PDA

View Full Version : What a MESS to come home to!!

Mare
05-01-2013, 05:13 PM
I just got home last night, from 6 days in Baja. My hubby held down the fort, here, taking care of birds, cats, dogs, horses, garden and himself through that time. My niece was getting married and asked if I would please come and also give her a wedding hair up-do on her day. I love Baja, we have a place down there and it has always been challenging for my husband and I to go together because of the birds, mostly.
My husband had bought a fairly large outdoor cage for Amigo, in hopes that we could someday travel together and have a caretaker come in daily to help with the critters but the caretaker we had in mind, is our daughter who was a bridesmaid in the wedding, sooo...

I get home last night, 12hr. drive, exhausted, birds are already closed down for the night. Amigo has been locked in his indoor cage for six days. My husband can feed and water him, only. Amigo will not allow bodily contact, unless it's beak to flesh, so Amigo has not been out of his cage this whole time, nor, has his cage been cleaned.

HOLY MOLY! It looked like a bomb went off in Amigo's cage! I made sure his cage was clean and plenty of chew stuff to keep him busy while I was gone but I was not expecting to come home to just one perch still holding on, his rope perches are now mostly wire, his natural wood perches are all hanging against the side of the cage! His floor is littered with wood chips, torn paper, bird crap and food, dander and feathers that have been shed but not plucked, thankfully, and BOY was he happy to see me this morning!!

Sassy survived well. She loves my hubby and he had her out daily, even cleaned her cage. I'm now busy doing a re-model on Amigo's cage, he is now outside RIPPING it up!

Honesty
05-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Sorry you have come home to such a mess Mare:(

They just dont seem to be able to cope with them the way we can:(

Mare
05-01-2013, 06:48 PM
Wendy, my surprise wasn't that my husband wasn't able to do anything about it, because I knew he couldn't, but more the fact that this bird could produce such a mess! He's always been destructive, I believe that's a cockatoo trait, but he took down four perches, left one intact. He had flung food bowls, upended water bowls and screamed a lot! I contacted my husband two days before I got home and he tells me, "HURRY UP" and get here!, your bird misses you!!"
This is one of the down sides of having a free flying bird. :(

SharonC
05-01-2013, 06:55 PM
Your husband sounds wonderful!!!

Mare
05-01-2013, 07:07 PM
Thanks, Sharon, my husband is wonderful and puts up with a lot. He's also, and has always been, a great father to our kids. We've been fortunate to have him in our lives! I must add, though, he HAS threatened to run away from us and MOVE to Baja by himself!

Honesty
05-01-2013, 07:16 PM
LOL... sounds like Amigo was missing you and was having tantrums while you were gone:)

I bet he was pleased to see you home?

Pinkbirdy
05-02-2013, 02:45 AM
Arnt you amazed what a 2 can do . I know that look on your face you must have had [Ive experienced It too :) . But even though mines been the messiest [I would thrilled at the mess ] cause he didnt take any thing out on himself.:) You should try stick training him [so your husband can get him in and out. ]

Mare
05-02-2013, 03:10 AM
Yes, I'm truly happy to see Amigo takes his frustrations out on other things besides himself, this is good. My husband had bought a pair of falconry gloves, a while back, and even though I had gotten Amigo use to them, I could handle him fine, pet him, pick him up and move him around with these gloves on, my husband got blood drawn THROUGH the glove while trying to move Amigo from outside to his indoor cage. :( I've tried stick training him and it just makes him angry. He loves my daughter and she can handle him as well as I, so, she is my first choice when it comes to someone helping to take care of him.

keepsmiling
05-02-2013, 04:12 AM
A[Users must be registered and logged in to view attached photos or hyperlinks] him missed you!
They make a glove for monkey handlers that is super tough. I think that might be strong enough. It is lined with metal I believe, like what you use to protect yourself from sharks if I am not mistaken.

roxynoodle
05-02-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm sorry, I can't help but laugh! Yes, this just reinforces to me that I'd really rather not be a 'Too guardian :)

Mare
05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks Carole, I'll check out those gloves! Now I have this picture in my head of, "flying sharks"!, that's about right!

Audrey, don't be afraid!

roxynoodle
05-02-2013, 02:23 PM
Oh...I thought it was well known that cockatoos are flying sharks :th_laughing6:

Mare
05-02-2013, 03:55 PM
Either that or flying monkeys! When pigs fly, though, I'll have seen everything!

aliray
05-02-2013, 05:37 PM
If he is used to flying outside wouldn't it be better to leave him out with hubby just giving him his food and water outside or is he coming in every night? If hubby got a suit of armour or chain mail he could still go out in the yard to take care of the rest without being in fear of his life. HEHE. Then Amigo could take his frustation out on the trees and back porch instead. Just a thought

Mare
05-02-2013, 05:53 PM
Yes, Alison, you would think this could be possible. The problem takes place when Amigo thinks he should be in. When he comes a knocking on his back door and nobody is home to let him in, well,,,he then tries to chew his way in, by way of beautiful redwood trim. If my husband would let him in, at that time, Amigo would chase him from the room, as in attacking, and the cedar walls of the room and window trim, would be demolished, (more than they are, already).
Our daughter is the only other person I would trust to allow Amigo his freedom while I was not around.

Amigo is getting so much better with my son when he comes to visit, my husband and Amigo get along great, while outside. Amigo is VERY territorial of his room, though. No dog, cat or human is allowed in there, besides me. Sassy and he share this room but only while caged.