PDA

View Full Version : Foraging For Veggies

spiritbird
02-12-2015, 04:30 PM
I am posting some photos taken today, Feb. 12th. Every morning I fill up the netting attached to the play gym area above Daisy's cage. Kobe goes crazy eating everything. Each time I try to add a new veggie or green. Today it was yellow squash. Without a doubt if these choices were inside of a cage they would not be as interested in eating. On the menu is beet greens, kale, squash, carrots, sugar snap peas and broccoli in the middle of the netting. Some veggies you may not see but they are there. Daisy is not foraging as she is just now pulling out of a heavy grief. I hand feed her the greens and anything else she wants except the regular food.

These nettings make wonderful toys to use for many things. Came from MSBS

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Hey, looks like great fun. I wonder if Casper could be persuaded to eat his veggies like that. Margaret is going to crochet some thick string and give it a try.

plax
02-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Hi Dianne... I love your photos and I think it's great that your birds get such a nutritious variety of goodies each day :). I've taken the liberty of posting Kobe's messy face pic to our FB page. I hope that's okay. It's a great shot!

spiritbird
02-12-2015, 08:09 PM
Oh sure Kobe has a really messy face after he eats a carrot. I call his carrot face. Pin feather too.

Caspers friend Can your wife make a netting from hemp or another tough fiber? The birds are rather rough on them. Will love to see what she comes up with.

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-12-2015, 09:23 PM
She is using a ball of string, it looks like she is making some sort of basket, we will have to wait to see what she has in her mind as she is crocheting off piste. Will post pics. :th_smile:

Lady
02-13-2015, 12:36 AM
What wonderful pictures Dianne. Kobe looks like he is trying to decide just which veggie to devour first. Your babies sure have a wonderful Mom who is always thinking of ways to keep them entertained, well fed and happy!

spiritbird
02-13-2015, 02:42 AM
I really like the photo of Lady in your avatar.

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-13-2015, 06:25 PM
Margaret had it done in less than an hour, she filled it with goodies this morning and after having a quick look Casper has ignored it. Ho-hum.

spiritbird
02-14-2015, 12:19 AM
Oh Casper you have a wonderful foraging net there. How can you resist?

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-14-2015, 12:50 AM
After we had covered him up for the night, like a naughty kid he started playing with it. We were concerned that he might get a foot caught in the net so removed it from the cage. He can have it back in the morning!
He hasn't got the hang of this foraging lark yet. There is one of his favorite treats, a nutriberry, in the net which he hasn't realised yet.

Lady
02-14-2015, 01:37 AM
The net Margaret made looks great, maybe I can come up with something for Lady. Thanks you guys for the inspiration, I will be searching around for some safe rope and see what I can come up with too.

Mare
02-14-2015, 05:32 AM
I also crochet, yarn would worry me with my birds nails getting caught. A hemp fiber or macramé type stiff/crusty string would probably work well.

I love your set-up, Dianne! Lucky Kobe, indeed!

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-14-2015, 04:57 PM
Margaret used natural twine sold for use in the garden.
Casper found the goodies inside the cargo net today
and then had fun swinging the net about
He has also been redesigning the cotton and rubber easy clean mat under his cage.

Lady
02-14-2015, 06:53 PM
Not wanting to hijack this thread, I've found some sisal rope but it smells strange, like oil. I will post pics and ask your thoughts on another thread.

Casper's 2nd best friend
02-14-2015, 10:45 PM
Perhaps it is hemp and that is the smell of cannabis oil. :pinkgrin:

spiritbird
02-15-2015, 01:28 AM
Where did you get it? Pretty sure the one I have is sea grass. You will find it on My safe bird store. Not overly expensive.

Lady
02-15-2015, 01:44 AM
I think I got the rope from Home Depot at least that is what it says at the bottom of the packaging. I will check out MSBS as soon as I put my next order in.

I don't think it is a hemp oil smell, but it is too strong for me to feel comfortable enough to use for Lady. If it is not to busy at work tomorrow I may take a quick run to HD and see if it is indeed something they still carry and if they have any less smelly type of natural rope.

King Parrot
10-05-2015, 05:05 AM
These photos are mesmerizing for every one whom love keep birds in their house. Its great to see that how healthy competition its look like for a parrot to manage and visit.
For some more funny and amazing videos visit to my awesome website cuteparrots.com