the Baby Major Mitchell has a cold....today i noticed his nostrils were damp and then i heard him sneeze...he also sounds like he has a croaky voice.

He is still eating and playing but is extra sooky.

are there any antibiotics i can get for him..i want to try to avoid injections if i can

Thanks

kendrafitz
02-24-2015, 10:57 PM
Hi Lee and welcome!

I would take him to an avian vet to be safe.

Rosie sneezes from the dust/fluffy down from molting and if she gets water in her nostrils. Either from showering or playing in her water dish. That can cause a clear discharge with a sneeze. I usually keep an eye on her if she has a clear discharge to make sure it is a one time thing. But I have brought her into the vet when it happened a few times. Also if it is not clear, get right in to the vet.

plax
02-25-2015, 01:14 AM
Hi Lee... I agree with Kendra. You should probably have him checked by an avian vet. It's quite a gamble to simply throw a broad-spectrum antibiotic at him and assume that whatever ailment he may have will respond favorably. As Kendra said, if Jethro's discharge has any color to it you should get him to an avian vet ASAP!

spiritbird
02-25-2015, 02:07 AM
Any updates for us? You have a beautiful bird and I hope he gets professional help quickly. There are no home treatments except to provide warmth and humidification. Where do you live? We could help you find an avian vet.

Lee007
02-25-2015, 03:57 AM
Hi guys thanks for all the advice.....

I am pretty sure our closest Avian vet is 600 KM away in Adelaide....if not the closest one is 1200 KM away in Melbourne.....and there was no "discharge" this morning on his beak just little spots of moisture around his nostrils ...

I checked Jethro when i got home from work...he seems fine no sign of any moisture around his nostrils at all..and was yelling full throttal when he heard my car pull into the driveway...LOL

We have NEVER seen him drink water from his dish.....in fact i have never seen him drink water full stop but i am assuming he has to be else he would be dehydrated or dead.......

i think i will just wait and see tomorrow what he is like and go from there....

Mare
02-25-2015, 05:23 AM
If he has water, I bet he drinks it :). My Umbrella cockatoo, also, has moist nasal area especially in the morning.. me, too. I wake up in the morns with a bit of clearing to do, too. Does this continue throughout the day with your bird?

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-25-2015, 10:25 PM
Casper sneezes sometimes and if we are lucky we are not in the way.
He doesn't drink water either, except when taking a shower which isn't as often as it should be. He seems to get enough liquid from the fruit he eats, often squidging all the juice out and leaving the pulp. His poop gets very watery if he has been scoffing pear or grapes.
Oh, and he did try Margaret's camomile tea once but drank too much, too quickly and made himself sick.