PDA

View Full Version : Any Suggestions?

spiritbird
02-04-2015, 02:38 PM
I have been finger training Kobe for about a month now and he will step up inside the cage when I have a millet spray in my hand. He will not step up outside of the cage but that will eventually come. I am pretty sure a negative behavior has developed from this training technique. Kobe will now chase my hand when I am holding any type of food to bite me. He is possessive of his food now. Do you have any suggestions how I can go about reversing this behavior?

spiritbird
02-05-2015, 04:08 AM
:bump:

Mare
02-05-2015, 04:27 AM
No..o.o..no idea, not from me. I try and just be me with my birds, I've never tried to enforce their behavior.

PlaxMacaws
02-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Maybe if/when Kobe begins to realize that the food you're holding is intended for him, and that you're not trying to keep it from him, he will become less aggressive about the situation. Does it make a difference if you only hold a small amount of the food? Perhaps if you only hold the amount of food that you intend to give him, he will more quickly realize that he's always going to get what you have in your hand without a fight. That's just one idea.

Pinkbirdy
02-06-2015, 12:54 AM
With the getting him to step up to go back in . Have you tried where you put your finger in front of him and your other hand going up under his bottom? I would focus on the step up part. So when hes being grumpy with the food you can put him back . Keep your time out with him short if he continues to be like this . Then he can learn rules and your not giving him a big head [thinking he can do whatever he wants].Praise for the little steps you make with him when hes out.

spiritbird
02-06-2015, 01:24 AM
It is only a millet spray he gets possessive of. I learned if he gets a hold of it in his foot there is no bite or pinch. The second he bites me I stop and take the millet away. He is a headstrong little guy so he needs to know not to bite the hand that feeds him treats. He gets so excited when I put veggies in his cage or playgym but no bites. He only seems to bite if I withdraw the millet. I think this will pass. When he does bite I say No and leave him for a time out.

PlaxMacaws
02-06-2015, 03:24 AM
It is only a millet spray he gets possessive of. I learned if he gets a hold of it in his foot there is no bite or pinch. The second he bites me I stop and take the millet away. He is a headstrong little guy so he needs to know not to bite the hand that feeds him treats. He gets so excited when I put veggies in his cage or playgym but no bites. He only seems to bite if I withdraw the millet. I think this will pass. When he does bite I say No and leave him for a time out.He may view it as a challenge, a sort of competition with you. Frequently birds compete with other birds for goodies, etc. They peck at, steal from, and even bite one another during their efforts to gain goodies for themselves.